Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

E-ton 90 cc atv with no spark

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 03:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
CDI = [C]apacitive [D]ischarge [i]gnition.

The CDI operation is sort of similar in operation to a standard american flush toilet:

In a toilet the storage tank fills up slowly over time from a high pressure low volume inlet line. At the proper time you wiggle a small handle and [whoosh] the entire storage tank gets dumped into the bowl. This burst of water flow gets the required job done.

The CDI uses a high voltage low current power source from the stator to fill up a storage capacitor over time. Then at the proper time the stator wiggles a small signal voltage to the CDI and [bzzzzzzt] the entire contents of the storage capacitor is dumped onto the coil primary. This burst of current is used by the coil to make the spark.

The idea is this: Store up energy over time, then dump it all at once at the proper time. Of course the CDI has to charge up and dump up to 70 times per second, while your toilet takes about 20 seconds to cycle once, but the principle is the same.
Do I have a stator for my eton 90m cc and if so what does it do

Old 10-18-2010, 11:36 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by firefighter66255
Do I have a stator for my eton 90m cc and if so what does it do
Yes you have a stator.

It does three things.

1) It takes power from the engine as required, and generates low voltage high current electricity. This in conjunction with the voltage regulator is used to keep your battery charged.

2) It also generates moderately high voltage low current power to run your CDI.

3) It provides a timing signal once per revolution to tell the CDI when to fire the spark plug.

These three functions are all independent of one another, but all three work on the same principle: If you spin magnets past a coil of wire the magnets will induce voltages and currents in the coil(s) of wire. There are three separate coils in your quad to do the three functions above.

The battery charge winding and the CDI power winding are inside the flywheel, while the magnets that drive them are embedded in the flywheel.

The CDI timing signal magnet is inside the small trigger coil that is mounted outside the flywheel. The signal is generated by sliding a raised steel bump on the flywheel past the magnet in the trigger coil.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
Yes you have a stator.

It does three things.

1) It takes power from the engine as required, and generates low voltage high current electricity. This in conjunction with the voltage regulator is used to keep your battery charged.

2) It also generates moderately high voltage low current power to run your CDI.

3) It provides a timing signal once per revolution to tell the CDI when to fire the spark plug.

These three functions are all independent of one another, but all three work on the same principle: If you spin magnets past a coil of wire the magnets will induce voltages and currents in the coil(s) of wire. There are three separate coils in your quad to do the three functions above.

The battery charge winding and the CDI power winding are inside the flywheel, while the magnets that drive them are embedded in the flywheel.

The CDI timing signal magnet is inside the small trigger coil that is mounted outside the flywheel. The signal is generated by sliding a raised steel bump on the flywheel past the magnet in the trigger coil.
Thank you for your patience with me. As you can tell I am not very good with electric on atvs. Can you tell me where my sator is. I still dont have a spark when I ground the spark plug. I think I might go to town and get a new spark plug. Please help. I am getting frustrated at my self for being dumb

Old 10-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default what?

Originally Posted by firefighter66255
Thank you for your patience with me. As you can tell I am not very good with electric on atvs. Can you tell me where my sator is. I still dont have a spark when I ground the spark plug. I think I might go to town and get a new spark plug. Please help. I am getting frustrated at my self for being dumb
you're not dumb. . please get that thought out of your head!
the stator is usually behind the cover on the left side of the engine.
definition of ignorance is "uneducated". don't misconstrue what i'm saying, a bunch of us are ignorant about certain things. these forums are designed to share information and help each other out. Thus, educating the masses about the specifics of atvs and their related problems.
there is never, never a stupid or dumb question. never........one of the guys on here is quoted as saying, "better to ask, than to rebuild". so guess what, i ask!!!!!!!!

Old 10-23-2010, 12:36 AM
Electrical Expert

Ditto was Jaster94 said.

You need to get yourself a meter. Armed with this tool you can measure the CDI to see if it is getting power. And a trigger, etc. You can check your kill switch operation to see if it is working right....

Meters are really inexpensive these days. Here is an example:

7 Function Digital Multimeter

Once you have a meter we can guide you through the process...

Old 11-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Trailblazer
Default 90 eton no spark

I do have a digital mutimeter, please guide me through the process of the reason for no spark

Old 11-24-2010, 06:16 PM
Electrical Expert

The first step is to verify that your quad matches the published wiring diagram:

Does your CDI have six wires on it? Are the wire colors:

Blue/Yellow
Black/Red
Black
Black/White
Brown
White/Blue

If not, then how many wires on the CDI, and what are the colors?

If the colors are the same as above then go back a few posts in this thread on Oct 16 and follow the tests for checking the kill switch wiring. It involves measuring resistances, Do you know how to do this already, or so I need to explain how to measure resistances in more detail?

Old 11-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Trailblazer
Default 90cc no spark

I will check them Thursday and get back to you

Old 11-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Trailblazer
Default eton 90cc thunder- no spark

I think I found the CDI. It only has 5 wires coming out of it. Red that plugs into a blue on white, red on white, red on black, white on black, black. The wire diagram that I have has 6 wires coming from the CDI. But Mine only has 5. Also my wire diagram does not have a stator on it. It does have an ignition coil which has a blue on white wire and a heavy wire going to the spark plug

Old 11-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey man im just an ametuer but i had the same problem on my kids kuzuma i replaced the stator, coil, and cdi. It ended up being the on and off switch the start bottom was stuck in so when i pulled the hand break it would try to start. I would definetly check that switch first might save you alot trouble.

Quick Reply: E-ton 90 cc atv with no spark