KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Difference between early Cannibal and Speed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I forgot to answer your question regarding being able to see a difference in performance between the older fuel injection and the new. I would have to say the new aftermarket system is definitely better performance wise. But more importantly, it should be 100% more reliable. That was the problem I had on my FX400, it got to the point where it would not hardly start, then if you could start it, it would not idle. My local dealer was no help whatsoever. But Cannondale stepped up to the plate and exchanged it with the new Cannibal along with some "extras". So far so good, so much so that I just sold my 2001 Raptor, I figured I would never ride it again so it's now gone.

Old 01-08-2002, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

<< Why would the dealer send it back to Cannondale? That sounds kind of strange?? Maybe they just threw that out to put some pressure on you to make a decision. I would get the serial number off the bike, that way you could tell how long it's been at the dealer. Mine is #498, it was acquired on 10/16/01. >>

Apparently this is a new Cannondale dealer that decided not to continue selling them. They said they got one quad in and had alot of people looking at it but couldn't sell it so they are sending it back and will no longer sell Cannondales. That's the one thing that scares me a little, there are no dealers close to me. There are several 100 to 150 miles away, this one is just outside of DC, which is about 125 miles, but I go there on business on a regular basis.

Old 01-08-2002, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

JayBR, AS bad as I hate to say it I would find another dealer. That is unless you are planning to do all the work on it yourself if something goes wrong. You could always take it to another dealer but I would want to buy from a dealership that I had planned on letting do any neccessary work on it. If they have never sold one to anybody plus sending the one that they have ever got back, do you realy want to let them work on it. Maybe you know the Mechanic or something if so then it would probably be o.k. I know how you feel about driving out of your way. For most people right now in order to get a C-Dale thats the way it seems to be. I for one drive almost three hours to my dealer( although there is one a wee bit closer I think but I dont think I would go to them if they were only 30min. away, anyway thats another topic). A good dealership will make your purchase more enjoyable as mine has for me, even if they are out of the way. Well good luck what ever you decide. By the way about your question on the Cannibal computer. You are right it can be adjusted but no maps stored in the computer.

Old 01-08-2002, 08:13 PM
Trailblazer

Guys,

The FX400 or Cannibal always had 10,600 rev limiter from day one. The speed has 11,600 rev limiter. The old MC500 ECU is non-programmable. You can do &quot;digital jetting&quot; with it, but you cannot change ignition timing or any of the other parameters. You didn't even need a computer for the MC500 just an electronic box called a &quot;MIL tool&quot; that you can buy from cannondale.

Old 01-09-2002, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

i have a local dealer about 20 miles away that sells cannondale from me. like one of the guys said above. as much as it hurts to say it i wouldnt buy it if you dindt have a dealer near you that you trust to do warrenties (heck my local dealers each screwed up on my 250R once and a started wrenching everything myself and check everything before i leave). but anyways i want to buy a cannibal and started talking with the dealer the usual BS and he started to tell me how a guy brought one back to him because they are too fast,so i said did he bring this one back? he said no, then i said whys it all black marked up from like boots and shoes, he said because everyone sits on them and he would polish it up if i buy it. so i checked it out some more, on top of the exhaust was sand and dirt,also under the plastic so i told my wife to look and just lauged, some how i think he is trying to pull the used bike off as new so that was his first strike with me. but if i buy one i will have one crated in to him brand new and wait for it. he is relativly new dealership so i dont know how there wrenching is so that stinks. i really dont know how to wrench fule injection if i have to and i dont think theres a clymer out yet for them that stinks to. i really want a cannibal like yourself but dont know if i trust the dealership so may go another way. i would like to see honda produce a 450 but im not into waiting beyond spring. my 3 choices are cannibal,honda 400ex,raptor. but i plan on going back to my dealer and bombared him with questions about the shop.

Old 01-09-2002, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

Please allow me to comment on your last statement regarding the 3 quads you are thinking about purchasing. I just sold my 2001 Raptor, between the Cannibal and the Raptor, there is absolutely no comparison to handling/jumping/performance. The Raptor is top heavy and it feels that way to when you are riding it. It's not a good jumper at all and it's lacking in power unless you rejet, modify the airbox and put an aftermarket silencer on it. But you still have all the handling problems with it, so change to a wider axle, wider a-arms, shocks and now you're into the bike for $9000 +, and you still have a 400 lb gorilla on your hands.

400EX, great handling bike, jumps good, doesn't weigh too much but has major performance drawbacks as in lack of power. Also air cooled!! Come on Honda, still air cooled!! But these bikes are priced pretty decent.

Cannibal - well here you have the best of both worlds, you have a fairly lightweight quad, handles great, has plenty of power, already has numerous aftermarket quality pieces on it such as Ohlin shocks, aluminum frame, aftermarket electronic fuel injection, holeshots, ITP's. But, it is a pain in the *** to work on!!! But, best of all, it's made in USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just my 2 cents worth!!

Old 01-09-2002, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

Briansgi, I've heard a lot of people argue about the fact that Cannondale already has aftermarket parts on it and others saying it's not aftermarket if it was put there by the manufacturer. I think when you said &quot;aftermarket quality parts&quot; that is prolly the best way to describe it. It deffinitely is a pain to work on and the ITP wheels arent that great. I preffer the rolled edge wheels a lot more too. My wheels already have a big dent (I guess a friend of mine hit a stump or somethin) and I am kinda S.O.L. right now. I'm gonna buy some Douglas Red Label wheels and then buy the reinforcement rings to weld on there. Do yall think that will work pretty good? I can't afford the bead locks so I really don't have to many options.

Old 01-09-2002, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

this is to brainsgi.
you dont have to sell me on a cannibal i want one [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] but if my local dealer cant wrench good what good is that to me for warrenties? heck i took my car in for an oil leak from the vavle cover because its still under warrenty,a month later i noticed the never put 2 bolts back in the cover i hate that crap!
i dont know anyone who owns a raptor but thanks for the tips on jumping. im a closet freestyler heheh and thats all im buying a quad for and if the raptor isnt up to it then it's out of the list. all the right ups on the raptor say there decent jumpers but best in the dunes which i live no where near. dont get me wrong guys im not jumping like in the tapes not even close hehehe just for fun.
the new heavos4 had alot of ex's freesyling so thats my other option. i am hoping to just buy some works shock and widing it then go have fun [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
like i said with my luck i will buy a quad and honda will intrduce the watercooled 450 the day after hehehe but hopefully i can swing a cannibal money wise and my dealer isnt that bad but he does have one strike against him because i hate BS'ers just to sell a bike. when i go into a shop i already did research on the quad i want im there to test the salesman to see if he is honest.

Old 01-09-2002, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

I would get the Cannibal. Just because they like to BS inorder to sell a quad doesn't mean they don't fix the quads right. Also, I know it is good to have a good shop close by incase something does happen, but how often do you really have to take your quad to the shop. I had my old 300ex for a little over a year and honestly I didn't do **** for maintanence (kind of a ride and forget type deal) and never took it to the shop for repairs once. Before I learned how to take care of the things I own I was rough on the little 300. I drowned it out, flooded it, flipped it, raced it, changed the oil every million hours, rode it wide @ss open on the highways for a few miles, didn't break it in when I got it,and when I would start it up I would just give it hell without letting it warm up, every jump I had were flat landers and one of my shocks ended breakin on the track the first lap of practice on the second jump [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] , I rode it after partys when I wasn't exactly &quot;fit to ride&quot;, and was just over all rough on it but I dont feel like listing everything else... thanx a lot for bringin those memories back guys, now I feel guilty for abusin that little quad [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I don't do that to my dale now if any of you were wondering. I take care of my stuff now.

Old 01-09-2002, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

yodaddy it does make since...usually all the bike needs is a vavle adjustment unless you own a raptor hehehe just kiddin guys. the valve adjustment i could do myself. im not into working on tranny and crank everything else i can handle with a clymer.

Quick Reply: Difference between early Cannibal and Speed?