Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Eton 50, won't start, tried about everything, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eton 50, won't start, tried about everything, any ideas?

I have an 2004 Eton 50 that just won't start or run. I've cleaned the carb, new spark plug, checked for spark(has spark, though i think maybe it could be stronger, I have a new john deere and have used the spark from that as a comparison, I used an inline ignition tester). I have tried to educate myself by reading tons of posts here on this site regarding testing the resistance of stator and coil, and the tests seem in acceptable range.
What am I missing?? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

spark: you stated you have spark. So, left handlebar grip for brake is set to satisfy a possible safety interlock for starting a small quad. brake light switch activated.
switch in "on" position. quad in "run" position. check.

have you given the quad a small shot of ether/starting fluid and see what that does? if it starts on that, you have a fuel problem.

have you checked for fuel? float bowl drain screw or is the spark plug wet with gasoline? .

you got spark and compression is good, i lean towards a fuel issue before i'd mess with timing or valve lash.

while cranking the engine, give it a small conservative shot of ether/starting fluid in the air filter/air box. if the engine fires up, it is definitely not getting fuel. there lies the problem. blow out the fuel hoses, change fuel filter, make sure if it has a petcock valve that you are getting fuel all the way down to the carb, if it is still getting fuel to the carb, you need to clean the carb/jets. let us know.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

I'd do a compression test.
Hopefully it's above 90.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did a compression check today, 75psi. I'm guessing it should be about 100psi, but would 75psi keep it from running / turning over?
I've also just noticed today that when I looked at the inline spark tester, the spark appeared to be much better when the battery was fresh and fully charged, which I guess means the flywheel is spinning much faster resulting in a better quality spark. But sadly enough it wouldn't crank over. I know I'm getting fuel into carb and into the cylinder so my best guess is the coil is faulty and not allowing a strong enough current to the spark plug for a spark to properly ignite the fuel?? I think ??
I also tested the voltage from the A/C ignition power wire from the stator while cranking the engine, and it was 75 Volts.
I need to get this thing running by Christmas, so I'm not taking any chances and will order a new Stator, Coil and CDI just be sure.
I'll post my results when I get the parts, I'll start with installing the new coil first just to see if my guess was right.
Thank you guys for your help.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I think it needs a top end rebuild.
I feel that 75 is way low.
If you need this for christmas 100%, I'd get the top end stuff comming.

You need to ohm the cdi/coil/stator to get an idea if one of those is bad.
You realize that once you buy electronics, you don't return them.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have an Eton 50 , I have replaced cdi , coil , and Stator and still no spark any Ideas , and my stator actually rub against what I call the flywheel , Is it possible it could of ground out stator , and or is it need to be feeler gauged in . please help I have had three months and still not running .