Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

HELP PLEASE!!! STARTING PROBS WITH ATV!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 01:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP PLEASE!!! STARTING PROBS WITH ATV!!

HI I AM NEW TO THE ATV WORLD AND HAVING SOME PROBLEMS. I BOUGHT MY KIDS A USED 110CC ATV AND RECENTLY IT WILL NOT START. WHEN I TRY TO START IT THE STARTER BARELY TURNS OVER THE MOTOR, AS IF THE BATTERY IS ALMOST DEAD. I REPLACED BATTERY, SOLENOID, AND THE CDI. NO LUCK. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME TROUBLE SHOOT THIS. I NEED AN IDEA OF WHAT ELSE COULD BE THE PROBLEM. CAN'T AFFORD TO BE PUTTING ANYMORE MONEY INTO REPLACEMENT PARTS THAT WON'T FIX IT! PLEASE HELP ME!! THANK YOU!!!
JNETTY

Old 12-24-2008, 01:39 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default HELP PLEASE!!! STARTING PROBS WITH ATV!!

Measure the voltage right on the starter terminal to engine ground while cranking. If it is low then measure the voltage right on the battery terminals (+ and -) while cranking. If it is much higher than the voltage at the starter then look for bad connections in the path from the battery to the starter, and from the engine ground back to the minus terminal of the battery.

The starter itself could be bad. You can remove it, wire it up, and see if it spins freely when you press the starter button.

In rare cases the engine could be frozen up. Remove the side cover over the stator and use the crankshaft nut to turn the engine over to see if it turns. Make sure the ignition is off and kill switch is activated when you do this - you don't want any possibility of it starting up with a wrench attached.

Are you sure the new battery is charged? You can try jumping it to your car if you are not sure. Just be sure to get it hooked up with the right polarity - the current levels will be enormous if you get it backwards and it may damage your quad battery if left for more than a fraction of a second. Also, be aware that if your quad battery is low on charge then the car battery will start pumping charge current into it at more than the recommended rate. This will shorten the life of the quad battery a little, but then again so does leaving a battery in a discharged or partially charged state. Once the quad battery starts to charge up the current from the car battery will diminish, eventually going down to zero. If you quad battery is fully charged then jumping it to your car battery will have no effect on your starting problem.