Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

KFX 90 - No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 05:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KFX 90 - No Spark

Hello all! I've got a KFX 90 that won't start. I'm getting no spark. I've had issues with it for a while, but they are intermittent. It runs fine, put it away, a few days or a week later it won't fire. A few more weeks, it worked fine. I took it to a tech, a rather substantial jolt when unloading it from the truck, and it worked fine for them. Ran fine when we got it home, not it won't run again.

I've replaced the coil (I did that early when it wouldn't run and it miraculously ran fine after that for a while).

I'm not getting any voltage at the coil now, so it appears to be something before the coil.

It seems to be a wiring issue or something. I did find some wires with the insulation rubbed off, so thought maybe there was a short, but separated them all and still no luck.

Couple questions:
  1. Is the kill switch supposed to be open or closed when in the 'run' position? I get no continuity with it in the 'run' position, but do get continuity with it off.
  2. How do I go about troubleshooting from here?

HELP!!!

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-16-2018, 12:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think you essentially answered your own question with the continuity statement. If it had continuity and that changes when you press it, the kill switch is probably not the issue. I’d go through every connection, clean and grease, retape the rubbed insulation.

Not sure the specifics on testing your cdi, but if you get to that point, you could probably find an el cheapo cdi on eBay. Save some money instead of the 200 dollar gamble on a oem cdi

Old 11-16-2018, 12:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by untraceable
I think you essentially answered your own question with the continuity statement. If it had continuity and that changes when you press it, the kill switch is probably not the issue. I’d go through every connection, clean and grease, retape the rubbed insulation.

Not sure the specifics on testing your cdi, but if you get to that point, you could probably find an el cheapo cdi on eBay. Save some money instead of the 200 dollar gamble on a oem cdi
Thanks for the help. Yeah, I figured the switch was working since it was switching on/off. Just seemed backwards.

Thanks for the tip on the cdi. I'm going to try to figure out how to test that this weekend I guess.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a KFX50 and though a very different bike, my kill switch/ignition switch operates the same. Previous owner lost the key so just unplugging the switch bypassed it

good luck. Nothing more frustrating than intermittent problems.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a KFX50 and though a very different bike, my kill switch/ignition switch operates the same. Previous owner lost the key so just unplugging the switch bypassed it
good luck.

Thanks!

Nothing more frustrating than intermittent problems.
Ain't that the truth!