Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

2 stroke vs 4 stroke for kid's atv

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 stroke vs 4 stroke for kid's atv

First off i am ignorant when it comes to engines. Last year i bought my next to oldest son a 2003 Yamaha Raptor 90 used. It has been a great atv with minimal problems. 4 stroke

His brother has wanted one so i have been looking for a used Yamaha,Honda, or any of the main name brand. I found a used 2005 Suzuki LT80 and bought it. It's a 2 stroke.

I mentioned to my father in law that it was a 2 stroke and he said if i had known you were getting a two stroke i would have discouraged it. On these it isn't like a chainsaw or weed eater where you mix the oil/gas. There is a tank for each and my understanding an oil injector or pump pumps the oil in.

He responded the problem is that the pump can go out which will burn up the motor because the oil isn't getting pumped in with the gas. Or at least that's the way i understood it.

How common is it for this to happen? How would one know it did go out before it's too late? It is quieter than the Raptor but it's automatic and a little faster than i thought it would be to only be an 80. I weigh 230lbs and it pulls me around pretty good.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

well, my first atv was a polaris sportsman 90, 2 stroke. it was a good little machine. it had the separate tanks for gas and oil too. I never had any engine problems with it... I just had to add oil every once in a while. I would recommend a 2 stroke for a little atv like that, to me, it seems like it gives it that extra boost, since small engines dont have that much power anyway. well, I hope I was able to help you out.
Kevin

Old 09-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Not Me! There only a few atv's (2 stroke) I would own and the LT80 would prob be one of them but there is nothing like the simplicity of a 4stroke. If your kids are like most other kids and just ride the snot of of a bike they could care less about speed and just want something to ride esp in that size/age of rider of bike. I will take simplicity/longevity over speed any day!

Old 09-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

I do agree with you, that the LT-80 is prob one of the most reliable kids atv's out there. plus theres tons of aftermarket stuff for 'em. :/ But your right, nowadays, i wouldnt touch a full-size 2 stroke atv... I just do 4 strokes, but its just a matter of opinion

Old 09-20-2010, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've read where some disconnect the oil pump part and just mix both. If the bike hasn't had any problems would that be recommended or is it common for some to do that?

Is there anyway to know if the oil pump has stopped working before the engine fails?

It is a 2005 model and the original owner bought if for his girl but she had turned 15 and hadn't ridden much in the past few years. The plastic looks great and the tread was original and still real good. This isn't gonna be used for racing. Just around the house and some pasture/woods.

Thanks for the replies

Old 09-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

heres a website LT80 Hop-Ups that has tons of stuff for the lt-80. at the bottom of the page, theres a contact email address. If I were you, I would contact them and ask them your question, cause it looks like they are no strangers to the lt-80.

I hope that they can give you a satisfactorey answer.
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Old 09-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The kids 2 strokes are in a pretty mild state of tune stock and will last a long time between rebuilds. I wouldn't sweat the LT80, as they have been around and proven rock solid. If it really bothers you, I am sure there are oil injection block off kits available, or you could figure something for yourself. Pre mixing yourself is a pretty easy task too.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by kevin773
heres a website LT80 Hop-Ups that has tons of stuff for the lt-80. at the bottom of the page, theres a contact email address. If I were you, I would contact them and ask them your question, cause it looks like they are no strangers to the lt-80.

I hope that they can give you a satisfactorey answer.
Have a nice day!
Kevin
Thanks. I found this on there. The kit is 19.95 and doesn't appear to be something difficult to tackle if i decided to go that route.

Many LT80 owners like to remove the factory oil pump and run gas/oil pre-mix instead. Although rare, the pumps are known to sometimes stop working causing engine seizures. By removing the pump there is also less drag on the engine which also gives a small performance increase. Now you can remove the pump, oil tank, lines and get a nice clean look. This handy kit includes a CNC machined billet aluminum block off plate, a rubber cap for the carburetor injection nozzle, bolts, washers and instructions. Kits are available in Silver, Red and Blue. $19.95

Old 09-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider

excellent! glad I could be of service

Old 10-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Trailblazer

pop the clutch cover, pull the gear that spins the pump cut all the hoses and cap them off and leave the pump on there and save yourself $20...