KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

ATK is the new owners!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATK is the new owners!!!!

Will Dinli be using the same engine layout/frame as the former model line? It will be nice for the current owners if they continue to make the same parts. I will be interested to see what the frames look like if they continue to use aluminum. Cannondale welds look like artwork, at least that's how it is on my bicycles.

Just what did ATK buy? The left over parts inventory? Who bought the manufacturing equipment? Dinli? I'm so confused. Help me, Help me, I've fallen and I can't get up!

Would someone mind telling me in 3 sentences or less just what the ____ is going on?

Old 09-07-2003, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dont be confused. ATK ownes only the parts that were left

Old 09-08-2003, 03:00 AM
Range Rover

Sounds like maybe they bought the parts division to get the designs for the "quiet gears". This technology would not be limited to Cannondales.

Old 09-08-2003, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MDE3
Sounds like maybe they bought the parts division to get the designs for the "quiet gears". This technology would not be limited to Cannondales.
The "quiet gears" are not propietary. Just like the "electronic control boards" from another thread.

Old 09-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Range Rover

I stand doubly corrected....was speculating of course.and it would make sense. On the electronics - I understood they had some problems as RRP was working on testing some new prototypes for the control modules a little over a year ago - having seen problems both on the bikes as well as the quads.

Hard information is alays preferrable over speculation.

Old 09-08-2003, 10:07 PM
Trailblazer

As mentioned, the quiet gears are not unique to Cdale but are an engineering exercise that Cdale did not want to invest in until the last months of production. Then they talked about having the work done but never committed by issuing purchase orders, but the boys out East went ahead on their own thinking Cdale had no choice but to bring down the DB of the engine. Of course we all know what happended and my buddies ate the cost of R&D but that might be recovered with the new relationship with ATK. In the research for Cdale they also discovered some profiles that they are currently using to develop a new race trans for road bikes so the work was not totally lost.

The way I understand things is that ATK uses Rotax and this foray into Cdale motors would be a breakout for them. As far as intellectual properties there are few patents on the machines but what is of value is the drawings and specifications. A little reverse engineering is all that is need to overcome that issue if they can not get the drawings. I can't see anything on the bikes that has not been done before so maybe the patents are just paper and can be easily broken.

I would think that there are not too may obsticles in the way for a rebirth of Cdale motor sports. The bike/ATV will probably never be a mass market item if done right, but that's typical of a high end performance machine. Here's hoping Frank White will do the right thing and bring back an American made performance vehicle. If he does, and the Dinli outfit brings something out also, all I can say is for me, American made goes and off shore blows!

Sorry all you off-shore bike owners but my paycheck comes from an American company and I would rather see my American friends and neighbors prosper than someone I will never meet much less ride with.

Old 09-08-2003, 10:39 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: desertgears
As mentioned, the quiet gears are not unique to Cdale but are an engineering exercise that Cdale did not want to invest in until the last months of production. Then they talked about having the work done but never committed by issuing purchase orders, but the boys out East went ahead on their own thinking Cdale had no choice but to bring down the DB of the engine. Of course we all know what happended and my buddies ate the cost of R&D but that might be recovered with the new relationship with ATK. In the research for Cdale they also discovered some profiles that they are currently using to develop a new race trans for road bikes so the work was not totally lost.

The way I understand things is that ATK uses Rotax and this foray into Cdale motors would be a breakout for them. As far as intellectual properties there are few patents on the machines but what is of value is the drawings and specifications. A little reverse engineering is all that is need to overcome that issue if they can not get the drawings. I can't see anything on the bikes that has not been done before so maybe the patents are just paper and can be easily broken.

I would think that there are not too may obsticles in the way for a rebirth of Cdale motor sports. The bike/ATV will probably never be a mass market item if done right, but that's typical of a high end performance machine. Here's hoping Frank White will do the right thing and bring back an American made performance vehicle. If he does, and the Dinli outfit brings something out also, all I can say is for me, American made goes and off shore blows!

Sorry all you off-shore bike owners but my paycheck comes from an American company and I would rather see my American friends and neighbors prosper than someone I will never meet much less ride with.
Tester agrees. Much R&D work was wa wa wasted in the last months of the project. Sad, but its over. With all the good things tyhat were on the drawing board and in process, its sad it a fell into the Sheet can . The boys from Taiwan can't pick up and carry it. As for ATK, Tester says its just a parts game and we'll probably never see any new products.

Old 09-08-2003, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

As much as I hate to I have to agree with tester...I really can't see atk starting back up production of the quads, bikes maybe. At best I think it will be a limited production of quad/bike with parts on hand, parts that aren't sold outright to fill current demand. I hope Mr. White really is going to do the things he says. But looking at it from a financial stand point I really don't see where it makes sense. It is just too small of a market and price will not be competitive with the yfz or the new honda. I can see atk using the motor to fill the four stroke slot in their line of bikes though. The quad line just seems too costly and c-dales market niche will be filled by trx450 and yfz 450 before atk can start production. I can see atk supporting the dales already out there as a parts vendor/supplier.

Old 09-09-2003, 08:07 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: oldsandman
As much as I hate to I have to agree with tester...I really can't see atk starting back up production of the quads, bikes maybe. At best I think it will be a limited production of quad/bike with parts on hand, parts that aren't sold outright to fill current demand. I hope Mr. White really is going to do the things he says. But looking at it from a financial stand point I really don't see where it makes sense. It is just too small of a market and price will not be competitive with the yfz or the new honda. I can see atk using the motor to fill the four stroke slot in their line of bikes though. The quad line just seems too costly and c-dales market niche will be filled by trx450 and yfz 450 before atk can start production. I can see atk supporting the dales already out there as a parts vendor/supplier.

Tester thanks you for your support! Tester can assure those in doubt that Tester knows many things.

Love,
Tester