Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Stator on Raptor 80

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stator on Raptor 80

I have an '04 raptor 80. It doesn't get spark. I've relpaced coil, cap, and CDI. No luck. I've been told the stator might be the problem. I have also read that the this is a double sided stator and only one side is used. Can I use the opposite side to try and get spark back. I like to try before replacing or having stator rebuilt (rewound). Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks

Old 12-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Trailblazer
Default This is what I found in stator

I pulled flywheel and right side coil has several wires attatched. Green wire with white strip only was resting on connection point. If it was ever sodered it's no now. I'm thinking this might be the short that's been keeping me from getting spark. I'll try to attach picture. If anyone has more info on this wiring (what the green/white wire is) I'd appreciate.

thanks

Attached Thumbnails Stator on Raptor 80-100_0910.jpg  
Old 12-05-2009, 01:08 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know anything about Raptors. But no one else is jumping in here so I'll put out my best guess. If anyone else has ideas they can chime in too.

I think your battery charge/lighting coil is one the left. The Ignition supply coil is on the right. The small coil that sits outside the flywheel is the source of your ignition trigger signal.

Maybe the green/white wire is the ground for your ignition supply coil. That might explain no spark. Why not solder it back up and see if that fixes the problem?

Old 12-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Trailblazer
Default good news, bad news

Good news... I solderd the loose wire on the stator and now get great spark.

Bad news... Engine still not starting. Bikes been sitting quit awhile so I drained and put in new fuel. I going to check valve adjustments. Hasn't been done, I'm original owner.

I feel alot better now that I have spark.
I'll keep you posted.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Trailblazer
Default Success

I adjusted the intake valve and the quad fired right up. Exhaust valve was still within spec so i left it as is. Heading out to Pismp the week after Xmas and my son is happy to have his machine up and running.

Thanks for your input LynnEdwards.

Happy Riding

Old 12-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by jaymarti
I adjusted the intake valve and the quad fired right up. Exhaust valve was still within spec so i left it as is. Heading out to Pismp the week after Xmas and my son is happy to have his machine up and running.

Thanks for your input LynnEdwards.

Happy Riding
I'm glad you got it running. I wonder if you mean Pismo Beach? I haven't been there yet. I've talked about it a lot with my neighbor but we seem to never get enough free time at the same time to head down there. He wrecked his quad pretty good at Carnegie over thanksgiving, and is laid up for a while. Maybe in the spring...

Old 12-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider

LynnEdwards,
What happened to your friend if you don't mind me asking???

Old 12-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by rjdad
LynnEdwards,
What happened to your friend if you don't mind me asking???
He was riding on a narrow trail carved into a steep hill. He hit something and went over the edge and down the hill. A tree branch took him off the back of the quad, then he nailed an oak tree with his shoulder. The quad went 50 feet to the bottom.

He'll be fine. No broken bones but 30% of his body has turned deep purple. He's 67 years old so I expect recovery will take a little longer than for someone much younger.

The quad will survive too. I rode it out on a flat tire. The front end is smashed in. I'm going to need to do some straightening and some minor repair welding.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

I am glade to hear that he wil be fine (no broken bones). Thank you for sharing the story with us.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Trailblazer

LynnEdwards,

I did mean Pismo Beach, actually Oceano Dunes. We have a great time camping on the beach and riding the dunes. I feel for your friend and his crash at Carnegie.I live just up the road in Lodi. A few summers ago i was there in July and my quad lost traction going side hill at the top of a ridge. I come off the bike and ended up below the quad as we both rolled down hill. My brother-n-law watched the bike chase me. he said every time i jumped to the side the bike changed the same direction and after about fifty feet it caught me. Thank God for helmets. The quad rolled another fifty feet landed wheels up and I was able to ride out. Busted headlights and bent clutch lever and I was scraped and bruised but unbroken. Carnegie is a tough place on quads, I like taking an extra hour and going to Hollister, much more quad friendly and good trails for beginners on up.

Quick Reply: Stator on Raptor 80