KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

'03 Models?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002, 09:52 PM
The Facility
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a reason you don't see as much of the R's on the track on the net as much these days....they are dieing.

The 250R's that still appear at the races on the pro level are the 20 grand machines and most of those guys are now headed to the Hi-tech four strokes.

Those 20 grand machines are slowly becoming worth as much as a wore out Banshee. It's already happened in most parts of the country and when you count the fact that Honda finally put the R parts in "obsolete" categopry, there aren't going to be much you can do when your trans. goes or when your cases bust beyond a welding. Honda has left thew R out of this program since 1999 due to overwhelming sales of replacement parts, but even they see the next trend. [That or they simply want to MAKE the trend]

Old 04-25-2002, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

I would never knock an r.

From my racing experance down south they divide the classes into two.
Theres the 2-stroke class,and a 4-stroke class.Usually only 2 or 3 2-strokes and atleast 7 or more 4-strokes.

Thats why I got into 4-strokes because lack of compitition in the 2-stroke class.

Old 04-26-2002, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

I am still considering the R. My local track ran classes set-up kinda like a "run what ya brung" thing previously, which I think sucks but like I said awhile go in this thread, the second closest track is some 200 miles away. I'm going to call my Uncle tommorow and see what he thinks of the C-Dale idea and the R idea. Etiher way, I'll be very happy with which ever quad because 2 years of nothing to ride really sucks!(well I rode my ATC from Sep. to Dec.)

Old 04-26-2002, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

Tell ya what, with the Suzuki comming in around 5600 you should look at it, I almost got one, or atleast put my name on the list to get one. Slight mods and youll be smoking! Plus reverse nad liquid cooling and an aluminum swingarm. Very possible man. what about rescueing Corndogs Cannibal, I bet you could buy it for 5000 cash. Just ideas. This is the fun part, trying to decide what to buy.

Old 04-26-2002, 12:34 PM
MrP
Pro Rider

KNOWSALOT- At the National level 250r quads are far from being dead or dieing (pro or amateur level).

ltracerx- I would buy a 250r or 400ex already set up for MX.

Old 04-26-2002, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

If I could see corny's Cannibal first, that would be an idea! But, he has probably trashed so much stuff it's not worth 2 dollars. Not to mention, with everyone on this board disliking him so much, if he sold it to someone on here he would probably do somethig to it to "get me back". The Suzuki, there's an idea, but I still have to get some mods that will put me right around $6000, and thats still pretty expensive. I'm just going to wait and see how much money I make over the summer, then make my decision from there.

Old 04-26-2002, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

ltracer, I've seen you on here for a long time and even though you are young I have the upmost respect for you. I say that to give you some advice. I too and I'm sure alot of rider when they where young dreamed of racing and maybe making a career out of it. But the truth is that your are only 16.

If your finance a $6000 machine say for 5 years at 12% (for someone your age it will be higher if you get it at all) you will be paying almost $10,000 by the time you are done. What problaby going to happen is you will work your min. wage job, and you will pay the month bill. Then you will start dating, the quad will no longer be the center of your attention. Then you will start to hate your job, but you can't quit because you have to make the payments. Finally you graduate high school and have to hold off on going to college because you don't have money because is going to the quad payments.

Now that is the good scenerio, the bad one is that you get bored with it or find a girlfriend or get fired and stop making the payments and ruin you and your uncles credit for the next 7 years.

I think at your age the ONLY thing to do is save up money and buy a used bike. You are too young to get into a $6000+ debt over a toy, and lets face it, a quad is a toy.

I myself have been through all of this and only now at the age of 34 am I out from under the rock. Debt is not a good way to start your adult life.

As far as the used bike, you don't have to look hard. I picked up an 86 250r about a year and a half ago for $3000. I found a bunch at that price actually. I estimate that I have spent a good $1000 on it. The bike is flawless now. I don't have ohins but it kicks on the track and jaws drop everywhere I take it.

I'm sorry this is so long winded but the moral of the story is that there is more to life the ATVs, like getting a good education. Go to school get an education and then you could get all the quads you want. Good luck!

Old 04-27-2002, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

He has some valid points, once you have debt on your record you are scared for a very long time.

Old 04-27-2002, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

excelent advice, I wasn't thinking that far in advamce.

Get the 250R, girlfriends, ex-wives, wives and most important college is more expensive than quads. But with the education you can get a better paying job that will allow you to have all the above. I don't recommend the ex-wife though.

In the real world try to pay cash for everything, you'll sleep better at night.

Smitty