Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

110cc atv loses power

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 110cc atv loses power

Alright fellas...you've helped me with every problem I've had thus far so hoping someone has another solution for me.

My quad now starts right away and idles easily. I take off and everything seems fine for the first several minutes then I start to loose power. Soon it won't climb any amount of incline and ultimately dies when I give it throttle. It will start up again right away and I'm able to move on a flat surface, but not at full power and will die again if I'm turning on rougher terrain or trying to climb again.

I can let it sit overnight, then I repeat the same process. Thoughts???

Old 02-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Trailblazer

My thought is that such a insufficient power and die problems could be caused by secondary air sucking at intake area. Let me suggest that you check and re-assemble firmly with flat and clean surfaces at every flange of connecting part.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: cbolton1973

Alright fellas...you've helped me with every problem I've had thus far so hoping someone has another solution for me.

My quad now starts right away and idles easily. I take off and everything seems fine for the first several minutes then I start to loose power. Soon it won't climb any amount of incline and ultimately dies when I give it throttle. It will start up again right away and I'm able to move on a flat surface, but not at full power and will die again if I'm turning on rougher terrain or trying to climb again.

I can let it sit overnight, then I repeat the same process. Thoughts???</end quote></div>

When it dies, if you stop and wait 30 seconds does it start back up and run fine for a while before losing power?

It sounds like it is starved of fuel. On mine (I've been through this) it was a defective fuel petcock shutoff valve which I had to drill out. But lack of fuel could be many things - clogged filter, kinked hose, etc. The symptoms are classic: Starts and runs great for 10 minutes or so then bogs. Wait a minute and the cycle repeats, but the time to bogging down is much less.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

When I initially got the quad, it wouldn't start at all. I was ultimately able to get it started when I sprayed starting fluid into the air filter, so figured out it was (as you mentioned) starving for fuel. I cleaned the carb and afterwards was able to start and adjust mixture and idle, so it starts up and runs great initially.

Haven't done anything else with the carb. So I'll check out the other things you guys mentioned regarding air intake or lack of fuel. I've seen many posts about taking the top off the carb and moving the pin down on the needle to allow more fuel to enter. Is this something I should just plan on doing anyway?

One more thing - on mine there is no petcock or any way to shut the gas off, which I thought was odd. Is this going to cause a problem for me?

Old 02-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Range Rover

What machine is this, what size engine?

Old 02-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

It's a chinese 110cc. Unfortunately that's about all I can tell you. I don't have a brand or model on it.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think from a safety standpoint you would want a shut off valve. When I park my quad in the garage I shut the fuel off. If a leak develops in the carberator, without a shutoff valve your entire gas tank will spill out onto the floor out the overflow tube.

You have an in line fuel filter I hope?

Hard starting when cold is a sign of valves being adjusted too tight. Valves on these machines tighten with wear, and also tighten with cooling. The other symptom of tight valves is that once the quad starts up, it will run and start great until it is allowed to cool all the way back down to ambient temperature.

The best way to test for intake leaks is to spray carberator cleaner around the intake manifold area while at a fast idle. Any change in engine speed while spraying indicates a leak.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, I do have an in line fuel filter at least. I'll purchase a shut off valve for the fuel line and test for any intake problems. I'll post back as go through the steps to resolve the problem.

Thanks for all the tips Lynn. You've been a great help.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK....I have the fuel shut off valve in. I 've done some additional work with the carb and checked for any air intake issues. All seem fine and the engine is up and running really well now. The difficulty with climbing or rougher terrain is still there, however. The engine no longer cuts out when hitting the throttle when I am stopped on an incline and try to climb, it just doesn't want to move.

The best way to describe it is like this...My son had a small 50cc dirt bike. I weigh 190 lbs, so if i tried to climb a hill with it the thing wouldn't climb because the small engine just can't carry the weight. This quad reacts the same way,like it just doesn't have the power to get me up a hill but at 110cc it should not have a problem. Right??? I know the weight is a factor, as my son (at 105 lbs) is able to climb with it but not as quickly/easily as he should be able to.

This thing is fully automatic and does have an adjustable clutch, but it doesn't feel like its slipping. It would be similar I suppose to trying to climb a hill in a car from a complete stop in 2nd or 3rd gear. The power just isn't there.

Am I still missing something?

Old 02-20-2009, 01:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

I come from Chinese ,can you upload pictures

Maybe I can tell you brand or model on it

Quick Reply: 110cc atv loses power