KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Perspective Cannondale buyer with questions....

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 10:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 29, have been riding all my life. An RM80, KX80s, then a Blaster and now a 250R and Tecate 4. I'm thinking of adding a 4 stroke to my squad and I've thought about the new Kawi 400...if it ever gets here or a Cannondale. I see a lot of FX400s for sale. What problems did they have? are the worth the used $5-6000 price tag? What major changes were made to the Speed from the FX400? I heard they had reliabilty problems...normal with 1st year models. Any word on when the 2003 line up is due out? big price increases? If the FX400 has too much bagage and headaches, I'd rather look into a new one.

Be honest, guys.

Thanks!

Old 05-31-2002, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

Reliability was never the issue. It had to due mostly with the handeling of the machine and some of the Hardware/Software combinations.

The Hardware and software have been upgraded to the Segam 1000. This allows for better control of all the operating parameters that are controled and monitores.

The handeling has been upgraded with several different things.

To view the upgrades go to Cannondale.com, Motor sports, service bullitins and that will give you an idea that they are at least FIXING any Issues.

Based on what I know now and the products on the market. I would buy the speed over ever other offering. I can afford any of the bikes, so money is not an issue.

Hope that helps.

Smitty

Old 05-31-2002, 11:23 PM
Trailblazer

money's not the much of an issue for me either but I do hesitate about putting 8 grand into a new Speed. That's why I wonder about the FX400 as a used option since it's the predessesor to the Speed and not Cannibal like most people think. Without digging up the info, do you know what major changes were made to the Speed? are the Ohlins on the FX too? Is the chassis altered? How expensive are these software issues you speak of to fix? If it's a lot, may as well go with the speed and save the trouble...

Old 05-31-2002, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

Olins where on the first FX. Depends on the one your looking at.

The Frame is the same on all the quads.

The software has been updated and is avalible free from the dealer.

The handling has been improved with lots of little thing, ball joints, position, and a few others.

I like the FX plastic color better than my Speed. If you can get a refurbised Cannobal from your dealer that my be the best ticket.

Later

Smitty

Old 05-31-2002, 11:47 PM
The Facility

The early Cannibals are the best Cannondale quad if you are looking at spending less than 6 grand for a quad.

They are all re-furbished, but most of the refurbished models were actually never sold when they were FX models. The one that I ride falls into that category. It was still in the crate when it was sent to Cannondale for the numerous updates. It came back as a Cannibal. Still had the "FX400" logo on the seat.

The frames are the same, but the older ones do not have holes pre-drilled to accept nerf bars. You will have to drill them [a very large bit] or cut off the nerf bar.

The biggest difference is the computers, but nothing there has anything to do with "real world" performance unless you need the extra 1000 RPM available with the EC1000 version. The Speed,Blaze, and Moto all have the EC1000.

Since I didn't want to upgrade to the 1000 series [I race woods, so I don't need the extra RPM] we had done alot of testing with the EC500 and have found that it is just as tunable as the 1000 version in most aspects.

I think CornDog was mostly to blame on the mis-information regarding the EC500.

Good luck in your decision.

Old 06-01-2002, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I think I know what you about the refurbs...maybe. I was at the Cdale dealer in my town and he was pushing me toward a cannibal that had Ohlins. He said it was a factory mistake but the price would still be 7 grand...free ohlins! The extra power and better suspension matter to me. That's why I'm not too interested in the Cannibal. I've had 2 strokes all my life and love my 250s and the strong surge of white knuckle power and light, nimble handling they deliver so I'm not cutting corners. So a Speed will noticeably outperform an FX400? I thought the power was the same. My brochure says aboutthe Speed: "The successor to our FX400, up-spec'd for 2002 with GP Control fuel-injection technology and many other improvements."

That's vague. So there's many little things like ball joints and tie-rods which I read were suspect on the FX and early Cannibal models. But what is GP Control F.I.?? I assume the Cannibal and FX don't have it, then? What kind of difference does it make?? I see also the rev limiter on the Speed is at 11,600 as opposed to 10,600 on the cannibal. Is that significant? on 2 strokes it kinda is. I also see "moto mapping" on some used models. I'm assuming that's remapping the FI to match the Moto's, right? expensive to do? reliable to do? Can you do it on the FX? where do you feel the increase in power?

Sorry I have so many questions. I'm just being thorough and the salesmen at the dealers are just: "yeah, yeah. you got it. uh huh, yup (blank stare) no problem. yeah you can do that." blablabla. anything for the sale!

Old 06-01-2002, 02:44 AM
Pro Rider

But what is GP Control F.I.?? It the new software and ECU

I assume the Cannibal and FX don't have it, then? If it's a 1000 ECU it will. If the starter button is a little green one it's the 1000 if it's a big green one about 1" it's the 500.

What kind of difference does it make?? the only differance is the 500 will have a 1,000 lower rev limit.

I see also the rev limiter on the Speed is at 11,600 as opposed to 10,600 on the cannibal. Is that significant? Depends on how you ride, some yes, most no. Do you Race???

I also see "moto mapping" on some used models. I'm assuming that's remapping the FI to match the Moto's, right? YES

expensive to do? No, some dealers it's free others charge

reliable to do? Yes, it's a stock map for the moto.

Can you do it on the FX? YES

where do you feel the increase in power? Bottom and Mid

Hope that helps. Ask all you want someone will answer you and someone else will correct those answers.LOL

Smitty

PS most of the refurbs where being sold for around $5,000.

Old 06-01-2002, 06:01 AM
Trailblazer

hey meaniegreenie

Where do you live? I can hook you up with an fx400 if you live any where near arkansas.

Old 06-01-2002, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm in PA.

Old 06-01-2002, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

Is it true that Cannondale will replace any FX400 with a Cannibal? That is what a dealer told me recently.

If you are thinking about a Cannibal then maybe find a FX400 real cheap and then go get yourself a new Cannibal.

/NotuRaptor

Quick Reply: Perspective Cannondale buyer with questions....