Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Polaris Outlaw 50 idle rev limit / wiring diagram

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 06:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Outlaw 50 idle rev limit / wiring diagram

I picked up a nonrunning Outlaw 50 4 stroke for $200. I got it running and had some starter and starter clutch issues. Once that was corrected it was starting, running, riding and idling great. Then while riding it got stuck at idle. It's stuck electronically. It's definitely the ignition not letting it rev. I figured it was probably the electronic throttle control but I've tried unhooking and jumping and messing with the switch and have had no luck. I'm wondering of there's a bad connection elsewhere in that circuit but can't find a wiring diagram. Any input on this? Thanks.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:51 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just get a cheap 5 buck manual for for your year model. Has the trouble shooting tests,wiring diagram.Polaris ATV Service Manuals PDF Download

Old 12-08-2017, 09:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks! I figured out my wiring question on my own but downloaded the manual anyway. I looked at a 2 stroke diagram and found the grey wire at the ETC switch is connected to the grey wire at the CDI and the 4 stroke is the same.
My CDI is receiving ground from the ETC switch when the throttle is opened just like it should, but the engine is still not being allowed to rev. It seems to me the CDI has failed but I'd like a more positive diagnosis before buying one.
There is a troubleshooting tree which is titled- ATV rev limits in forward gear. And that is my exact issue. But that tree is VERY basic and mostly applies to the 90cc which has reverse. First step is jump ground to the CDI via the ETC switch, then does it still limit. Answer on mine is yes. Then it says 90cc only but check for the dark blue wire at the CDI for continuity to ground. That wire goes to the reverse switch and indicator. And if it still limits it says check the reverse switch which mine does not have. No where does it ever say to replace the CDI for this issue.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Manuals also show in the no spark/weak section that the ignition switch or left control switch can cause problems and to disconnect the black kill wire from the cdi(if you have the two stroke) and see if it still limits.If it still limits make sure to check stator resistance specs. Also unplug the regulator and see if any change. Sometimes the etc switch can fail,but the most problems I had was on stators and cdi modules.

Old 12-08-2017, 03:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mine is a 4 stroke but I'll try those things, along with some other checks and report back. I could be mistaken but I don't think the stators should be near the problems as they were on the 2 strokes since it appears the stator is fully sealed from the elements.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

2007 up to 2014 models have the gear position switch. That's something I'd check out as if it fails it could be sticking between gear positions and that in itself can cause limiting.#23.

Attached Thumbnails Polaris Outlaw 50 idle rev limit / wiring diagram-7c05d14f52ca2365a2c6795311165983b8ac3e8d.png  
Old 12-08-2017, 04:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Disregard that last post as I just noticed you have the 50,not the 90.. Doesn't have the sensor on these.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well it passes every test and check I've done. Almost has to be the CDI. But this bike is pretty dirty yet the CDI is unusually clean. I almost wonder if it's already been replaced. I bought it at an auction not running so I have no idea why it was no longer being ridden. I'm not sure what to do here!

Old 12-09-2017, 08:21 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Have you pulled the stator cover and check for any dirt around the face of the pick up coil? Wouldn't hurt to pull the flywheel and clean it along with the stator with electrical contact cleaner. Resistance readings may show good on the pick up coil but a film of dirt/oil on it or the flywheel can screw things up. If this checks out then sounds like you're down to the cdi.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I'm getting a little somewhere. I bought an Outlaw 90 and tried the CDI on the 50. The 50 will now rev high enough to move but still has a mid RPM rev limit like maybe it's sensing reverse. The 50 doesn't have reverse but the CDI came from a bike that does. Im gonna check that circuit one more time and then it's time for a CDI. The problem is the cost. It's $135 on line, I paid $200 for the bike. There are after market for 2010 and up on ebay for $35, but I need 07 to 10, the part number is different. But I'm wondering if I should chance it since the 90 takes a different part number but the 50 runs with that one. The earlier 4 stroke 50, later 4 stroke 50 and the 4 stroke 90 all have different CDI but the same stator.

Quick Reply: Polaris Outlaw 50 idle rev limit / wiring diagram