Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

lt80 with no head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like you are making alot of jetting changes at once. SLow down and make one change at a time. Ride it wot to color the plug and find a main jet that works best. Then adjust that needle. If it is bogging down and you cant adjust the needle, then you have to change the needle to one with a more aggressive taper. You might also have too much carb for that motor. When the RPMs hang up on decel it means you have the idle set too high. You rarely need to change the pilot jet but dialing that in gets pretty complicated.

Have the head milled. its worth it. make sure you run higher octane fuel with higher compression.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Trailblazer

mine goes to 10lbs=120in but I also thought about the accuracy down low. problem is they're more expensive. I'm gonna go see my dad today so I'll see if he has a 3/8" tq wrench...

as for the jet changes, I made them on the simple point it wouldn't run without missing. obviously it got better if it would not bog. basically you really had a 90% chance it would bog and not make full throttle. once I leaned it out there was a swing 180* and it would rev high all the time.. seemed more peppy. the plugs that WERE in the bike were black anyway and kind of wet looking so I could pretty much assume it was running really rich... to me if it doesn't run to a very rideable degree, then I lean it and it's rideable I made the right choice. I actually moved the needle richer before lean just to be sure I was going the right way and it bogged more if not the same... I moved the needle setting to the max setting both ways (actually tried every setting on the needle) and found it to run best on the highest setting as it was the only one I didn't get alot of flooding. the hanging revs are probably because the engine is leaning out from the leaking as well as my jetting. I can play with it til the idle won't even hold and I need to rev it to stay on and it still hangs.

I was totting around my head with me trying to get it milled yesterday to no avail LOL, still in the car actually. I will do it tho and probably only .040" and possibly run premium... we'll see, I need to get it running good before I worry too much about that lol. also plan on getting the exhaust port raised .065" got my clutch apart and I will be getting the shoes to 180g a piece myself if I can borrow a scale from my buddy lol

I think everything would've been beautiful today if I hadn't pulled the head gasket that was a huge mistake. I read it on here from another noob to LT80s and thought to myself hey, if he did it... which clearly I should've been concentrating on listening to the more experienced guys lol

Old 04-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

You gotta get rid of that crappy carb IMO.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:06 AM
Trailblazer

yeah, I think I will... I got my gaskets in yesterday but we're on oahu to see a child neurologist and got my 11 month old daugter an MRI... her seizure epilepsy deal she had one like an hour ago which puts us out of her every 3 week time frame but she was pretty stressed couldn't eat solid food since yesterday and couldn't have liquids for like 4 hrs prior to her sedation and crap so eh.. hoping tomorrow to wrench on it a hair after work when we fly back home... hoping swapping to stock carb and reed cage doesn't give a big drop in power we'll see I suppose a functional running bike with less power beats a bike that's got more power but is down all the time lol... I'll update when I have an update to give if not I'll be back with more qs LOL

Old 04-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

"hoping swapping to stock carb and reed cage doesn't give a big drop in power"
Why would it? It isn't like a stock motor can use any more flow.
My motors can rev to 12k+ with the stock carb. The stock carbs work well IMO.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Trailblazer

so when you add a large carb to one of your motors with a different reed cage or modded cage you don't notice more throttle response less throttle to get more umfff and better off the line power?

I kind of think if I pull it off it won't just stand up when I hit the gas on asphalt so I'm kinda hesitant to pull it for that reason only lol.

with alot of vehicle like my titan for example... it doesn't necessarily NEED more air. it has plenty to burn the gas it can run thru the injectors (yes EFI obviously since it's newer) but if I put a larger throttle body on there it gains a little power peak as well as has more throttle response and slight gains thru the entire power band... the stock throttle body is good for even turbo, nos and supercharged apps. it doesn't mean that I won't get gains from putting the larger one on....

so if I already had said larger one, it makes sense that if I go back. I am removing the power I already added... so back to what I think it won't wheelie on it's own off the line... I don't lean back, don't pull the bars up or back, just hit it a little and it stands up. almost hard to steer from a stop as it lifts up so you really don't turn much til it hits the ground so I kinda just point it where I wanna go 1st lol. I'll try to get a vid towards the weekend, my headgasket is here so I'll do the head gasket 1st then go from there. it also only has 3 rollers in. I have my clutch partly disassembled so I'm hoping to lighten the shoes but it won't be til this weekend at the earliest

Old 04-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

""so when you add a large carb to one of your motors with a different reed cage or modded cage you don't notice more throttle response less throttle to get more umfff and better off the line power?""

Hmmm, I can wheelie out of the hole and go 45+ (MX gearing)...I agree a bigger carb must be the thing to do...
Hmmm, A guy came to the TT race with a 500 dollar carb set-up..My stock carbed machine was in front..

I have a extra 36mm Lectron. I better mod up a reed cage and get some real power...
I'm ordering some big wide tires and a power up kit from midwest too. j/k

I'm not saying that you'll have more or less power, I'm saying that according to your posts, the stock carb will be less trouble.

Oh boy, A guy just emailed. He bought a tachometer. Stock carb, stock pipe,,12500 rpm's.
I don't know my own strength!

Old 04-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Trailblazer

MX gearing = ??? 10t front 26t rear? or???

I figured it would possibly be some sort of gain. there must be something to gain otherwise you wouldn't have to mod the stock carb or reed cage... if your porting gets it closer to a larger opening on a reed cage my large reed cage will probably work similar is all I'm getting at. is it WAY oversized, yeah more than likely, if I tune it I won't get any more gains than the motor can run with I suppose.. but I still believe it does put up slight gains, gains that can be shown on a dyno with the large motors I think it was less than a 15% gain but even a 10% gain is a gain imo... I don't recall how much I think it was actually single digit gains but it was there across the board and on a 6hp motor IF I could see the same 6% I'd still be happy

the power up kit as well as everything in the sig came on the bike I got it for $200... the wheels I got off LT80 # 3 which I traded for so imo I didn't buy anything but the bike LOL but it's cool I don't take offense to the jokes at my expense obviously more air in helps, if not you'd probably be running stock carb NO MODS, stock airbox, stock airfilter, stock reeds, stock reed cage NO MODS and not be holding anything back.... at least by the logic you're presenting here you can argue all day you can port a stock carb and reed cage and get more power, but in the end porting it out is doing the same thing as getting a larger one anyway imo... mine may not be as fine tuned and would loose to you in a drag race or any type of race but I still got my entire bike for $200 if I choose to put the tires back on that came for it...

IF I were to BUY a pipe, it WOULD be the trinity, which I will buy one day if I choose to keep one of these around for any amount of time but I just found an 86 atc 250r for $1800 stock and super clean... so I really want to pick it up wish it was a trx since I like quads better but if I get me a missle kit one day it would look as cool as I like and have alot more power than any 80cc I've ever heard of. even one built by the mighty guru himself

and if I ever get the approval and ballz to coin up I'll still get a national Moore setup, but regardless up is still up and down is still down regardless how many time I run around in circles...

Old 04-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

I'm going to answer a cpl things then be done.
MX gearing: 13/26 (428) with 16" tires.
Mod carb: I put a extra vent hole so it don't bog in a turn. That's it. No useless boring or the like.
The 3 wheeler sounds cool.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:53 AM
Trailblazer

done, bleh, you're never done, I don't believe u I think you don't want to argue atm, you'll change your mind in the morning

I found a good line online. it's pointless to argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.... I love that one LOL... come on, don't leave it was just getting fun :P

Quick Reply: lt80 with no head gasket