Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Lt80 starter or something else wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 07:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt80 starter or something else wrong?

Ok. So I went through and replaced rollers on front clutch, cut rear clutch down to 180g, shaved head .030 and put a new carb rebuild kit in (wasn't Suzuki brand rebuild carb kit). So put it all back together and originally the carb started pouring gas out of it and onto the ground. It was sitting for 5 min doing that. I turned gas off and checked the float on the carb and now it's fine.

So I go to start the bike and it seems the starter is having trouble spinning and will engage the starter gear like every 3rd time. I took clutch side case off to see if clutches were binding it up and I can spin the clutch by hand so it's fine. I replaced the battery thinking that was the problem and no it didn't fix it. The clutch just spins freely and so I let off starter and keep trying until bender gear kicks out and engages fly wheel. But it still won't start. I took spark plug out and it's spitting fuel out and does the same problem so it's not compression. Any help would be appreciated.

Starter stops but leaves starter gear engaged to fly wheel

Old 11-11-2015, 07:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Here's a video I posted.

Hope this helps

Old 11-11-2015, 09:47 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cylinder has flooded try taking the plug out turning over till no gas keeps spitting out plug hole, may put rag over hole first few crank overs. Clean or install new plug then try starting with throttle wide open. May put an inline fuel shut off and filter, original petcock notorious for leaking by.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Lt Granddad
The cylinder has flooded try taking the plug out turning over till no gas keeps spitting out plug hole, may put rag over hole first few crank overs. Clean or install new plug then try starting with throttle wide open. May put an inline fuel shut off and filter, original petcock notorious for leaking by.
The petcock that was on the quad I think is an aftermarket seeing it doesn't have a prime position. On, off and reserve only. I'll try cranking it until it no longer spits gas. However I did notice the starter gear doesn't engage every time. Any idea what's causing that? Bad ground, relay,

Old 11-11-2015, 11:09 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When these carbs flood they spill straight into the crankcase, no overflow tubes like other carbs. The motor is prob trying to hydro lock from the fuel in the crankcase. That's why you take plug out to rid compression and allow extra fuel in case to be forced out spark plug hole. It should spin freely then. I would prob do 4 3-4 second turnovers thenput plug back in and start holdin throttle wide open, leave fuel off still plenty in case and carb will take a little to clear all the extra fuel out once started.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Ditto on all that.
The starter is not 100% as the bendix doesn't stay engaged.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LT80
Ditto on all that.
The starter is not 100% as the bendix doesn't stay engaged.
So you think replace starter? The bendix only pops out when it wants and isn't all the time. Then it doesn't pop back in all the time when its released. Should I buy aftermarket or stock Suzuki. Any recommendation on where to buy?

Old 11-12-2015, 08:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Lt Granddad
When these carbs flood they spill straight into the crankcase, no overflow tubes like other carbs. The motor is prob trying to hydro lock from the fuel in the crankcase. That's why you take plug out to rid compression and allow extra fuel in case to be forced out spark plug hole. It should spin freely then. I would prob do 4 3-4 second turnovers thenput plug back in and start holdin throttle wide open, leave fuel off still plenty in case and carb will take a little to clear all the extra fuel out once started.
Thank you. I'll do that this morning and then go find a starter somewhere in town hopefully.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I think you should get it running first (LTgrandad's reply).
Then if need be, I get starters off ebay.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LT80
I think you should get it running first (LTgrandad's reply).
Then if need be, I get starters off ebay.
Of course it was running fine before I decided to mess with it. Well not fine. It would run but only with choke on. So I figured pilot jet was clogged seeing it wouldn't idle when you stopped and the choke was off.

I also noticed the arrow on the new belt I installed. Well of course this thing runs opposite of how you would think. Do I need to flip the belt around? I'm guessing I should seeing they put arrows on it for a reason.

Quick Reply: Lt80 starter or something else wrong?