Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Newb with some Q's

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb with some Q's

First off, Hello. Been reading for a few days, first time poster.
Just picked up a 2000 eton txl 50 for my youngest son. Wouldn't run for the PO, sold it to me for next to nothing. Took it home, cleaned it up, cleaned out the carb, new batt., and plug, got it to start up. Starts easier with the kick starter. Doesn't run very good.

Did a comp check, it's a hair over 80. doesn't want to rev.
Read around on here about disabling the rev limiter but can't find the green wire. Where can I find it on this quad?

80 seems low for comp? What should it be?
Looked into a top end kit. Seems like I should just buy a 47mm kit and go up to 70cc, about the same $$. Good or bad Idea?

Can't find a service manual, and Idea's where I can get one thats down loadable? Don't want to wait for one in the mail. Eton didn't seem to have one for my year size.
Thanks.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

If the rider was ready, I'd get the 70cc kit.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Trailblazer

ordering the 47mm kit. Says it's a bolt on no other mods needed.... Think I'll have to play with the jetting and clutch?
Still can't find a service manual for the older etons?
Any other cheap mods anyone knows of? Can't find a cheap pipe anywhere, anyone know if the stock pipe can be modded without any negative affects?

Old 07-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Trailblazer

Nobody?

Old 07-19-2009, 05:09 AM
Trailblazer

prior to my drr pipe, We remobed the spark arrestor on our eton viper 70. Not sure if the 50 has one or not? One bolt at the exit if muffler, then twist it sise to side while pulling outward

Old 07-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Trailblazer

Can't unbolt the back of the pipe on this older model. I'm just going to cut it open and see if i can open it up a little bit. Then I'll just weld it back up. Should get my engine kit end of this week. I'll slap it together and start playing with the jets. I believe it has a 18mm carb on it. Anyone ever do a similar mod to theirs and switch to premix, and ditch the oil injection? Just wondering what jet to start with. Thanks, Frank.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Just a question for you.. why are you modifying something that you feel has issues without solving them first? If you have rev problems, I'd be looking for an electical or CDI issue... Carb could still be dirty, and you may have a serious timing issue too... I think a basic run through may be necessary...Can you give us a more detailed response on what you have done and checked? If it has sat for a while, you could also have air leaks etc...

Trending Topics

Old 07-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Most home brewed pipes don't work.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Trailblazer

Cleaned the carb, twice actually. Went through the whole bike basically. no air leaks(now), have excellent spark. Compression was 80psi or a hair less. I actually canceled the order for the 70cc kit and just ordered a piston and ring kit. Jug was still within spec after a hone, and the rings were real thin. I think the PO never realized the air box to carb tube would pop off. I'm not messing with the pipe after all. Still have to check and clean up the clutch and stuff yet. Just waiting to get the parts and get the engine back together.

Would still like to ditch the oil injection. Will I need to re-jet? I know others have done this, any ideas of what jet to start with?

Old 07-27-2009, 07:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

"Jug was still within spec after a hone,"
You'll need to measure the piston to wall clearance with the new piston to see if it is within specs.

Quick Reply: Newb with some Q's