Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Eton 50cc ATV Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eton 50cc ATV Issues

Hello all. I am stumped, and thought I would stop by to ask for some help. I bought my son a little Eton 50cc 4 wheeler a few years back in hopes of fixing it up for him to ride around. I normally work on most standard brand ATVs without any issues, but this one has got me stumped. First off, I am honestly not sure what year it is. From what I have heard, it was a model that Wal-Mart sold years ago. Anyway, from what I can find online, all of the parts are still interchangeable with any of the other 50cc machines. So here is my issue.

When I got it, I was told it would not run of course. So, I tore it apart, and right off the bat it has had the oil injection tank removed, so someone was mixing the gas and oil, which seemed alright. Kicking it over, it seemed to have decent compression. I cleaned out the gas tank, put a new fuel line on it, rebuilt the carb, and started trying to get it to run. After kicking it over quite a few times, I got it to spit and sputter. So, I tried some starting fluid, and it fired right up - until it ran out of fluid, then it died. The carb has plenty of fuel in it, and I took it apart and soaked it in seafoam for a few days. That seemed to help a bit, as it will run for a second and die now. I am thinking there is still a passage in the carb that is plugged, but I hate to spend the money on a carb if that is not the issue. It does need a starter too, but that is not a necessary part till I get it running right. Oh, and it needs a battery too. Would that keep it from running, even though it will start on starting fluid? I know some of the CDI modules can be picky in some of the other brands if the voltage isn't right. Oh, and I did try just plain unmixed gas to to see if the oil mix was too thick for the carb too. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Old 02-12-2012, 06:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if it runs on starter fluid/ether, then i'd say you still have a fuel delivery problem. when you say "rebuilt the carb", i presume you pulled the jets out and cleaned all of the orifices? that'd be my recommendation. i mean, i believe you, but there can be solids left in the fuel system that can make their way back into the jets even though you cleaned the carb and tank. you did install a new spark plug, right? just my two cents.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yep, I pulled all the removable parts out of the carb, let it soak in seafoam a few days, and cleaned all of the orifices in the parts with little holes. I actually went ahead and ordered a new carb today for it, since that may just be the easiest and cheapest route to go ($35 on ebay) so we will see if that helps. I have never had to get a new carb for any other bike I have worked on, but with all the minature passages in it, it still could have something plugged up in it. I didn't put a new plug in it though, but it looked clean and fairly new.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd put a new spark plug in anyways. You just never know.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I tired a new plug. The plug that was in it was not the correct one. So, I looked it up, got the correct one, but it still will only run on ether. I put the new carb on it, new fuel line, and fresh gas, checked to make sure the carb got gas (fuel was flowing well out of the line) and still will not run on gas. So, I took the reed valves out and looked at them. If I hold them up to a light, I can slightly see light out of the edge of one of the reeds. If I suck air into it though (yes, with my mouth) it seems to close up and not let any air through. Is it possible the reed valves are causing this? I used some gasket sealer and made sure the reed valve gaskets were completely sealed up. Now, it will spit and sputter on gas, but will not run. Should I look into new reed valves? I have had some with that much gap before, but I haven' had much experience with these eton machines.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

I think your reed is fine.
I'd do a compression test.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, great minds must think alike. LOL I did a comp check, and it only has about 35 psi of compression. I don't think that is probably enough, but I am not sure what the etons are supposed to have.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

minimum 95 psig per Eton's specs. anything below, they recommend rebuild.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

35..Wow....No wonder it took either.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Alright... So I got new rings for the old bike. I now have good compression, fires right up on gas like it should, but now I have another issue. Or actually two issues. LOL... Anyway, the first issue is that I only have full throttle for a short period of time until it bogs out. It will only stay running with the choke on (installed a manual choke as the electric one is junk). If I stop and keep it idling for a bit, I will have full throttle again. Is it possible the float level is too low in the carb? I have good fuel flow from the tank, and the line new, and the bowl is filling fine. The second issue is that the clutch in it seems to slip a lot and only grabs a higher RPM's. Is there an adjustment on these little things, or am I just going to have to buy another clutch for it?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Eton 50cc ATV Issues