KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

moded raptor vs. moded canondale???

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2001, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a place in McCall Idaho selling new fx400's for 5995. My Raptor deal 5995 isn't looking to good now, but I got it ten months ago. I rode w/ one on a track today. Are they better no. Are they worse no. My dad is 80 yrs old and has welded since he was 18. He said that aluminum can be done, but also added that a coupling should be added around the break for added strenght due to the high impact the frame is receiving. He said he could do it as easily as steel and you would barely be able to tell that the coupling shouldn't be there.

Old 08-26-2001, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

minehunter.... LOL
you have some serious problems yourself. I worked in USAF at dugway proving grounds as a radar op and tech. We trained the pilots and rated their aircraft. So we knew alot about there limitations. There was some things we were not able to do, such as track the Stealth, which uses a special reflective paint on top of many different Titanium parts. So when you said that "The only only aircraft that is heavy into titanium is the SR71. " You were wrong there are others that utilize Ti parts. OK Second mistake, you say... that anybody that knows aicratfs does "Do Not use steel rivets with aluminum". OK so sense you won't believe me I dug up an article to contradict your point... --->

"Many designers seem to like the "monel" (stainless steel type) rivets which are stronger, but they may forget that there is a corrosion problem involved with stainless steel. As mentioned in an earlier article, as the aluminum corrodes away, the aircraft owner has no choice but to replace the rivet with a larger diameter rivet later on. Or, if using stainless steel rivets, the builder has the messy burden of dipping every single rivet in zinc-chromate (ZnCr) primer before setting it in the hole and regradless of this many manufactures have been using steel rivets sense the production of the DC-3 including the military."

So before you start saying "So get a grip and learn before you write" I think you just named yourself as the number one hypocrate here.

Now 87r ...hehe your turn...
You said "Just because your stepdad can't weld it means no one can??? " first of all I didn't say my step dad couldn't weld aluminum, I did say however "He won't even touch aluminum. It's to tempermental" so ehhhh, strike one. Second of all you say "I read in one of your ealier posts that the C'dale frame was cast!?!? " well they hand weld ther frames yes partly, but how do you think the aluminum is made? by hand? no way, do they snap their fingers and it magically turns and every seam forms perfectly. nope. They make each part from a cast, and then take the preassembled pieces and weld them together and fasten the extra parts on. That last part is probably by hand. However, regardless of what they call it. The aluminum is still cast. strike two..
And the grand finally..hehe you say "stepdad is an idiot. Ever think of that? Sounds like it might run in the family." Well, let me think about that for a second, if he is a step dad then he is not real blood which means that biologically he could not pass his talents down to me, and I never lived with him. Anyways ..strike three...
And a little side note... you say "You lose your arguments (to people who actually KNOW something) " and how do you know that everybody in this room is legit? Let ,me guess the next thing you would probably tell me is that you met half the people in this forum in real life... Yeah right!! How do you know they aren't getting their info from somebody else? How do you know they didn't take their picture next to a professional bike at an event or in the dunes? You don't .... so to base your arguments on others is actually vary rediculous..

and ...Blodg500rx
stop telling people.."I doubt if you have been riding quads longer than I have since I started riding ATV's before quads even existed. I had a 1983 ATC250R 3-wheeler and my first brand new ATV was a 1986 200X 3-wheeler. I have owned a TRX250X, several TRX250R's, and you can see my current TRX250R with 500cc motor in the link in my signature. I almost bought a Cannon this spring but am waiting for the release of the moto version." You can no more prove this as anybody else is willing to believe their is an Elvis. For all I know your 12 years old, and wished you had your license. Pictures like I said above mean little for proof. SO Sparky stop thinking of the male school teacher in the pink bonnette or the postman or whatever it was you said... and above all don't be ...gay!

And like I said before untill Can has had a few years to prove the efficiency in their ATV's buying one is a big gamble. Lets just watch the ones coming back from the tripple jumps and dunes first. Aluminum is weaker than steel.... sorry!

Old 08-26-2001, 09:09 PM
Trailblazer

Extrusions and alluminum sheeting, are not castings.

Old 08-27-2001, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

screw you guys .....
I'm buying the TT model Can as sson as it comes out...
hehe..!

Old 08-28-2001, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

No screw you guys...
I'll just save up my money and buy a complete roll design or Lagear new 350 powervalve 250r like posted on the front page of this web site.... Then will see how far back the Can is hehe...

Old 08-28-2001, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

cctman you are one rich son of a b|tch!!! i envy you [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-28-2001, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

I think someone wants a cannondale. HMMMMMMM Man, lemme tell ya'll, it took a long @$$ time to read all that post.

BTW, my 01 XR 50 will SPANK everything mentioned here!

Old 09-02-2001, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]how can you add 17hp to a 4 stroke for $550 ? what mods were done to add 17hp for $550?

Old 09-02-2001, 03:49 PM
Range Rover

Minehunter,

Hey, I resent that remark about USAF Security Policemen![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] I was one at Luke AFB and do know that most of the planes (F-15 A,B,Es, F-16 A,B,C,Ds) I guarded were made of mostly aluminum with titanium used in the critical stress areas. I should know. I got an "incentive ride" in a B model F-15. There was a lot of times that we picked up F.O.D. that the "maintaince *******" left behind and not one of these parts we found were steel, but titanium (mostly fasteners). So yes, I do know that you don't use steel fasteners with aluminum. Some of my friends were in maintaince, and I had a keen interest in these planes. So much for the dumb SP theory..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-04-2001, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

AMEN, scottd. To each his own. No one is going to win this futile arguement.

Quick Reply: moded raptor vs. moded canondale???