Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Help with Christmas present!

Old 10-05-2016, 12:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Christmas present!

Hello everyone, brand new member here! I just purchased a used 2008 Wildfire 90cc atv for my son as a Christmas present ( didn't want to invest in a name brand until I knew he would like it)...bike starts and idles fine, of course I can't let him ride it yet to test how it rides but here seems to be my "problem" started it when we got home yesterday day and put it into what I thought was 1st gear (what seemed like 6 clicks down) put my knee on the seat and gave it throttle and it would start to move and then bog down (trying to go slightly uphil) So I figured I'm to heavy I stepped off gave it throttle to walk it around the yard it pullwd and moved great, and to be honest I grabbed a little bit of throttle and it about got away from me ...so it seems to drive ok I guess but 2 things I noticed. 1. When in gear it every so slightly feels like it's trying to move forward but I can hold it back with my finger on the rear rack. 2. When I put my knee back down on it to drive it into the garage I gave it plenty of throttle and it moved and died(trying to go up hill) once again I'm to big I believe, also when it turned off I reached down to push the shifter down into neutral and couldnt find it, only when I shifted it up I think 3 or 4 times did I find neutral...does all this sound normal and does anyone know the shift pattern it's not stamped on the side thand in advance!

Old 10-05-2016, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you need to look at the clutch...it sounds like it's an auto clutch machine and may be slipping under load. If the clutch checks out then I'd give it a compression test next...

Old 10-06-2016, 02:31 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Bottom gear will be next to neutral, so you probably had it in top. If the idle is set a little high, it will try to move forwards, setting the idle so it doesn't stall and doesn't try to set off can be tricky.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome ignore guys, thank you! So turns out yes I had my gears backwards. Runs and rides great with a. Good amount of power...only problem now is the bike moving forward on it own turns out to be the throttle cable...when j turned the wheels in neutral to back it up it started reving really high turned them back and it went to normal, starting fidgeting with the cable and could make the idle go crazy by just touch the cable. Haven't inspected any further than that but it is routed accross and down the front of the bars which seems to be extremely taunt so that seems to be the only adjustments the bike needs then on to the fun stuff, cleaning! Thanks again