Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 Hard Start

Old 02-21-2011, 07:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 Hard Start

Good morning everyone. First time posting but I have been stalking the forums for quite some time. Let me start by saying thank you for all the great advice in the past.
I am having issues with my youngest's LT80. The thing is difficult to start. Once started and warm it runs like a scalded dog but getting it to idle after sitting all night is a bear. With the choke on it fires right up but dies after a couple of seconds. Repeat this about 10-12 times and it will finally stay running. After about twenty more seconds I can push the choke down and run it hard all day. It just annoys my son and discourages him from wanting to ride that first ride of the day.
I am an aircraft mechanic by trade, so I'm not a novice making things run, and have a garage full of toys that I maintain myself. I took the carb apart, soaked in cleaner, installed a rebuild kit (so all the jets are new, with a 90 main), installed a set of Boyson reeds, new Uni Filter, aftermarket petcock, new carb vent hose (to insure it wasnt restricted), capped off the petcock port on the carb, flushed the tank, new gas, plug etc. It still is stubborn to start.
I also have 120psi compression. No problems there.
Outside of a new sprocket/chain kit the bike is stock.
Any suggestions on bringing it to life easier?
Thanks,
Bob

Old 02-22-2011, 07:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

I know someone has a trick up their sleeve to improve the cold start on these bikes. Anyone?

Old 02-22-2011, 08:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

"With the choke on it fires right up but dies after a couple of seconds. Repeat this about 10-12 times and it will finally stay running. After about twenty more seconds I can push the choke down and run it hard all day"
To clarify, after it starts, do you leave the choke on and it quits or do you shut the choke off once it starts then it quits?

Old 02-22-2011, 08:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

I leave the choke on until it finally stays running. Once it warms up I push the choke off. If I immediately turn the choke off it dies as expected.
Once the initial start of the morning is done, the bike will start, and run, great the rest of the day. Its only after it has sat overnight and cooled completely.
Thanks

Old 05-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Has there been a response to this problem. My LT80 has a similar issue.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

I think it's a carb problem.
Maybe a plugged passage or maybe fuel is leaking by the needle and it's slightly flooding overnight.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am having the same problem. I have a 2002 LT80. Once I get it started and go it seems to run ok but I have to leave the choke on all the time. When I stop it will idle for a few moments and then shut off. Then I have to choke it to start again, it will sit there and try to fire and then it will finally catch and start. I have removed the tank and cleaned it out. Removed the carb several times, but I am a novice at small engine things. I am going to do a compression check next. What is the proper procedure for doing a compression check. I do see some oil leaking under the crankcase as well while the engine is running. I use this at the dragstrip to get me around and its a PITA to get started. Any help will be greatly appreciated

PS. LT80. I see you have a PA number. Where in PA are you. Im in Hagerstown Maryland. If you would be willing to look at this in person I would gladly bring it to you.

Thanks

Steve

Old 03-05-2012, 11:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

The compression test will tell alot.
Apply full throttle and crank till the comp peaks.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ill do that tomorrow and post the results

Old 03-06-2012, 09:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Checked the compression this morning. Now it was cold here and the motor was cold but my gauge showed 150psi

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT80 Hard Start