Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Coil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My comments in blue:

Originally Posted by Dawn14320
If you have 2 wires (one with a male end and a fork type end & the other a female with a fork type end) both the fork ends are to a screw on the voltage regulator, the same screw - and the other ends are connected to each other. Isn't that pointless? [Maybe, but I'm having difficulty visuallizing your setup. Male and Female fork type connectors have me a bit confused. Pic's would help a lot...] Now on to the fire mishap (s) yes it happened again but worse. I didn't have the inline fuse - they were together. I put another regulator on and burned that one up and the plastic white connector before I could get the regulator off this time. Still think I should replace the red wire all together though, just in case. I had it running, but now am very leary of wiring all together - thats dangerous stuff! [Yes, bypassing the fuse is dangerous stuff. Batteries can deliver tremendous currents over the short term (tens of seconds) - enough to light fires instantly (and right under the gas tank ). You absolutely *must* have a fuse in line with the positive battery wire that feed everything other that the starter motor through the starter solenoid. Note how these wires go through big fat heavy gauge wire, and they run in free air so that they won't melt adjacent wires in a bound up harness. Fuse value should be no more that 10 amps.] I have already had a few bad experiences with it! I am taking a break from the Arctic Cat for a few weeks til I can get my confidence back. [Fair enough] Working on a different one with wiring problems - no spark? I did learn how to check voltage and make sure not to "bypass" the inline fuse or it could cause fires! If you want I can upload pics of # 2 fire voltage regulator. It looks a lot worse than it actually was! Still managed to save the rest from damage except the end of that red wire that hooked to the regulator. [Yes, I would like to see the picture of the second bad regulator. I'll be thinking about it in the mean time.]