KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Any news on a Cannondale open class sport ATV? 650cc+?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oooo, good one. I didn't think about that. Although it wasn't really Cannondale that "hired" Kory Ellis; he's sponsored by John Burr (A C-dale dealer). A good point though.

Old 01-16-2002, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

Regardless of who is racing the C'dale's, you have to be impressed with a second place finish in the first race of the year!! What great pub for C'dale. I can't believe there isn't anything yet on their web site!

Old 01-16-2002, 12:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<< Well, first of all, it wasn’t about the money. >>

BOLD FACE LIE. He did'nt like the view at the top? RC Definately has a different view right now.
No, pro atv racers don't make squat. Sponsors reap the benefits and these guys pretty much do it for the love of the sport. WHich means we could easily have the Michael Jordon / Tiger Woods of ATVING out there taking an order for joe-blo's french fries or behind a desk crunching numbers.

Old 01-16-2002, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

I have a few comments about the original thread.

1. The Cannondale already has more power than a Raptor or a Bombardier so the fact that it's not a &quot;big bore&quot; seems irrelavent. Is it just me or do the manufacturers sell you a 650 or 660 so you can say you have one not so you can actually enjoy the power? If they did you would have a quad that did about 100 mph or more like the street bikes some of these motors come from.

2. I also read that the stock Cannondales took quite a few holeshots from the 250r's and other quads they just couldn't hang in the corners because they didn't have the aftermarket a-arms and axles to allow them to corner as fast.

3. I've also noticed that at our 3 local mx tracks the big bores don't do well it's all Banshees, 250r's, 440ex's, and the occasional LT250r that win the races. I would rather see a high reving, high compression, lighter engine that gets to it's max rpms quicker than a big engine that's tuned way down and makes the quad heavier. Who cares how many cc's you have as long as it's fast?

4. For someone who is large I can see them enjoying the physical size of a Bombardier or the tall seat hieght of a Raptor but these are just physical dimensions of the bike. I would rather put a higher hp lighter engine in them to increase acceleration and handling.

Just my 2 cents hope it makes some sense to someone other than me!

DD

Old 01-16-2002, 03:37 PM
MrP
Pro Rider

Kory Ellis still has his yz426. He sold his R's. He is going to carry both the C-dale and the yz426 to the Nationals this year.

Old 01-16-2002, 08:04 PM
Trailblazer

To DD
I agree.
At our flat track though a heavily modified raptor won the season, and soundly beat a 330 r campaigned by Sue Parker in the last race. The same day, Sue' 330r beat all the other &quot;r's&quot; out there, including two other 330's. It took him most of the year to get it hooked up to use the power. He is claiming 72 hp but admits it's only a theoretical # based on what everyone told him these mods would add to the engine. Up until then sue's 330 r was pretty much the fasted bike, with the exception of one 426/walsh that showed up one day.

However at a different track in early October this same Raptor got cleaned by a 300 ex prepared by Tom Carlson. I did not see the race, but the Raptor owner described a 4 stroke that &quot;revved like a two stroke&quot; and blew everyone off the track. Supposedly this was an extreme modification. A 550 cc engine according to TC.

This does not reflect reality for mx racing, but flat track is often a better measure of pure horsepower than mx. Though not always.

Old 01-16-2002, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

A 300ex?!?!?!?! You know he had to put A LOOOOOOOOTTTTTT of money into that or atleast a lot of money compared to what I have. I would love to see that 300ex. I bet the quad costed him more than my yearly income... wait a minute... my stock C-dale costed me more than my yearly income, LOL. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-17-2002, 02:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yo Daddy: Yes a 300 ex. Story from TC was that the guy had a lot of buddies riding pumped up 250X/350X quads in flat track and he went to Tom and said build me a bike that will smoke them, money not an issue (must be nice)- as the story goes. Next part of the story was that he stored it in a buddies barn which burned down shortly after he smoked that hot Raptor and everybody else. Go figure.

Also saw a TC 250X TT bike with a 410 kit up north of Albany (supposed to be a modified 250X case and bottom end married to a 300ex cylinder). Owner claims its a bike he bought from Travis spader who won three GNCC events with same (TT around '98/99). Spader sold it after chasing yzf's 426's unsuccessfully in 2000. Still shows what some ingenuity can do with a mid size 4 stroke. Sucker wouldn't work to well in MX however as owner could only pop start it.