Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

What size for a 5 year old?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 07:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size for a 5 year old?

He'll actually be closer to 6 by the time he get's it at Christmas but I just picked up a Kazuma 50 for my 3 year (she'll be 4 in January) so I thought I might as well ge him a quad now and hide them both so I don't have to pay "Christmas" prices. I was thinking either the sportsman 90 or the predator 90 but according to the youtube videos the predator is a screamer and I don't really want him to go THAT fast. The sportsman seems to be geared lower which is what I want. We have a lot of trails with a lot of hills and ruts and a little mud and rocks so I was leaning more toward the sportsman. Any advice? He's a LITTLE taller than the average 5 yr old. Please no responses about laws and regulations we all know what a bunch of CRAP those are. I'm a teacher and see 11 yr old kids that are 5' 10" and pushing 200 pounds and these "laws" want them on a 50? Give me a break.

I just watched a couple youtubes on the predator 50 and it seemed to do quite well. What year did they change from 2-4 stroke?

Old 09-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the forums.
It's all about how a rider fits a machine.
::Sitting on the machine, knees are bent. Fingers can reach and pull all controls. When standing there are 3 inches between inseam and seat.
IMO, the 3/4 year old should have a 40cc and that's only if she advanced from a battery machine. The 6 yr old needs that 50. If he's expierienced, maybe a 70.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:11 AM
Pro Rider

My daughter started riding a Kazuma 50 at 4 years old....she weighed 25lbs and still wore some 2T clothes. She had it since she was 3 and would occasionally ride around the yard once or twice. But when she turned 4 it just "clicked" with her and thats when she REALLY started riding. She could FULLY operate the ATV. She understood what the choke did, could shift between gears etc. I was impressed for a 4 year old.

Now shes 5.....still wears 3T clothes and weighs about 32lbs....still very small. Shes got that Kazuma wound out in the yard.....1ft in the air off this jump Ive got built for my son in the back yard.

Im been VERY impressed with the Kazuma and I think with some supervision and limiting the throttle you will be fine with a 4 year old on it. Of coure every kid is different.

The 6 year old......Im lost here.

My son started out at 6 on a Chinese 110cc machine. The thing is hes HUGE. Not to mention that Chinese 110cc ATV has less power then either of the two your mentioning.

Im hesitant to recommend a 90cc ATV from any of the big guys due to the power (and I still think they are going to be a bit to big size wise as well).

Ive also got no good recommendation for something to use.

I guess put him on one and see just how BIG it is. Maybe see if you can find a source for smaller wheels to size it down. Im sure they have a way to limit the throttle as well.

Maybe something in the 70cc range would be a good compromise.....just dont have a manufacturer to suggest.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

If he's new to riding I'd be hesitant to put him on a 90. Just 2 weeks ago I moved my 6yr old girl from a Suzuki LT-Z50 to a Yamaha Raptor 80. She's just big enough for it, but without prior riding experience there is no way I'd allow her on it. With the bigger engine and 3spd tranny its in a whole different league from a 50. Since she's got two years experience on the 50, has shown good riding skills and common sense, I'm letting her ride the Raptor 80, but only in first gear for the time being.

My advice is to start him on a 50, even if it means sharing his sister's new toy.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:45 AM
Trailblazer

I guess he has a quad at his mothers house (she won't talk to much to me). I took him to a friends house who had a Sunl 110 and he rode it around like he's been riding for years. It only had a left hand brake and he stop whenever he wanted. He also told me he want's one just like mine (go figure). Mine is a sportsman 700 so I guess I'm going to go with the sportsman 90. I found an 08 (four stroke) for 1500. Anybody own one of those chinese jobbers? I was also thinking about this. NEW 125cc Youth Utility ATV Quad 125D not 110cc +HELMET - eBay (item 250693907669 end time Oct-07-10 19:42:21 PDT)

Old 09-14-2010, 08:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

IMO, I'd stick with a 2 stroke and you should be able to get into one for less than 1200.

As far as the chinese model, do you want to watch your kid ride or have him watch you wrench...nuff said.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Don't worry about ultimate speed, you can adjust throttle input and slow him down. Worry about width and stability to help keep him on 4 wheels.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:19 AM
Trailblazer

I'm picking up an 08' sportsman 90 in excellent shape for $1300. I think that's a pretty good deal on that new of a quad.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Trailblazer

I just picked up a 2006 50cc Artic cat for my kids and it has been perfect for them w/ regards to the size of the machine. The power and speed was perfect at first but now I'm needing to take off the restricters since they have become comfortable with it

Old 09-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well my son started at 5 on a 250ex. I would ride and let him do the gas and steer. Within a month he had excellent throttle control but couldn't reach the gears. I would keep it in first gear and walk besde him. Then first gear wasn't enough and i caught him reaching down with his hand to pull up gears.

I took him off permanently and bought a Raptor 90. I honestly didn't know much about ATVs and that was my fault.Shoulda tried a 50 i guess due to age. He has been on this a year and can ride in the woods and up hills with me. He has even complained it isn't fast enough and wants to get on the 250 which he will not.

He rides at least 10-15hrs a week and never gets bored with it. I'd guess he has 700+ hours on the Raptor. The bad part is that he isn't scared of it. I bought a LT80 tonight which is faster and he is already trying donuts. I adjusted the throttle and he doesn't like it but it's for his brother anyway.

Quick Reply: What size for a 5 year old?