Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

200 Pounds on a LT-A50 Quad - Will I hurt it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010 | 03:54 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default 200 Pounds on a LT-A50 Quad - Will I hurt it?

I know, I know....I'm WAY over the weight limit for the quad.

However, the situation I have is we bought the quad (2005) for our son. Like riding for anyone else....you can only do it by youself for so long before it's not as fun as riding with others.

Soooo, I bought a little CRF50 dirt bike to ride with him. We just ride around our yard together...no jumps, no wheelies, just ride.

Of course he now wants to ride the bike and wants me to ride the quad.

Question I have about the quad is, am I going to smoke the clutch? When we bought the quad I rode it around the guys yard and with my weight on it it starts off real slow but will pretty quickly gain speed.

I just don't want to ruin the quad. I'll loosen the chain to compensate for my weight so I don't smoke the bearings but I don't know how the clutch will react. The obvious answer in my mind is I will burn up the clutch. I guess I'm just hoping someone will tell me I'm wrong.

Thanks guys.

Old 05-07-2010 | 05:30 PM
Range Rover

we had one and I used to tow the kids around the yard in the winter while they were on their sleigh. I am 235 and it never hurt ours at all. I actually got pretty good at doing wheelies on it lol

Old 05-20-2010 | 03:49 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!

Just keep the wheels on the ground and you should be fine

Old 05-20-2010 | 06:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Well, I wouldn't sweat it. Sounds like you aren't going to be beating on it or jumping it, a Japanese brand will be sturdy enough for that. I do jump my sons Honda 90 from time to time, just little ramps we make for the backyard and it has had no issues.

Old 05-20-2010 | 07:33 PM
|
Trailblazer

Thank you for the responses guys. I have been riding the quad and as everyone has said it seems to be fine....thank goodness.

We do have a couple little hills on each side of our house and trying to go up the hills, with my weight on it, is just to much for the little two stroke. I have to jump off and run along side it up the hill. Funny for my son to watch (just ask him, he'll tell ya)....but gets pretty old for good old dad after a while.

Solved all my concerns yesterday. I found a mint 2003 Kawasaki Bayou 250 about an hour from us and went and picked it up last night. This thing is just like brand new....not a scratch on the frame, skid plates, plastic, nothin. Guy had all the records of changing all the fluids every fall and it was stored inside with a cover on it when not used.

Guy said it was his wifes quad and they just used it on two tracks up north here in Michigan and his wife used it around the yard.

Got pretty lucky I think. Normally I have to look for about 6 months for anything used before I find something worth plunking money down for. Found this one in two days.

Battery was bone dry though and the seller did say they never used the electric start. Wife must have been a pretty strong chick to pull start this thing.

I'm going to post a question about the battery in the Kawasaki section 'cause I'm not proud....I want to use the electric start.....oh, and my wife will be useing the quad as well.

Thanks again for the responses.

Old 05-20-2010 | 10:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

I may get some grief for this one, but just measure up that battery and head down to your local Wally World and put a Maxx Start in it. I have bought Yuasa's that were twice as expensive and didn't last any longer. Just throw a quality battery tender on it if it will be sitting(one that shuts down when the bat is full) and you shouldn't have any longevity issues.

Old 05-22-2010 | 02:30 PM
Trailblazer

I have a china plastic riding toy battery in our LT80 LOL, it's one of two from a 24v mini thing smaller than a power wheels... it's been running it since day one (begining of this year I picked up the LT80) so I say get whatever battery can fit and start it I use a Ctek charger/maintainer and reconditioner. if I have a batt that's not too good (sealed mostly) I charge them and then maintain them. I had two, I put one in the mini chopper I fixed up and sold. and the other in the LT80 lol. kinda wish I kept them both now tho. so yeah, run whatever battery works IIRC the bayou uses a riding mower type starter so if you need to get it fixed find a guy who works on them and maybe has parts to throw something in used if not ebay should have new parts for it along with atv parts suppliers whether online or local to you.

Old 05-22-2010 | 06:42 PM
|
Trailblazer

Yep, went and bought a new battery today.

Charged it up and she started perfect.