Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Questiong about gearing down a 125cc kid's quad.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011 | 04:42 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Question Questiong about gearing down a 125cc kid's quad.

Hello Everyone,

I am thinking about getting some kind of Chinese kid's quad for my 5 year old son. We live in hills so I need more power than the Power Wheels he has but I don't want any speed.

I think it would be optimal if I could gear it down to ~10mph for him to learn on. He would have plenty of power to climb the hills in the yard but he couldn't go fast. I doubt I could get a 125cc down that much, but does anyone have any thoughts? (I am trying to not use the throttle limit screw)

Thanks,
Eric Caward

Old 04-29-2011 | 04:53 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Hmmm...

All,

I am surprised no one has really geared down a kids ATV. Am I missing something or is there some reason not to really gear down a kids ATV? I don't want him to go fast as I feel that is unnecessarily dangerous but I don't want to just throw the HP away. I like my using my ATV to explore the Boise National Forest (not speed). I would love to make some homemade tracks for his rear wheels someday. =)

Anyway, do people normally just use the throttle limiter or let them go full speed?

Thanks,
Eric Caward

Old 04-29-2011 | 11:47 PM
Trailblazer

Eric,

I'm not aware of any vendors selling sprockets capable of getting a full auto 125cc down to 10 mph. We sell sprockets that will provide more low end power, but it will not take 18 mph off the top.

My recommendation is to select a unit that has the semi automatic transmission. You can treat this like a full auto by simply leaving it in first gear and removing the shifter (held on by a single bolt). This will drastically cut the speed while providing enough power to climb the inclines. Only reason to use the throttle limiter would be to prevent over rev. This works well, even down as low as 7 mph.

Please keep us in mind if your considering a purchase. We have several Supermach youth atvs listed on our site, prices include free shipping and a 12 month warranty. If you would like assistance selecting one to suit your needs, I would be happy to help !

Gary

Old 04-30-2011 | 11:28 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Questions...

Gary,

I would be interested in getting your email as I have some questions that you may be able to help me with.

Thank You,
Eric Caward

Old 05-16-2011 | 05:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

some small atv's come with a throttle limiter? would this help ?

Old 05-17-2011 | 08:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Eric, a 125 for a 5 year old?!?!
A nice 50cc machine is what you need here.
I am shocked that Mr.Mainstreet didn't mention a more appropriate sized machine.
A Suzuki Z50 would be a good choice. Dependable but slow.

Old 05-17-2011 | 09:32 AM
Pro Rider

Why don't you want to use the throttle limit screw. My buddy put his 6 year old on his Suzuki 125 and with the limit he could only go about 7 mph.

Old 05-17-2011 | 10:07 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

I don't think the issue is the speed, but how far the reach is for ALL the controls for someone that age. You can gear down and limit the throttle on just about anything. But if their feet aren't firmly on the pegs or they're leaning too far forward to reach the handlebars, disaster is just an off camber tilt away.

Old 05-18-2011 | 09:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Exactly!!
The ATV Safety Institute and the ATVA explains it sorta like this:::
Standing on the pegs, 3" between inseam and seat.
They should be able to grab the handlebars and have their elbows bent.
Fingers are long enough to reach and use the controls.

Old 05-19-2011 | 09:20 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by LT80
Eric, a 125 for a 5 year old?!?!
A nice 50cc machine is what you need here.
I am shocked that Mr.Mainstreet didn't mention a more appropriate sized machine.
A Suzuki Z50 would be a good choice. Dependable but slow.
With all due respect, I offered assistance in making a suitable selection. I never advocated the choice of ATVs, and despite the request for it, there was no response to my PM. Before making a recommendation, I would have preferred to gather more information about the rider, skill level, budget, frequency of use, Dad’s ability to perform maintenance, and so on. We work hard to educate consumers about the pros and cons of the off brands and do our best to match customers to the right product - even if it means referring them to a local franchise dealer. Some have unrealistic expectations of the product, but for others, it can be a great way to introduce the sport. IMHO, there is just not enough information in this thread to make an assumption that I know exactly what is needed.

The title of the post indicates an interest in off brands. As you can see in the attached photos, there is not always a correlation between chassis and engine size. Since a throttle limiter exists on all of them, the cc’s become much less important to me than how the rider fits the chassis (assuming state laws are observed and within reason on the cc). Reflecting the guidelines set forth by the ATV Safety Institute, my 5 year old daughter can safely operate every youth atv we sell (including the 125cc).

An interest was also expressed in low speed torque. A balance would be difficult to reach between limiting the speed on a level surface and leaving enough power to ride in hilly terrain with a full automatic such as the Z50. Based solely on its intended use, I would be more likely to suggest something with a semi auto (like the Supermach 110-11 seen in the photo). Placed in first gear and limited to prevent over revving, this machine will go somewhere between 7-10 mph while providing plenty of torque to climb the hills (which was the target of the thread).

Since the 125cc off brand is comparable in size to the rest of the models shown, I fail to see any red flags based on the information provided. Speed is completely manageable and there is no excuse for unsafe operation with a throttle limiter present – no matter what engine size is chosen. I spend much of my day educating parents about the pitfalls of buying too large, and without question, my most important consideration is ALWAYS a child’s safety.

Regards

Name:  IMG-20110519-000242.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  174.6 KB

Name:  IMG-20110519-000241.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  167.3 KB

Name:  IMG-20110519-00022.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  123.5 KB