Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

New ATV won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ATV won't start

I have a 110cc Chinese knockoff with a Loncin engine. Bought it back in August just got around to getting it running. Put gas in it and charged the battery but will not start. I checked the spark plug and it seems to work fine, It turns over fine, unhooked the fuel line where it plugs into the carberator and fuel flows quite freely out of it. I tried using the throttle when starting and the pulled the spark plug and did not notice any fuel on it or a fuel smell to it. I have messed with the needle valve on the carberator and still nothing. I jumped the connection with the rear kill switch with a paper clip and still no start. My obvious guees is no fuel is going into the combusiton area. I was going to squirt a cc or 2 of fuel into the spark plug area and see if I could get ti to start if only briefly. The other thing is there are three small rubber hoses that come off of the engine are. one of the carberator and two off of the lower engine area that do not plug into anything not sure if those should be connected to something or not. If does have a remote start and I have checked all the fuses and lights and they all seem to work.
Any suggestions???

Thanks,
JACADS

Old 03-18-2009, 12:01 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like no fuel. I agree with you. Does the flowt bowl have gas?

Note: The kill switch has to be open (unplugged, or wires not connected) for the engine to run. Shorting the wires with a paper clip "kills" the engine.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Which part is actually the float bowl? Will try it with the kill switch unplugged.

Thanks

Old 03-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a similiar problem, with mine I checked the fuel line, gas is flowing freely. I removed the carb and sprayed it out with Carb cleaner and it didnt seem very dirty at all. The float bowl is getting Fuel into it. Just not usre its combusting? If I spray starter fluid into the Carb it starts right up, until it uses up that fluid and then it dies again. I just cant seem to get fuel to combust. Not sure if there is a needle issue, or the Idle screw is too tight or loose, etc.... anyone have any ideas?

thanks!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Range Rover

There should be a hose coming out of the bottom of the carb. There will be a valve screw above that. Try opening that valve and see if gas flows out of that tube. If not then the float is definitely stuck.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Loosened up the set screw and fuel came pouring out the bottom of the hose that is attached to the float bowl. What next

Old 03-20-2009, 07:31 AM
Range Rover

One thing you might want to check is if the slide is moving including the needle. So open the throttle wide open and make sure the slide and needle lifted.

OK... There should be two adjustable screws on the side of the carb.
One should be coming straight out (inline with the throttle cable and the slide) that is the idle screw. Screw in for faster idle, out for slower.
The other one will be just over from that toward the engine and be at a slight angle. This is the air fuel mixture screw. In leans out the mixture, out riches.

Have you done anything with air fuel mixture screw? If not gently turn in the screw until it stops (Not too hard or you will break the needle tip in the carb!) Not totally sure with yours, but with our Jetmoto we needed to turn it out 1 full turn, I know other carbs are more. I guess would start at 1 full turn and try to start. If it doesn't start turning a 1/4 turn increments and trying again.

If all of that checks out. It l think it is time to dismantle the carb, clean it, and verify all the jet holes are open.

Good luck!

Old 03-20-2009, 08:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Is the air fuel ratio the set type screw next to the needle valve? My throttle cable comes into the carberator from the top from the left side of the carberator I have a screw with a spring on it and I have a set screw next to it toward the front of the ATV. Should I squirt some fuel into the spark plug area and see if the atv will fire?

Thanks

Old 03-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Range Rover

Sounds like you are describing the correct screw for the air fuel ratio.

I thought you already did squirt some fuel into the spark plug hole... I'd say yes. But before that move the spark plus out of the way so you don't get zapped, put your thumb over the spark plug hole, and turn over the engine to verify that you are getting good suction and pressure.