Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

2006 90cc polaris sportsman 2 stroke roungh engaging

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 01:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

LOL, good reason not to know about reeds.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I definitely will not be ordering from cycle parts warehouse ever again. Everything I ordered that day from 2 other places has already been delivered. One of those was with free slow as **** shipping from Amazon. Cycle parts warehouse on the other hand shows my order status as reviewed. What does that even mean? Obviously not shipped or at my door like it would be from any other place. So much for my kids riding the atv this weekend for my son's birthday thanks to them. Yesterday I emailed them to ask order status and called today after receiving no response. Well. There was no answer or recording just a beep after about 20 rings. I'm wondering if they are in business of selling parts or just collecting the 20% restocking fees on canceled orders. Do they have any intention of shipping the items or responding? Had I known they don't stock any items before ordering I would have spent the extra $2 elsewhere had the items already but I admit that as my mistake for not looking into the company more before ordering showing many bad reviews on no response or orders taking over a month when not canceled.
Buyer beware

Old 07-01-2016, 04:18 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Must have fallen down on service since I used them a few years back. Ordered a cam for a neighbors Ranger 500 and received it in three days which surprised me.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those places are pot luck...I use a couple that are reliable...not the cheapest, but reliable...

Old 07-12-2016, 07:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

I got everything back together and it started right up. I let it idle a couple minutes then took it around the house 4 times. It seemed to run ok. It did engage hard yet tho. It's not the belt or either clutch disc from what I can tell. It seems more like something inside the gearbox. Any ideas? I didn't tear into that besides changing the oil to royal purple 70w90.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:40 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Like I mentioned they came from the factory with a thick yellow looking 80/90 type gear lube but the manual said to use AGL. You might try a thinner gear lube and see if there's any difference. Not costing much either way since it only involves about 7 ounces or so of fluid.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

It's worth a try. I was planning on changing it again after some running time anyways. I don't think that's it tho because the fluid that cane out was the consistency of water. It didn't even feel oily. I don't know how the gearbox works. Is there another clutch or something in there separating fwd n and reverse? I'm going to try and look at parts site you linked earlier in this thread to see if I can figure out how it works.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:35 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Engaging harshly could still be belt or clutch related even if the belt looks ok..Clutches have internal parts that wear out and can cause this sort of problem. I'd suspect the clutches before I would an actual gear case problem.

Attached Thumbnails 2006 90cc polaris sportsman 2 stroke roungh engaging-284158_9920239a13.gif  
Old 07-12-2016, 10:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

I sanded the clutch faces where belt rides with 400 grit then polished with 1200 grit polishing rubber stones on lathe at work. There are a couple pitted spots towards the top yet I couldn't get out but much better than they were. One single roller had a flat spot. I polished them all up and made that one round again and put back in because they only sent me 2 single rollers instead of 2 packages of 3 like listed everywhere else and I thought I'd be getting. I saw a set of 6 or so different weight rollers on ebay for $25 thinking of getting instead of spending another $15 on the rest of the stock rollers after shipping. The inside of the disc where rollers sit was slightly worn. Maybe ill try that cheap ebay clutch setup you linked if the rollers dont work. The cheap generic ebay belt is brand new and looks nice unlike the other 2 gates belts I sent back that I ordered off Amazon with some other stuff at same time. Those belts had the cords sticking out on half of each side of the belt like it wasn't centered in the mold. 3rd belt wasn't as bad but still had cords sticking out and was sick of return hassle so I took my dreamed to it and shaved off the exposed cords. I have a feeling it will slip anyways and I'll be getting a different brand belt next time as a second backup belt.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

I think the clutch is most likely bad on my yamaha 50 too because any incline just makes it stop turning the tires.

Quick Reply: 2006 90cc polaris sportsman 2 stroke roungh engaging