Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Which kid quad to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 12:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which kid quad to buy?

Need some help. Looking for input from all of you who have kid quads. I have a couple of Chinese quads and am tired of always having to mess with them. In your opinions what is the best under 90cc main-stream quad? We do alot of trail and hill climbing. I also am looking for what provides a good base for mods as the kids get older. (kids are currently 5 and 7) Give me your good, bad, and ugly!!! I am currently leaning towards the Suzuki LT80 but want your input! Thanks for the help!!

Old 03-17-2003, 02:45 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They've been around forever but there is still none better than the Honda TRX90 and the Suzuki (Kawasaki) LT80. Both are solid reliable bikes that will last forever with minor routine maintanance.

If you are going to race, go with the LT80. There are many more mods out there for it and the 2-stroke lends itself better for racing. If you want a kids ride for trails - something to ride along with dad - then the Honda 90 is by far the best.
To compare the two (stock), The LT will have a quicker start but the TRX has a higher top speed. TRX has much more low end for hill climbing and any slow technical rides. Ground clearence is the same on both as is suspension travel but the set up of the rear suspension on the Honda is better. Both the 5 year old and 7 year old will fit on the LT, The TRX will be a bit large for a 5 year old but will still be a usable size for a couple of years past the LT. The LT80 is the smallest non-50 out there, the Honda 90 is the largest. The LT80 is much easier to learn on - It has an auto transmission and electric start to compare to the Honda's 4-speed auto clutch and pull start. On the plus side, the TRX will hit on the first pull, although it is very cold blooded and requires a lot of choke nursing for several minutes. Having a 4-speed IS harder to learn but it's a good skill to have in an ATV. It does give the Honda the edge in downhills as it has engine braking. Both bikes have hand & foot brakes - Right foot & left hand = rear, Right hand = front. The Honda costs about $200 more than the Suzuki at MSRP.

I went through this same choice a few years ago and researched it as much as I could. The mags have done several TRX90 vs LT80 vs Badger (Raptor) 80 shootouts and the results are always the same: #1 Honda, #2 Suzuki and #3 Yamaha. I went with the Honda 90 for my then 8 year old son. We have never regretted our choice even though now, at 11 1/2, he is about to outgrow it. As I have two younger sons waiting in the wings, I expect to keep the TRX for a long time. We ride a Prairie 650 and an Eiger 4x4. The Honda 90 goes wherever we go. The only thing that can stop it is if it gets high centered in a set of ruts. I put a 2x6 bumper board on the back of the rear rack so we can just give it a nudge if he ever gets stuck. We've done as much as 85 miles in one day with the TRX. Top speed with a 70-80lb rider is 34 MPH. Maintainence has been normal - air filter, oil change, new brakes.

You cannot go wrong with either one but the Honda will definately out perform the LT on the trails.

Jaybee

Old 03-17-2003, 10:29 AM
Trailblazer

Five years ago the LT-80 was very popular as it was about the only 2 stroke youth quad out there and one you could set up to race. This is not the case anymore!!! Today the Suzuki LT80 is one of the worst most unsafe youth quads on the market with 10 year old technology!!! Suzuki has not done one upgrade in ten years other than to change the color of it's plastic and raise it's price each year. They have the narrowest wheel space of any 80cc or 90cc youth quad which lends them to tip and flip very easy. The LT-80 is the most difficult quad to work on as you have to remove just about everything to get to anything and the part are very high!!! They use the cheapest roller weight in the front variator which get flat spots on them so plan on replacing those with in the first 30 days and to do that plan on removing all the foot pegs to get the trans cover off. Example, a starter will cost you over $250.00 and you have to pull the engine to R & R it. You can purchase a hand pull for $ 100.00 The Suspention is the worst on the market with 2" front travel unless you spend the about 300.00 for + 2 A-arms and add works shocks for another $289.00. As for the rear the LT80 does not even have a swing arm!!! They bolt the rear axle directly to the engine. Doing this you can never adjust your chain many have ended up with broken cases as a result. We call them the Hellt-80 and if you buy one you will see why! The price for a new HELLT -80 is $2,200.00 - $ 2,400.00 depending were you go, by the time you get out the door they can have you up to $2,600.00 to $2,800.00 with all their add on charges and sales tax. The TRX 90 is not the quad for a 5 or 7 year old 1st timer and should only be purchased for a youth that age who has had plenty of experience riding a youth quad. Most at that age will not have the strength to start it using the pull cord. Cold Blooded you got that right! TRX is a Manuel shift that takes a lot of time and frustration for kids at that age to learn when and where to up and down shift. It is very dangerous for inexperienced kids in hill climbing because they can shift it in to neutral and panic. I have seen it happen more than once. Also if they hold the gear shifter down while reving it up and then release their foot it is just like dumping the clutch and the quad can flip right over on top of them, see it happen more than once! The TRX 90 only has a pull start, when the rope breaks your out of luck. The TRX 90 is a great farm implement when you attach a mower deck to it or use it to harrow your field dragging an Hellt-80. Over the years we have owned several Hellts, TRX-90s and others. I would not recommend these two in any way today. Today we have available the best built safest youth quads on the market. All you have to do is pick up any ATV mag to see that the Kasea Skyhawks are hand down the best. Kasea has been around for over 10 years and leads the way in technology and safety. Best built frames, Double clevis a-arms, A true adult swing arm. head light and tail lights, fully adjustable Showa shocks front and rear. 2 stroke with electric start and kick start back up. Fully automatic trans, Front and rear safety tethers. Oil injection with warning light, electric choke, Extremely easy to work on, parts are inexpensive, Example, starters are $75.00 and it take 3 minutes to change one out if needed. Also you can see all the after market performance kits and custom made parts and accessories for the Kasea which are available at www.dirtrides.com What ever you buy be sure to do your home work check out atv mags and other forums.

Old 03-17-2003, 10:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input from both you guys. I spent about 2 hours last night reading all the forums on the net I could find. What about the Dinli's? Saw on their web sie they also offer one with reverse. At this point we don't have racing asperations but who knows?! The current Long Changs were a good try but the quality sucks. It was the reverse gear that suckered me in. Chinese quality is terrible. They are just tiring to ride. Good garage sale fodder! Anyone else have input or opinions?

Old 03-17-2003, 10:38 PM
RIP Dear Friend

This is just a thought and I know what I would do if I was in your
position.

I know you can't legally purchase one for a child but I would go to your
nearest Yamaha dealer and look at the Yamaha 125cc Breeze anyway. I
watched a 9 year old on one yesterday and he was having a blast.The
Yamaha breeze has been around for a long time and is bulletproof. He has
been riding this quad for almost 2 years.

Chet

Link to Yamaha Breeze

Old 03-17-2003, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

I am no expert on the subject, but I bought my 5 year old son a quad just 3 weeks ago. We looked at everything we could find and then settled on the Polaris Predator 90. It has a nice wide stance, Razr type tires, full floorboards, and more than 4" suspension travel front and rear. It has an electronic limiter as well as a stop for the thumb throttle. With the jumper on the CDI it won't go over 15 mph. I wish my Z400 would corner like the little Predator, very very stable. Only thing I would change would be to add headlights.

Old 03-18-2003, 01:25 AM
Trailblazer

I got my kids a predator 90 for Christmas. So far its been great and does seem stable,I even play on it once in a while!
I don't have anything to compare it to but I would recomend it to anyone.
Steve

Trending Topics

Old 03-18-2003, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

The DInli Helix has a reverse gear. The case has proven to be strong and the reverse has been fairly reliable. Only seen one come back to us. For trail riding, I still like the TRX90 and the Helix. Not sure which I would pick. The DRR 90GT is a copy of the TRX90. I cannot say how much I like them, but the support is there from DRR. I have not had one for long enough to say. A 2 stroke 90 or 100 (Dinli or Kasea) racing machine is good in the woods too. You just lose the lights, reverse. I really would need more information before I will suggest which machine is best for you. Stay away from the Long Chin, QVC and whatever else you see on E-Bay unless you really know what you are buying.

Old 03-18-2003, 06:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Tommy sent you an email from another forum. feel free to respond on this forum or by email. Thanks for the help. Can't afford to make a second mistake!!!!!

Old 03-18-2003, 09:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yah I'd say right now it's between the Yamaha Breeze, TRX 90 or Dinli. For those of you out there don't waste your money on the Long Changs I bought 2 at Christmas time for the kids but haven't been happy. The quality isn't there. But if any of you really like 'em or would like to try 2 of them I'll make you a sweet deal!!!! Any other voices or thoughts!?

Quick Reply: Which kid quad to buy?