KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Moto440 vs modified Speed440

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 11:59 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im planning on building myself a c-dale but I still cannot decide if I should buy a Moto440 or a Speed440....If I buy a moto Ill put Hiper carbon wheels and modify the engine by trinity...if I buy a speed Ill put Leager pro-trax front end and swingarm,AC nerfs,pro-design kill,lonestar axle,PEP zps shocks...so I know you would say: Its evident go with the moto!!...but I tought about it and if I go leager with the speed Ill have more suspension travel...better shocks....stronger swingarm and axles etc......
So what do you think I should do????
And is leager pro-trax getting longer travel or it doesnt change??

Old 06-26-2002, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

If you were thinking about not getting a Moto, but ending up with a MX quad, why the Speed instead of the Cannibal?

You'd likely be replacing most of the advantages you get with the Speed anyhow - wheels, tires, shocks, etc...

It's all going to boil down to what you're looking for. If you want to leave it alone and race it, go with the Moto.

If you want a quad with a bunch of custom parts you select and install yourself, go with a Cannibal (in my opinion) and buy the aftermarket stuff.

Old 06-26-2002, 12:54 PM
Trailblazer

was going speed because of the look...I personally think the cannibal is ugly....and do you know for my suspension travel question??will I have more with Pro-Trax??or doesnt change???

Old 06-26-2002, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

The only appearance differences between the Speed and Cannibal are the color of the plastic, the seat cover, and the handlebars. For the $1000 price difference you could easily replace all those items with ones of your choosing.

Another thing is that the '03 Cannibals will be different colors. Black or silver if I'm thinking right.

Not trying to talk you out of a Speed, but if you are going to replace the parts & plan on building a custom machine anyhow, I don't see the sense in spending the extra $1000 dollars.

As far as the Pro-trax goes, I assume it would increase travel beyond a typical +2 setup, but have no hard data. I do know that people I've talked to with experience say it requires a lot more attention than a conventional control arm setup. Another thing to keep in mind is that on my 400EX, the tie rods are the limiting factor, not the ball joints. Not sure if the Pro-Trax addresses this issue.

Old 06-26-2002, 01:42 PM
Trailblazer

Pro-trax front ends use heim-ends for the tie rod ends. Personally, if I do one, it will probably be a cannibal with Axis or Elkas long travel front end. Maybe even Trinity exhaust and mapping.

Old 06-26-2002, 04:29 PM
Trailblazer

Think Ill go with the moto since its loaded with lots of great stuff so its a great value and I tought about it...pro racer long travel 250r have 11inches travel up front and 10 at the rear....exactly like the moto...the only thing Ill buy are Hiper wheels and some little trick things....

Old 06-26-2002, 05:35 PM
Trailblazer

Yes, they have the same travel, but the moto has 16" shocks and the pro-trax have 19" shocks. There is no more TRAVEL, just more shock body to hold more fluid to keep the shocks from fading.

Old 06-26-2002, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Gabe, if you're going to build a MX quad with specific parts than you might as well buy the Cannibal since it comes with the same frame, engine and computer (except for a mapping difference) of the Moto. I'm going with a Moto for the simple fact that my wife doesn't like seeing new quad parts on every months credit card statement. The Moto is jump on, start it and go racing package. While the stock Moto pieces aren't up to Walsh spec they are good enough for me, Joe Weekend Racer. I don't race for points. I hit the practice sessions and that's it but I may start entering some races now that I've got a quad with a chassis that will endure the MX track.

Old 06-26-2002, 06:07 PM
Trailblazer

yeah but have you seen theres lots of pros out there going with stock moto....take an example..Nacs racing...so Ill buy the moto + hiper wheels maybe and some trick things like a stator cover...plus Ill have full back up and warranty from c-dale if I have problems....and c-dale have VERY great service has what I heard...the only thing that itch me from a dale is that I live in quebec and there is no manufacturers there....damn it!