Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Lt80 died and wont restart?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 06:14 PM
KMR
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok..spent a few hours on the quad. It def has spark (jolted my hand while jumping it with screwdriver..lol). Has gas! Took the carb off. Opened the bowl, had gas, float free, venturi's clear. Sprayed the entire carb with cleaner anyway! Reinstalled. Gas flowing! Swaped the cdi box with my other lt80. No help..swaped spark plugs .....nothing. I am lost...my kids want to ride..ugh! Brother-in-law suggested timing off some how???? Flywheel?

Old 07-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Timing don't get messed up on a LT80 unless someone did it.
Did you remove the float/needle,needle seat, and both jets then sprayed?
Fuel leaking out of the petcock vac hose?

Old 07-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Range Rover

did you lose compression?

Old 07-08-2013, 01:36 PM
KMR
Trailblazer

Ok. After carb cleaning i was able to get the motor started!!! But it is at full throttle ! Not sure if i have the throttle hooked up improperly or its taking in to much air ( if that is possible? ). Can you guys point in the right direction. Thanks for all the help!

Old 07-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by KMR
Ok. After carb cleaning i was able to get the motor started!!! But it is at full throttle ! Not sure if i have the throttle hooked up improperly or its taking in to much air ( if that is possible? ). Can you guys point in the right direction. Thanks for all the help!

Did you adjust the idle screw and the mixture screw? Normally when you take a carb apart, you count the amount of turns in the screws go before you take them out, so you can put them back where they were. (If you didn’t) Also might have to raise the needle a bit.

-Pierce

Old 07-08-2013, 02:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Carb slide is in backwards.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LT80
Carb slide is in backwards.
nice.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:21 PM
KMR
Trailblazer

Ok...all put back together...got it running great! Took it for spin. Let it run. Then old my son all set.. He takes it for a short ride and it dies again! Ugh.. I was able to shut the gas off (have an inline fuel shut off) cranked it a few times and got it running. It sputtered but made it back to the shed. Seems as if the carb is flooding somehow. Is it the float? Needle and seat? Or petcock? I remember why i put the shut off on in the first place. It was getting that vapor lock if I let it sit. So now what direction do I take? Pull the carb? Do what? Could it be the petcock? Happy to know where the problem lies. Just not sure how to fix it. Thanks for sticking with me

Old 07-09-2013, 09:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by KMR
Ok...all put back together...got it running great! Took it for spin. Let it run. Then old my son all set.. He takes it for a short ride and it dies again! Ugh.. I was able to shut the gas off (have an inline fuel shut off) cranked it a few times and got it running. It sputtered but made it back to the shed. Seems as if the carb is flooding somehow. Is it the float? Needle and seat? Or petcock? I remember why i put the shut off on in the first place. It was getting that vapor lock if I let it sit. So now what direction do I take? Pull the carb? Do what? Could it be the petcock? Happy to know where the problem lies. Just not sure how to fix it. Thanks for sticking with me
I would inspect the float, and get a carb rebuild kit, (with new jets, adjustment screws, gaskets, etc.) I could be a blocked jet or drain passage. I would blow out all passages with an air compressor.
Also, if you disconnect the fuel line from the carb, does the gas flow steadily out of there when the petcock is on? also is the breather tube for the gas tank clear?

I would think it is the float, or a blocked carb passage/jet.

Also, what type of carb does it have?

Hope that helps some.

I had a badger 80 that I had just got running, and it did the same thing, ran good then just did about 5 minutes after riding it died. After rebuilding the carb a few times, I ordered a new one; then it ran awesome. Then I promptly put it through the pond and flooded the intake.

-Pierce

Old 07-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Did you check the petcock vac hose for fuel leaking out of it at the carb?
I think it's flooding out.

Quick Reply: Lt80 died and wont restart?