Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

lt80 with no head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt80 with no head gasket

so I had to do a little tuning on LT80#1 and read on here that you can remove the head gasket to raise compression so I tried it and it seemed to work. also noticed the bore is pretty big had alot of numbers/letters on it and it's larger than the .5mm piston as I spun it to the bottom stuck the 50.5mm in there and noticed it had alot of play enough to clank around in there lol. and went and put the 50.5 back in it's own bore and didn't have that kinda slop so I suppose it's a 51-52mm bore just like the gurl who sold it to me said...

anyway, any concerns I should have about the gasket and when milling is it more than the thickness of that gasket? it seems like it would make a bigger difference if it was a taller mil removed than that thin metal gasket

also pulled the variator and was revving it with no load to check tuning and moved the needle til it stopped bogging out when trying to rev and I'm pretty sure the jet is too rich, as I put it on the top setting and seemed to run the smoothest there. I figure I'll pull it out take it in and get one size smaller then start the needle in the middle again and try to tune it again see where that leaves me. alot of fuel spits out of the bottom spout is that normal or is because of the oversized mikuni carb I have on there? it's a very odd setup that's pretty much rigged so I've been thinking of putting a stocker back on

Old 03-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Trailblazer

I milled my head .30 and run a head gasket.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Trailblazer

so, how thick is the gasket? am I more than that or less is what I wanna know lol

also my mikuni on the intake side, in the intake is says 26 does that make it a 26mm? it's ALOT bigger than the stock so I think it is. had a 210 jet, I went to a shop just now and got a 200 and a 190. I have the 200 in now and put the needle back to the middle and it sounds cleaner but with my large fuel line it floods it pretty quick, I previously had it super long and had a huge loop in it so the gravity didn't have as damatic of an effect but now it seemed to flood right away and fuel was just streaming out of the bowl overflow spout as fast as it was going down the line LOL even while running...

thinking of trying the 190 jet but if this keeps up I'm putting a stocker on as it's a pita really and imo is just way overkill for the most part, even the reed cage isn't stock and is really rigged looking... I figure if I can get it running better not too big of a deal but if I can't there's no point in having a large carb on it.. plus I really don't know if it makes that big of a difference.. I suppose it does as it stands up on it's own but I figured that was normal for these with a decent set of mods.. heh dunno if I even wanna mess with the jets more. it almost seems like its running lean now the revs kinda hang a little so I may put the needle to a richer setting and see what happens before moving to yet a leaner jet... in case its running too lean now...

Old 03-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Without porting a bigger carb does nothing. Heck, I don't think big carbs do that much for a fully ported motor.
You need to take the 26mm apart and see what's wrong with the float needle (fuel going by).
I'd be putting the stock carb stuff on.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Trailblazer

can't get the reed cage out lol. it's a rigged one too I got it running ok. but I think I have it lean or the gasket along with cheap fuel is causing detonation... so I need to put the gasket back on, and try some 92oct costco gas or get some ethanol free and see if it helps.

sucks because the bike sounds so much better it's not stuttering upon acceleration as it was with the larger main jet. I moved the needle position both ways and when I reached the top the motor sounded it's cleanest reving so I decided to get the smaller jet. but I think once I get that dialed in better it will be more of a monster. seemed like before you had to chop the throttle up to get it to full rev so I kinda figured it was a rich problem... but I'm concerned with the tacking noise to me it could be detonation knocking or pinging. I've never heard it before on a motor to know, but it sounds like valves tapping and to me on a motor with no cams/valves that's probably not good lol so I'm gonna experiment with that a little and see if we can get it going better. also hoping to get a small vid of it riding but we'll have to see.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:01 PM
Trailblazer

torque should be what about 10-12ft/lbs on the head?

Old 03-30-2010, 10:36 PM
Trailblazer

awesome... went to tighten them to 10ft lbs, slipped the little leaver, snapped two heads right off the studs. one was partially exposed so I could get it out, the other is a beeyotch and I'm gonna try a stripped screw removing setup... drill the stud then unscrew it with the second piece for the tool... I JUST looked at it today when I was at the store and always wanted one... let that be a lesson... next one and I'm gonna have me a suzuki bonfire... probably 3 of um no, anger management doesn't work if you don't apply any of it and I could care less at which point and would rather be mad and deal with things in a negative way

Old 03-31-2010, 08:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

ummm...100 inch pounds...
They broke off at the cases?
You should be able to use a punch and spin em out.m They usually are not stuck.
I don't think thee is a easy-out small enough for a 6mm bolt.
Who bought you wrenches anyways?? j/k

Old 03-31-2010, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer

I got a $29 walmart one and a set of reducers, then a stripped screw thing total after everything came out to about $100... waste of money... I should've just did it how I did my mopeds tighten them down as tight as I can with a small wrench not tight enough to strip anything but tight enough to assure it won't come off/loose... pita. ordered new gaskets yesterday should be a week. just a pita that it won't be rideable for another week by then my other one could almost be running if I pulled it apart and started putting good parts back onto the motor... but the other motor has a crack in the case as well, so I'm kinda waiting on a case I got a week or so ago on ebay.... paid priority mail and I'm begining to think the ashat shipped it parcel which takes 2 months to HI...

Old 04-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

100 in/lbs = 8.3ft/lbs...Need to buy an in/lb torque wrench. Not to many ft lb set up that go below 20lbs. Even then, they are not very accurate at the bottom of their scales.

Quick Reply: lt80 with no head gasket