Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 500 no spark- one spark - spark!! Success

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 03:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 500 no spark- one spark - spark!! Success

Long but if you are having spark problems it may be worth your time to read
Posted a month or so ago about my 1999 Sportsman 500 no spark problem.. chased problem to the stator. Ordered new stator bobbins from Ricky Stator in CA. Installed bobbins, atv started up.. good.. shut it off put covers on.. no start again.. bad.. checked conections started up again but ran crappy, missing , backfiring...bad! Figured this was a timing issue, took it back to the local shop that pulled the flywheel and stator so they could make sure the stator was in properly.. At the shop atv would not start.. plug would only fire once.. then nothing until the ignition switch was cycled off/on then only one spark. Mechanic said he could not find any problem except the resistance reading for one of the new bobbins was high, book said should be 1.6 ohms was reading 3.5. Brought atv home. Called Ricky, these people were GREAT, lady there got their tech on a speaker phone( he wasn't even at work that day). Tech assured me the 3.5 ohms was acceptable. Using info from this forum I disconnected the black wire from the CDI box an now she was a'sparkin like she should...great...still would not start...Bad. Again I came back to this forum and ask.. what the heck??? GarryESE responed that just because I got sparking with the plug out and grounded did not prove I was getting spark under comperssion, suggested i try a new plug..he was right, put in new plug and the atv is up and running for the last two weeks no problems....EXCEPT.... I now need to find what is connected to the black wire from the CDI box (and how to test) that keeps it from sparking. Right now the black wire is still disconnected and we are choking it to shut it off.
THANKS for the help!!

Old 11-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Trailblazer
Default Sportsman 500 no spark- one spark - spark!! Success

Glad I could help.

I run a small engine shop. We run into this spark plug issue several times a week.

I believe the black wire from the CDI goes to the engine kill switch and the ingition switch. Check the black wire for a short. Test each switch if the wiring is in good shape. The engine kill switch is the most common problem of the two switches.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Lt230e one spark

Hey everyone I’m new to this wed site I have a Lt230e that when I first pull it over it gets one spark and won’t start but this happened only at night or when the air is moist out side and it would cut off when I enter wet or dark places...I have no ideas what it could be.someone said it’s the stator so I tested the stator and it was good and replaced the pick up coil I had to do the piston on it and did the timing if the timing is like one tooth off would it run but do this....because I can start it sometimes later in the day when it’s dry and sunny thank you

Old 02-11-2022, 11:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hello Garry,

was wondering if you could help me as well, i currently have a 2011 DS 90 with no spark. I have replaced the stator, ignition coil, rectifier and CDI box with no success. Not sure what else to look for. which black wire from the CDI can i disconnect to see if its something with the kill switch? I am currently at a total loss.

Thanks in advance

Old 05-06-2023, 10:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 04 polaris sportsmen

2004 polaris sportsmen 500 ho can someone help me figure out whats wrong with it it gets one good spark and then weak spark it have changed the cdi the starter and I cant figure if its the coil or not