Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Need recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need recommendations

I'm planning to make my first ATV/Quad purchase. Its for a thirteen year old girl who has more courage than caution. I want to get her something that's not going to be so high-powered that she can't control it, but then again I don't want to get her something she'll be totally bored with. Also, I don't want to spend a ton of money. I went on the ATV-Quads-4 Wheelers-USA website and saw a whole bunch of extremely reasonably priced quads.

The question is...are they "too" reasonably priced? Some seem so low you have to wonder if they come with an engine! Can someone help me out? Are any of those under $1000 models any good at all?

Thanks.....

Old 03-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

#1 you get what you pay for so dont expect a allot. If you insist on making a purchase based upon low price you should have a good set of tools and know how to do electric and mechanical work.

Now if I am reading your post correctly you dont own a quad and this will be your 1st purchase?
Who will ride with your daughter? If the answer is her friends and she has never ridden before this could be a major recipe for disaster. Kids dont have the best judgement and at 13 you have more ***** than brains. (pardon my language)
That said...
Go used buy a big name and an extended warrant if you are not handy.
Talk to a sales person and if this is going to be a surprise then get her height and weight but better to take her if possible. You want her on a machine that she is comfortable sitting on and can easily reach everything. Also you have to decide 4wd/2wd utility style or mini rocket 2wd?
An in person trip to your local dealer will answer many questions and when you are on the right path use something like ATVs for Sale - Bombardier, Polaris, Can-Am, Arctic Cat - ATV Trader.com
and see what you like is going for and go get it.

Good Luck

Old 03-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

Just for fun googled ATV-Quads-4 Wheelers-USA website
and right there in black and white were some comments.
Killer motor sports is the seller.
Here are all 5 comments

1 star - From day one, it leaked oil and gas! I wish I never bought it or I could return it.

1 star - Zero support after sale. I had some minor parts missing and after three days I get no acknowledgement of my calls/emails. Unless something changes drastically, I would never do business with these folks again.

2 of 5 - Not as good as I wanted it to be. When we got our 4-wheeler, there was a broken piece, and not only that I didn't get the color that I wanted. Which no one at Killer Motorsport sent me an email stating that the color I wanted was not in stock.

3 of 5 - Product was fine, however slow shipping 2-weeks after order and no communication from seller?

5 of 5 - The item was shipped promptly and arrived in good condition. Shipping across country took about 9 days, but that was due to the trucking company. Item itself was easy to assemble and started and ran right away.

Sounds like the are 20% good.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I gotta say, That's a good reply(s)!
To go onward, With inexpierience and such all taken into consideration, A good quad to start out with may be a Kymco Mongoose. It's a 250/300cc CVT (Belt drive and no shifting), and has forward/reverse. A great machine from Tiawan. It's bulletproof.
"Get what you pay for"~~ Sure do! If you have no idea if your daughter is going to like riding, then a 1000 dollar chinese wonder may make it thru.
Physical size may be a factor. Check with the "atv safety institute" or the ATVA (atva online.com) for their recomendations on child size/machine size recomendations.
Be safe~ have fun.