Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

raceway utility 100 hard to turn over

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raceway utility 100 hard to turn over

I bought this 110 from Raceway for my son for Christmas. It has been difficult to start from the start. It turned out to be a bad rear kill switch initially but has been still hard to start. The problem is that the starter doesn't seem to have the power to turn over the engine. I thought it may be just a bad battery so I installed a replacement from AutoZone. Made no difference, even after a full charge. I hooked up a battery minder and that still made no difference. So I then thought that I had initially did damage to the starter trying to find the kill switch problem when I first got it. It eventually croaked and I thought that must have been it. I got a replacement from raceway under warranty(they provide good customer service by the way) and installed it. Again, no difference. The engine either barely turns over or the solenoid just goes click, even with a charger installed and the battery fully charged. The only way to sure-fire get it to turn over at a good rate is to put the charger to start(110 amps) with a fully charged battery and it will go over pretty good. I'm starting to think that there has to be some kind of compression release on the engine or maybe the clutch is binding up. I'm starting to worry that I will burn up the new starter. i've checked connections and all are good. Any help is greatly appreciated. Especially from the wife who cannot get it started when I am not there. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raceway utility 100 hard to turn over

I have a 110 atv and when I had starter issues it was the starter. But its sounds like you've replaced the starter, battery and all connections are good and tight. But it still will not turn over properly.

You could have resistance in your starting circuit. So a simple way to check for resistance in this circuit is too do a voltage drop test with a volt meter. So for this set your DV on 12volts d/c, hook one lead up to the positive battery post then the other to the + terminial on the starter. Then you start cranking your engine over and see if you get a voltage reading on volt meter. You should get nothing much maybe .2 of a volt. If you get a high reading like 8 or 10 volts you have high resistance in the circuit.

Let me know if you have any more questions