Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

2001 Polaris Scrambler 90 carb help needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 06:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Polaris Scrambler 90 carb help needed

Glad to hear you got it running now. Predator is right. You probably bent the tab a little on the 13th time you took the carb apart. Make sure that the machine is getting enough fuel after you bend it. The way I do this is to put the machne up on a stacnd crank it and run it wide open. If it revs quickly then falls off for 5 seconds or so, then runs up again. You are running it out of fuel. You have bent the tab a little to much.

Old 08-01-2003, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Guys,
I am ready to tear my hair out! My boys 02 Scrambler 90 dies when you give it more than half throttle. I have changed the air and fuel filters, removed the carb. and cleaned it thoroughly outside and flushed it inside. I checked all connections. Any ideas on what worked? How do you clean the flywheel?
Any help is appreciated.
Cammer

Old 08-24-2003, 06:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a polaris scrambler 2002 for my kids with ALL the problems rolled into one. Please help!
The bike is tough but it NEVER starts up without a fight. I get spark sometimes. I wonder if the tether switch is bad or the electricle system to the spark plug is bad or ... And the choke thing is terrible. can it be replaced with a mechanacle one or has anyone been lucky with a mod carb. i would get pipes and stuff but i need to get through these few gremlins first. the bike would rule if we could modify these couple of problems perminantly. the dealers are useless, as we all know. long island ,ny

Old 08-24-2003, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

well i finally got the 50 going. first there is an air leak on the intake that to this day i can't find so i improvised by turning the air adjustment all the way in, then there was dirt in the petcock and dirt in the carb it's self....... after all that it runs pretty good. i hope this helps.

Old 08-25-2003, 11:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

if anyone has a problem with the polaris automatic choke when starting should call the National Highway Safety Administration at 1-888-327-4236 and make an official complaint so then we can get a recall going. That is the ONLY way out! Those automatic never worked properly and polaris knows that because they changed the design the following year. If enough people make a complaint they will do something about it. Have the vin number ready and thats it.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Check your compression.

Originally Posted by lisnup
I have a 2001 Polaris Scrambler 90 that my son rides. The machine sat for around 3 months this past winter. I did not use a fuel stabilizer and in my area we have the reformulated garbage gas. When I pulled the machine out this spring it fired right up. I topped the fuel off, added injector oil, lubed the machine up, and checked air pressure. My son took it out for a ride and I noticed that he appeared stalled about 150 yards from me. I walked over and asked what was wrong and he said the machine keeps wanting to die. I goy on and the machine took right off, but after hitting wide open throttle the machine started to sputter and back fire and basically die out. If I let off the throttle the machine idles just fine.
Now I assumed that I had a simple carb cleaning issue as I was sure that the jets were gummed up or plugged. I took the carb off and proceeded to clean. As I figured both the main and the pilot jet had a hazy film covering the holes. I cleaned them and all other areas of the carb with carb cleaner and reassembled. All seemd fine after reinstalling the carb, but then 10 minutes later the same thing happened. Again I disassembled the carb, but this time I could not find anything anywhere.
I have taken the carb off the machine now a total of 21 times in the past week and I cannot get this machine to run at open throttle. I changed the plug, checked the electronic choke, changed the fuel filter, drained the fuel and replaced all fuel lines. Still the exact same problem!!!! The machine starts and idles great. At 1/4 to 3/4 throttle it runs OK with a slight hesitation occasionaly. At full throttle it runs for a few seconds then starts sputtering and bogging.

What I am asking for is help. If anyone knows what it may be please let me know. I also need to know what the factory setting for the airscrew is. I adjusted mine and before doing so I screwed it all the way in counting the screw-driver turns. I had only a 1/2 turn to closed. Does this sound right?
Any help on what I am missing would greatly be appreciated.

Oh yeah, I do notice that at idle or throttle the carb seems to spit or mist a good amount of fuel out the air inlet side of the carb. This does not seem normal to me. Please feel free to email me at lisnup65@yahoo.com for more info if need be.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Had the same issue with one I picked up for my grandson, ran for a few minutes and then just died. Wait awhile and it would run for a few minutes and die. After buying a new carburetor and an intake because I thought I may have cracked it removing the old carb I did a compression test right after it died and had nothing. As the cylinder expanded the rings were no longer seating. Grabbed a rebuild kit from eBay and had it running in no time but still have an issue with the enrichener which is why I am here.