Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Kids Electric ATV Won't Start (Clicking Sounds)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 08:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kids Electric ATV Won't Start (Clicking Sounds)

my kids electric atv sky3722 (yea I know not a real one) won't start and just makes a clicking noise, tested battery and its fully charged.

the start button is a maintained switch and reaches the 12v for a split second on the 3rd prong when the button is pressed to start the atv, and then it goes down to 0v.

If I understand correctly if this is a maintained switch this voltage drop when the switch is activated is not good and that 3rd prong should stay high at 12v while it is activated right?

Image of the switch. thanks so much for any help!

Old 10-08-2020, 12:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some info at

Does the switch light up when pressed? And stay lit up till you press it again? Does it sit lower when supposedly 'on' and return to a higher level when supposedly 'off' again?

I tried the online chat at the company that seems to sell these, they were helpful, but they want to know serial numbers etc. Parts wise, they did say that they didn't offer spares directly. You could try them at their website bestchoiceproducts dot com

Looking on ebay, there does seem to be a good selection of very similar illuminated maintained 3-terminal (perm 12V, 0V, switched 12V) pushbuttons that would work well as a direct replacement, take your pick..

Maybe something like https://www.ebay.com/itm/232393272918

Without some more info I'd be hesitant to say anything for sure but, I would definitely think 12V should be there in a stable manner. Wnen you refer to the '3rd prong' do you mean the terminal with one orange and 2 reds all connected to it?

Old 10-11-2020, 07:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm not sure what happened to my reply that I did last week, but let me retype it here again.

First of all thank you so much for going and doing all of that with contacting the manufacturer, my god, I didnt' even think they had a website, I will try that also.

I did purchase those 3 prong switches you linked to and also some on amazon a week ago.

The start button light stays lit for about the split second the bike gets power and moves, about .3 seconds. then the light goes off the exact time the motor turns off. I tested this activity with the voltmeter and the it makes sense because meter goes high to low as this happens.

yes that 3rd prong that I refer is the activated one that goes high (for a split second) when the switch is activated, it has an orange wire and 2 red wires. I think they are, motor wire (orange), headlight wire, radio wire.

Battery is good testing at 12.5v

Also the replacement battery tests perfect also.

Old 10-12-2020, 05:06 AM
Trailblazer

Have you tried the new switch or has it not come yet..

Old 10-12-2020, 10:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

waiting on the switch that matches the one on the bike to come still

Old 10-12-2020, 11:31 AM
Trailblazer

My money would be on a successful fix once it comes. Good luck!

Old 10-14-2020, 09:37 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

my money would be on the throttle controller as the voltage for the motors is not going to run through that switch as it would be to much under load and burn that switch right up. Easy way to find out is us a jumper wire and jump the red and orange together this will be the same thing as turning the switch on.. The black wire is just a ground to make the switch light turn on

Old 10-14-2020, 11:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don't see any wires coming from the battery that go directly to this throttle controller. the battery only has 2 positive wires going from it, one going to the charging port, and the other going to this exact switch.

How is the electricity getting to the motor or throttle switch if not through this switch?

Old 12-02-2020, 06:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so I tried to jump the wires and I would see a spark and then the fuse would make a clicking sound and nothing would happen. about 10 seconds later the fuse would click again and I could repeat the same.

Maybe its the fuse so bought these on amazon:

this is a pic of the throttle which seems to be just a switch when I googled KCD4 15a 250vac 20a 125vac

I was reading about how to test this throttle switch and it said, pos and neg wire test should read ~12v. positive and data wire should read ~0v when no throttle and ~12v when there is throttle.

Old 12-11-2020, 06:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok so what was wrong with it was the speed switch (fast or slow) was not connected on all 6 terminals. So I reconnected it and the scooter turns on and rides now.

The following users liked this post:
boulderboy (12-12-2020)

Quick Reply: Kids Electric ATV Won't Start (Clicking Sounds)