Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT250r91 - 300 gasgas questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT250r91 - 300 gasgas questions

Been looking at the GasGas 300 and was wondering how you are doing with yours. This is mainly going to be used for trail riding which I feel it should be pretty good with the useable power it looks like this thing should have. Do you know how the handling/ suspension is on the newer models. I know there was some complaints about it on the first versions. Any advice you could give I would appreciate. Looking for a list of pro's and con's and any problems you have found.

Old 03-10-2003, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I don't know about the newer versions handling wise, but I had Ohlins revalve my fronts and it seeed to make a big difference. The rear shock seems to be close in stock form and with some adjusting and removing the external blocker under the shaft stopper bumper you add 1/2" more shaft travel. By doning this you will need to move the airbox up a little so it doesn't hit the swing-arm. Since you plan on trail riding with it I'd hold off until the 48" wide version is available. The current 52" width is a little wide for most uses. I talk to a couple guys that switch to 4+1 rims and adjusted the factory a-arms and were able to reduce the width to around 49" this maybe narrow enough pending on trail conditions you ride on. The only compliant I have is the handling issues. I've fixed the stiff steering by adding spacers in the upper steering clamp and that loosen up the steering a good bit.

My best advice to test ride it and make sure it is the machine you really what for what you plan on doing with it. This machine is awesome, but it might not be for you. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for any current other model quad on the market.

The problems I have ran across at the first 2 rounds of the GNCC's are as follows:

Lost brakes (due to sandy track conditions) * note everyone that raced lost brakes so it was the track not the pads.

Sand and mud got into the locks causing them to be a pain in the butt to open. I since Duct tape the gas cap and seat latch before every race to keep mud and other things out. This fixed the problem.

I fried my clutch at round 2 do to heavy mud and ruts on the track. I feel track conditions are to blame for the failure. Only way to know for sure is to see how long the next one last.

Other than these above things mine has ran great with no other problems. My only complaint other that suspension is the locks getting stuff in them making it hard to unlock them. Other thing I would like to see is an airbox lid on the quad. I'm talking with Outerwears on a screen style lid for it. A radiator grill/screen would be other nice thing to have for the heavy mud races. I'm looking to make a throwaway style one out of plastic for heavy mud races.

I hope all this helps. If you have any questions ask away.

Mike

Old 03-10-2003, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for the input. The airbox lid is also a concern I have because of my riding conditions alot of the time. Do you know any of the history on the motor. Is this a new design or has it been used in other applications. Interested in how it is holding up over the long haul. Since I ride trails and get 20 away from nowhere it has to be reliable. I have had blasters and recently just sold my banshee and both of those were very reliable. I just cant talk myself into a 4 stroke. I dont care for the feel of the motor I like the 2 stoke pull. I guess the only 4 stroke right now would be the predator I would consider. The new gasgas 4 stroke is fuel injected and I cant own something I cant work on. Any idea on when the 48" version will be here? Also, how is the availabilty of parts and where is a good dealership to buy these from. Thanks

Old 03-10-2003, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

The motor is the same one that is in their dirtbikes. Last year a GNCC racer won the Open A Class (not 100% sure on the class) but he was on the 300 bike and didn't have any problems with the engine at all. Everyone I've talked to about the engine said it is bulletproof and is one of the best 2-stroke engines on the market right now. So I'm not worried about the engine since I've heard nothing but good about it. I feel that as long as you service the quad you shouldn't have any problems. As far as dealer info and the release of the 48" wide a-arms your best bit is to contact GasGas importer in Florida and ask them. The number is 1-877-9gasgas. I been talking to John when I call, but if he is unavailable any of the others can help you.

4-strokes are the way of the future and 2-strokes will start to be fading out more and more over the next few years. The big advantage of a 4-stroke is the life of the piston and rings between rebiulds compare to a 2-stroke. I personally will stick with the 2-strokes as long as I can since the thrill of the ride is more fun, plus the ease to work on them. The engine is so simple and easy to rebuild.

Goodluck and I'll let you know what comes of the outerwear airbox lid as soon as I know.

Mike