Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Issues with Polaris Outlaw 90 starter

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 01:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jjb1983
I’m curious if you ever resolved this starter gear issue. I am on my third gear and can’t figure out what gives. To me it seems like the clutch spins free and does not drag during cranking but the engine does kick back and that is what initially damages the gear and then progressively gets worse the more you use it. I talked to the local Polaris dealer and they “have never heard of this issue”. Yeah right. Thanks

It's been awhile, but I took the one-way clutch out, the one with the rollers in it, and noticed some deformation on the surface they grip on. I ended up replacing that assembly, along with the idler gear shown in the pictures, and didn't have anymore problems for a few more months when I sold the bike. Best thing I can think of, is the deformation was causing the one way clutch to grab, when it shouldn't have been.

Old 09-22-2020, 04:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffBoyardee
It's been awhile, but I took the one-way clutch out, the one with the rollers in it, and noticed some deformation on the surface they grip on. I ended up replacing that assembly, along with the idler gear shown in the pictures, and didn't have anymore problems for a few more months when I sold the bike. Best thing I can think of, is the deformation was causing the one way clutch to grab, when it shouldn't have been.

Thanks for the reply! I’ll have a look at the one way clutch to see if it has any abnormalities.