KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

What motor will fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 12:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What motor will fit

What other motor will fit into a cannondale frame without too many problems?

Old 06-20-2005, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider

i bet a another 450 motor from a yfz or 450r motor or lower in cc's

Old 06-26-2005, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: racer21
What other motor will fit into a cannondale frame without too many problems?
None that Ive heard of. Some have installed yz426 and ktm engines but its a huge hassle .
Hard to beat the new updated engines anyway. You can pull over 50 hp on a stock bore with ported head and stroked crank. On the dyno we were running only a banshee and a highly modded crf450 got any higher numbers.
The cool thing is you dont have to spend thousands to get this power just update the crank and have it stroked at the same time and port the head. No need for titanium valves and aftermarket cams. Dyno sheets are posted on Cannondariders.com.

Old 06-27-2005, 01:24 AM
Trailblazer

right now i just dont have the money to rebuild the motor thats in it and the wiring is junk so i was thinking about getting rid of the cdale motor and maybe putting a cr 250 motor in it. maintnance on one is enough, on two its twice the work. ive got two dale motors that need work so im looking around $5500 worth of work that i cant pay for.

ive read about someone putting a CR 500 bike motor in a dale frame but im not sure how much work it would be. (pipe, chain rollers, axle needs to be turned around, wiring, and motor mounts.)

Old 06-27-2005, 03:40 AM
Pro Rider

$5500? If your looking just to update the motors you can get away with under $200 if you do it yourself. Less than a grand if you have a Dale guru do it for you. Right now parts are plentiful and dirt cheap. New piston kits with sleeves can be had for just over a hundred. Complete wiring harnesses are fairly cheap . Crank work goes for $120 to update the crank to around $400 for a rebuilt/stroker. Heck you can buy fully updated engines for about $1500 to $2000 .

If you want to try something else make sure its a big motor because a 250 would be one exotic dog of a quad.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:20 AM
MrP
Pro Rider

racer21- Do you mx this quad? If so, I dont think a cr250 would be that bad of a choice. Whatever you do decide to do good luck because it sounds like it would be alot of work.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer

MrP-both my dales are set up for MX, i have my race bike and my practice bike is the one im thinking about putting a different motor in. I still haven't made up my mind what i want to do yet.

WISTECH-where can you find these parts so cheap? I've talked with ATK and Haydug, ATK's starting price is $1200, and Haydugs was $450 just for tearing the motor apart. I think i could probly do the motor work myself, but someplaces dont even sell you do it yourself kits.

Old 06-29-2005, 03:34 AM
Pro Rider

Cheap parts- Ebay,Black Widow ,just ask on the cannondaleriders forums also.
What exactly do you need done?

Is you engine locked up? The last engine I did was for a friend of mine. A bolt backed out and broke the scavange pump gear. New oil pump gearset from black widow was $7 . Crank rebuilt locally with the z400 bearing (the rod was still good)$120. New rings($25) . Reused all old seals and orings except head seal and sidecover $25. Updated decompression mechanism with new stlye pivot $6. Sump magnets$2 Updated flywheel with screw kit of my own design$2 . Shimmed valve springs to spec $0 Stud update kit of my own design $10. Front engine bolt kit of my own design $5 Powdercoated valve cover Free. Total cost for parts $200. Labor was around 13 hours but I didnt charge for it because he was a friend.

Thats the cheapest Ive ever done because he was smart enough to update his engine before it failed. Now it has a chance to get a normal service life.

Now fixing an engine driven to destuction will cost much more. You still have not said what happened to yours. You never know till they get disassembled.
Id recommend Haydug cycles,R@S performance and ATK . I would say the cannondale is one of the easiest motors to work on but you should have engine building experience and print out a free copy of the service /parts manual to follow closely so as to do it right. If youve never built any engine in your life then send it away.

Id love to build everybodies engines but I can barely keep up with local projects and R@D .

Old 06-29-2005, 07:58 PM
Trailblazer

one of the cam bearing came apart and put shavings all over through the engine, so i have to tear the motor completely apart to check all the bearing. the shavings dont even look like they would be big enough to hurt anything but just to be on the safe side, and id like to get the crank updated and all the other little updates. other than the cam bearings and the shavings i havent found anything else. yep, i already have a service manual, i had to get one when i had to put a new sleeve in my other dale (it was ege shaped). ive rebuilt quite a few two-stroke motors but my dale is the first 4-stroke ive had apart.

Old 07-04-2005, 12:17 AM
Trailblazer

so basically getting the crank rebuilt and the z400 bearings added would make this motor as reliable as the atks or what other updates is there. (not forgetting i still need cam bearings)

Quick Reply: What motor will fit