Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

150cc gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 06:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Gears are not spinning in the Gear box. There is a shaft that goes from the Gear box to the Clutch that seams to not be working. The engine will run but will not go forward or reverse. I wonder if it could be somthing as simple as the belt is just too loose.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:23 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Miller
The Gears are not spinning in the Gear box. There is a shaft that goes from the Gear box to the Clutch that seams to not be working. The engine will run but will not go forward or reverse. I wonder if it could be somthing as simple as the belt is just too loose.
I'm still not understanding.

According to the exploded diagram on a GY6 the clutch output drives a shaft to the final transmission inside the GY6 engine. This has about a half cup of gear oil in it, so you would know if you managed to work your way into this part. The then output shaft of the final transmission drives the forward/reverse gearbox. The output of that drive the chain sprocket.

I still don't know if we are talking about problems before the clutch (like the CVT belt), the final transmission, or the forward reverse gearbox .

Old 01-13-2011, 06:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry about the confusion. I believe the problem is with the F/R Gear Box. The reason I believe that is because the engine will run, the main shaft will turn, the clutch will turn but the Gears will not move. So I am thinking there is something wrong between the Clutch and the Gear Box. I have taken the CVT cover off and the Gear box cover along with the chain, sproket, etc...I do not see anything visually wrong. I can turn the Gears by hand but as I said before that will turn while the engine is running.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Electrical Expert

There's a whole transmission between the clutch output shaft and the Forward/reverse gearbox that drives the sprocket. This is slightly buried in the GY6 motor and has several gears in it (and gear oil). Do not confuse this with the F/R gearbox, which is a bolt on addition to the GY6 motor.

I think you need to remove the F/R gearbox and see if the final drive output shaft (from the GY6 final transmission) to the Forward/reverse gear box is turning. This will tell you whether the problem is in the GY6 final drive transmission or the F/R gear box.

Do you have a GY6 service manual? They are out there, and downloadable for free. If you don't have one I can probably find some links. I could just email you one (or several different ones for that matter), but they are each huge - probably more than your or my ISP will allow in an email attachment.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

No, I do not have a servise Manual. It would be great if you could send me one or give me the link. I have the Gear Box off and the final shaft is not turning. I think that may be where my problem may be. I guess the next step will be finding parts.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Electrical Expert

This link has two more links to full blown GY6 service manuals.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/chin...fo-needed.html

One is for a Carter Buggy, and one is for a scooter, but the engines in these an your quad is identical.

Both links worked for me this morning. On the buggynews page look at the first post, then download the *attachment* hosted at buggynews - don't follow the carter buggy link as that link is dead.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help. Looks like I have some work to do now. One other question. Where can I get a spanner wrench to get the flywheel and clutch plate off?

Old 01-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Electrical Expert

I don't know about the clutch - I've never had to remove mine yet. The flywheel needs a puller like this:

GY6 Flywheel Puller [0606080437] - $22.00 : BuggyDepot.com :: Parts and Performance Upgrades for Yerf-Dog 150, Blade 150, Crossfire 150, Twister Hammerhead, Carter Talon, and more!

I think if you google "GY6 Flywheel Puller" you find many sources.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK, so I think this is my problem. It is the Sub Shaft Gear. The two set of teeth you see move seperately and I don't think they are suppose to as they are driven by the finial shaft which drive the Clutch assembly.

Now where do I get this part? Any suggestions?

Old 01-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Electrical Expert

Google "GY6 Final Transmission Parts".

You've got a much better chance finding GY6 engine parts than finding bolt on aftermarket transmission parts. There are millions of GY6 scooters in the world so the market for spare parts is huge compared to just GY6 ATV's.

Quick Reply: 150cc gearbox