Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

2000 ETON TXL 50 CDI needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 04:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 ETON TXL 50 CDI needed

Just bought my grandson an 00 ETON TXL 50. I'm told it needs a new CDI Module because its bad. There is no spark. I went to locate one and the local dealer ask $111 for it. I looked a bit and noticed some out there that are much cheaper. It appears there are some generic ones that may work. The ETON part number is 650098. Any help on a CDI unit for this would be appreciated.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry, direct from the website is $101...........
Anything ATV - Electrical

scroll down and you'll see it. this is an Eton website by the way.....

but we'll keep looking for you.........

Old 03-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've not seen 3'rd party compatible sources for eton CDIs. But then again I haven't looked.

Eton CDIs have different wiring than the generic chinese CDIs which you can find all over the place for $10.

But are you sure your CDI is really bad? Who told you that? How did they know?

Spark generation involves a lot more components than the CDI, and many of these can be measured with a meter. If it were me I would measure as many things as possible in the ignition system to get a better idea as to what is working and what is not before shelling out lots of money on parts that may or may not fix the problem

Just to see if the wiring diagram I have matches your quad, How many wires attach to the CDI, and what are their colors? If the pigtail wire colors on the CDI differ from the wire colors in the harness then report the wire colors in the harness.

Once we know the wire colors (and therfore their function hopefully), we can use a meter to measure all the CDI inputs: Ignition power supply and trigger voltages from the stator, the kill switch wiring, DC power, and ground. If those are correct then we can look for pulses to the ignition coil from the CDI, and measure the resistance values of the ignition coil. If all those are correct then we will be down to making best educated guesses, but they will be based on measurements and reason rather than just shooting in the dark.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default CDI Wiring

I'm new here and I truly appreciate your response and help. I've been told the CDI part number I listed earlier has been superceeded by another part number for the CDI. The new number is alleged to be 811114.

As far as wiring. The wire colors of the Eton 50 wire loom that connects to the CDI is as follows. (5 wires)

Bike Wires CDI unit wires
1. Black w/ White stripe -hooked to- Black w/ White stripe
2. Black w/ Red stripe -hooked to- Black w/ Purple (?)stripe
3. Blu w/ Yellow stripe -hooked to- White w/ red stripe

4. Black wire -hooked to- Black wire
5. White w/ Blue stripe -hooked to- Orange

********* Note the 4th & 5th wires are together in a small white plug in
type clip that connects the CDI to the bike wiring.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:00 AM
Electrical Expert

Naturally the published wiring diagram doesn't match your description of the CDI. The diagram shows 6 wires to the CDI, but you only have 5. Other than that the wire colors match up fairly well so lets proceed...

Embedded in your text below (in blue) is what I think the wire functions are:

Originally Posted by digger357
I'm new here and I truly appreciate your response and help. I've been told the CDI part number I listed earlier has been superceeded by another part number for the CDI. The new number is alleged to be 811114.

As far as wiring. The wire colors of the Eton 50 wire loom that connects to the CDI is as follows. (5 wires)

1. Black w/ White stripe -hooked to- Black w/ White stripe [Kill Switch]
2. Black w/ Red stripe -hooked to- Black w/ Purple (?)stripe [AC Ignition Power]
3. Blu w/ Yellow stripe -hooked to- White w/ red stripe [Ignition Trigger]

4. Black wire -hooked to- Black wire [Ground]
5. White w/ Blue stripe -hooked to- Orange [Ignition Coil]

Note the 4th & 5th wires are together in a small white plug in
Resistance checks:

Unplug the CDI. Turn on the ignition, and set all kill switches tho the "run" position:

1) In the wiring harness measure the resistance in ohms of the Kill Switch wire to the ground wire. What do you measure?

2) In the wiring harness measure the resistance of the AC Ignition Power wire to the ground wire. What do you measure?

3) In the wiring harness measure the resistance of the Ignition Trigger wire to the ground wire. What do you measure?

4) In the wiring harness measure the resistance of the Ignition Coil wire to the ground wire. What do you measure?

On all of these resistance measurements be sure to change the resistance scale to get the best reading resolution - which means the most digits in the display without reading open (a "1" in the left most digit). And be sure to report what scale you were on - i.e. what **** position are you're on.

The above tests will verify that the wire functions are correct and look for obvious problems in the wiring from the stator or to the ignition coil.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Here are the ohm readings

OK THanks again. IMy meter doesn't tell what scale Im on. It just says min and max. If I measured correctly the numbers in parenthesis next to your directions on how to mwasure are the ohm readings I got. I hope I did it correctly.

1. Black w/ White stripe -hooked to- Black w/ White stripe [Kill Switch]

2. Black w/ Red stripe -hooked to- Black w/ Purple (?)stripe [AC Ignition Power]

3. Blu w/ Yellow stripe -hooked to- White w/ red stripe [Ignition Trigger]

4. Black wire -hooked to- Black wire [Ground]
5. White w/ Blue stripe -hooked to- Orange [Ignition Coil]

Note the 4th & 5th wires are together in a small white plug in
Resistance checks:

Unplug the CDI. Turn on the ignition, and set all kill switches tho the "run" position:

1) In the wiring harness measure the resistance in ohms of the Kill Switch wire to the ground wire. What do you measure? (0.9)

2) In the wiring harness measure the resistance of the AC Ignition Power wire to the ground wire. What do you measure? (0.733)

3) In the wiring harness measure the resistance of the Ignition Trigger wire to the ground wire. What do you measure? (106.9)

4) In the wiring harness measure the resistance of the Ignition Coil wire to the ground wire. What do you measure? (0.7)

On all of these resistance measurements be sure to change the resistance scale to get the best reading resolution - which means the most digits in the display without reading open (a "1" in the left most digit). And be sure to report what scale you were on - i.e. what **** position are you're on.

The above tests will verify that the wire functions are correct and look for obvious problems in the wiring from the stator or to the ignition coil.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sir, I dont know if it matters, but the quad acts like there is no power. Electric start... Nothing ..........It wont even try to turn over.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sir, I dont know if it matters, but the quad acts like there is no power. Electric start... Nothing ..........It wont even try to turn over.
if applicable, see if there's a fuse on the hot wire, red, coming off of the battery and check to see if it's good or not. check the wiring down to the solenoid then on to the starter. also, check your voltage of the battery with your voltage/ohm meter. check it sitting there and then check it when you hit the starter button. on your solenoid, if the battery is good and the fuse, if applicable, is good, but your pushbutton starter doesn't work, then use a screwdriver and jump the terminals on your solenoid to see if the starter turns over. let us know.....

Old 03-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

battery was weak now charged. can jump it through starting relay it will turn over, but still no fire to the plug

Old 03-25-2011, 12:17 AM
Electrical Expert

1) In the wiring harness measure the resistance in ohms of the Kill Switch wire to the ground wire. What do you measure? (0.9)

2) In the wiring harness measure the resistance of the AC Ignition Power wire to the ground wire. What do you measure? (0.733)

3) In the wiring harness measure the resistance of the Ignition Trigger wire to the ground wire. What do you measure? (106.9)

4) In the wiring harness measure the resistance of the Ignition Coil wire to the ground wire. What do you measure? (0.7)
Your meter has to tell you scale you're on, or the switch position has to have this info. Maybe it is a little icon in the display that says ohms, K Ohms, or M Ohms.

Take the first example where you got "0.9". That could be 0.9 ohms, 0.9 K ohms (which would be 900 ohms), or 0.9 M ohms (which would be 900,000 ohms). That's a HUGE difference. Most inexpensive meters change the scale by rotating a switch. Maybe yours has fancy autoscaling, but the display will tell you whether the values are ohms, (K)iloOhms, or (M)egaOhms.

If I were to assume that

#1 was 0.9 ohms
#2 was 0.733K ohms (733 ohms)
#3 was 109.9 ohms (0.1099K ohms
#4 was 0.7 ohms

then the values are believable. Please verify that my guesses about your ohms scales are correct.

Next set your meter to measure AC volts. Mesure the following AC voltages while cranking the engine. Jump the solenoid if you have to, and make sure the ignition switch is on, and the kill switches are in the "run" position. CDI is still disconnected for the following tests:

1) Measure the AC Ignition Power wire to ground while cranking the engine. What do you measure?

2) Measure the Ignition Trigger wire to ground while crankig the engine. What do you measure?

If your meter autoscales then fine. Report back the values and the scale. In this case it will be volts or maybe millivolts. If your meter doesn't autoscale then report the meter display and the scale setting.

BTW, what brand and model meter are you using? I will see if I can look it up.

Plug the CDI back in. Measure the AC voltage on the Ignition Coil pin to ground while cranking the engine. Poke through the wire insulation with a straight pin and use that as a test point if you cannot probe in the connector anywhere. What do you measure? This pin should have mostly zero volts on it with random numbers interspersed as the meter captures a spark event.

The ignition power and ingnition coil pins may have high voltage on them so keep your fingers out of the measurement.

Quick Reply: 2000 ETON TXL 50 CDI needed