Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Youth Sized 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 03:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Youth Sized 4x4

Does anyone make a youth sized 4x4? I have a SP90 but it jast can't go where it needs to without 4WD. I was thinking of something 250cc or less. I'ld like to have something that doesn't have a shift transmission. The perfect youth utility atv, my opinion, would be a Sportsman physically about 1/2 the size of a SP400. If anyone from Polaris r&d or product development looks at the forums, think about it.

Old 03-09-2003, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default Youth Sized 4x4

polaris had an explorer 250 but they cut it last year. i still have mine and its a nice machien, very heavy for a 250, with fluids in it its on the border of 600. might be able to find one used. now i think the smallest4wd auto is the p360 wich is a VERY nice machien if you can live with out the extra pistion. you might want to look at the hondas. the rancher ES is a good machien or the recon ES. put more aggresive tires on the back and with a little momentem you can go just about anywhere. my cousin is pulling 23inch gators pretty easy. those are what i would keep an eye out for. smaller price tags then the p360 and much lighter but you also sacrafice the auto tranny. ES it about as close as you will get to an affordable, easy to drive, go-anywhere kind of machien. hope this helps ya

Old 03-09-2003, 03:55 PM
Trailblazer
Default Youth Sized 4x4

I'm familiar with the 250 Polaris. My thoughts are someone needs to build a 4x4 physically smaller and lighter. Less seat height and shorter length. From my experiance with the SP 90, It's good on dry ground and trails but can't go in mud or snow.

Old 03-09-2003, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Youth Sized 4x4

i know what you saying, my little brother has a scrambler 90. you know why they dont make small bore 4wd's???? people look at HP ratings. i think big companys see small bore 4wd's as an expense. they dont want to put R&D time into something that small. now days everyone has something thats a 450 or larger, so thats what they focuse on. i can remember when the sp 500 was the biggest on the block, now we have 700 twins.that may be why the timber wolf and explorer were cut. though the polsris may have been cut for different things. i know mine will NOT stay in one peice. this summer i threw the front end out of it. $400 to get it fixed, i was very p!$$ed, for good reason.....matter of fact i had 400 good reasons to be p!$$ed [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. i dont know if i just got a lemon or what, but thats my out look on this subject

Old 03-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Trailblazer
Default Youth Sized 4x4

Utility ATVs are supposed to be they top sellers in all brands. If a munufacterer was an the ball they would realize that they could probably sell 1 or more small 4x4 ATVs for every full sized one. I could use one for at least one of my kids. I bought my SP400 so I would have something without too much power for my daughter. CC size ratings for kids aside, we need some more choices for kids. There seem to be a lot of sport atvs sized for kids.

Old 03-22-2003, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default Youth Sized 4x4

think about it, small bore will keep u going, but then add the extra weight for a front diff, and now u need more power to make it work the way it should, im not sold on the idea that it would be feasable then u add the xtra cost to buy it.......midas well get one the is bigger any way right? just my 2 cents worth.

usa #1

Old 03-22-2003, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Youth Sized 4x4

and i thought this post was dead. he has a point, added weight means you need more power. i think your on to something here. but just because its a good idea dusn't mean big brands will go for it. they dont see a 90cc quad as a serious go-anywhere machien and i can't see as i blame them. its low to the ground, water and mud in the cvt and intake. if it were out of the deeper stuff it might not be so bad but once it gets over/close to the floor bords it might be problematic

Old 03-23-2003, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default Youth Sized 4x4

but still if could be done it would be nice for the little ones.i know my son could have used 4wd today.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2003, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Youth Sized 4x4

We've found that the weak point on my son's TRX 90 is ground clearance. I guess due to the light weight of both quad and rider, 2wd with stock tires takes him anywhere we go in full sized 4x4's. In three years of running on all kinds of trails the only thing that has stopped him has been getting high centered by getting caught in ruts made by bigger ATV's. While a small 4x4 would be cool, I think that getting more ground clearance on a small lightwieght 2wd will get it through just as much rough riding as the extra weight of 4wd.

Jaybee

Old 03-24-2003, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider
Default Youth Sized 4x4

Here is the best I can do for you guys.
Put a DRR intake on the SP90. This will get the air intake out of the mud.
Put on reaar mud tires 18-9.5-8. They have a lot of bite.
Power up that machine with a Power up kit to get teh tires a spinning.
Put on a water tight CVT cover and give it a shot.
Can't help the ground clearance much. You can go with bigger tires, but that robs a lot of power from the machine. Bigger tires with a bigger rear sprocket will work as long as you increase the power of the engine by a lot.