KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Cannondale oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My biggest beef with Cannondale

Well my speed has a well over 200 hours on it now and has yet to have a breakdown but there is one thing that really is starting to get annoying. ........ The cost of oil filters. I bought 10 of them when I purchased my quad and they are long gone. Has anyone found another source other than the expensive oem ones.Bulk discounts? please dont suggest the reuasables. thanks

Old 12-31-2003, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

I hear you! One question why don't you like the scotts?

Old 01-01-2004, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

I would have thought that by now someone would have made an adapter to run a filter such as 400ex filter.I think diameter of filter would work but it is longer.So a new filter cover would be needed.

Old 01-01-2004, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider

I think Diamond racing makes the adapter for the 400ex filter. I know last time I talked to Jim he was working on it.

Old 01-01-2004, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

jbomb, your dale is awsome dude!

Old 01-01-2004, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks alot, It looks even better now. I need to get some new pictures posted.

Old 01-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

you asked not to metion the reuseable ones. i am running a reuseable stainless one what is wrong with them?

Old 01-11-2004, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

Some believe that they do not flow the "sludge" oil well enough and can cause failures.

Old 01-12-2004, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

Look fellas, I believe this might apply to my wheeler only so dont go throwing your metal filters out. At about 25 hours of use I cleaned out the metal screen filter on the back of the engine that is fed from the left frame spar. I found one piece of what looked like aluminum welding wire about 3 inches long in the flter. This was the 3rd time I pulled that screen filter and it had nothing in it before or since. Around 100 hours the paper filter was in my estimation 1/3 plugged with aluminum shavings. We couldnt seem to figure out where aluminum shavings would come from other than maybe some slag from the frame welds were breaking off and getting ground up in the oil pump and the filter was catching it before in got circulated in the engine. 2 oil and filter changes in quick sucession seemed to clear up the silver in the oil and no more metal in the filter. That was 5 months ago and the quad has ran flawlessly since then and no more particles in the last 6 oil /filter changes.

My problem with the steel mesh filters is that there is no bypass valve built into the system or the filter. The mesh filters do have a better cleaning abilty than paper but they dont have the capacity of paper .Plus if a paper filter gets too clogged the pleats will fail from excessive presure but at least oil will contunue to flow .Even though it would be dirty oil but that is far more prefferable to no oil . Since I dont know if some shavings are going to show up in the engine again or how much I would prefer to have the paper ones . I am confident the if i had a steel mesh filter in when this situation occurred I would have been looking for a new engine. I wish I would have taken pics to show you how much debris there was in the oil. If there is a mesh filter with a bypass valve out there then I wouldnt have a problem using them.

Old 01-13-2004, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

Wisetech the motor you bought from me used the reuseable filter for most of it's life in my quad. I guess you could judge the motor for yourself as you've seen the inside of it..

Quick Reply: Cannondale oil filters