KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

I'm confused... I need some help with a wheel issue. PLEASE HELP ME OUT!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got some new 18x9.5x8 Turf Tamers mounted on Douglas .190's that I bought from Rocky Mountain ATV. When I mounted them on the Dale, it made the rear end look really narrow.

I measured the wheels from the hub to the inside edge of the wheel and the stock wheels and the Douglas wheels both measured at about 3.5 inches, but from the hub to the outside edge of the wheel, the ITP's measured at 7.5 inches while the Douglas measured at 6.5 inches. So I guess the Douglas wheels are just narrower but MXracer98 tells me that the wheels are the wrong off set. What do you guys think? I'm just trying to get some 2nd opinions.

Old 07-12-2002, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, those are the stock Honda offset rims....you need the Cannondale ones.

Old 07-12-2002, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

It sounds like the Douglas wheels you got are just the standard Honda offset which are definitely a different offset than our stock ITP C'dale rims. I removed the stock Honda wheels/tires from my son's R and put on a complete of C'dale wheels/tires and it made a huge difference in the width on the front and also rear on his R. Seems like if I remember correctly it widened his R both front and rear by at least 2". I know rockymountain doesn't give you a choice on the offset on their douglas wheels but maybe someone else does. I went to douglas web site but it's useless trying to get any info other than requesting a catalog from them.

Old 07-12-2002, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

Would it really make any difference? The stock wheels are 9x9 and these are 8x8. The distance from the hub to the inside edge of the wheels is the same on the Douglas and ITP's but the Douglas wheels are an inch narrower (8x8 <-- Douglas, 9x9 <-- stock ITP) so the total width is like 2 inches narrower than what it was... wouldn't it make sence for it to be like that?

Old 07-12-2002, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

Also, I mounted my ITP's w/ holeshots on a friends 400ex and it made no difference at all. Maybe 1/4 an inch on each side but that could just be the difference in tires. Either way, 1/4 inch on each side would only make a 1/2 inch difference which isn't worth a rats ***.

Old 07-12-2002, 03:38 AM
The Facility

You're right yodaddy,

The problem is that the wheel is an 8x8.

It has nothing to do with the offset.

8" wheels have a 3+5 offset.

9" wheels have a 3+6 offset.

This applies to Dougals AND ITP brands. Noone makes a 2+6 wheel for obvious reasons.

That's why you are two inches narrower.

ITP does offer a 8x8.5 wheel that has a 3+5.5 offset, but that's only going to give you an inch total extra width.

Old 07-12-2002, 04:15 AM
Pro Rider

i just put a set of douglass 190's on my warrior last week. the best price i found on the web was at carbides moto world. the fronts are 10 x 5 with the wide offset which i paid $ 46.99 each and the backs are 9 x 9 and i paid $ 44.99 each for them. i didnt measure the offset on the back ones but you can definately see my quad is wider in the rear than with the stock rims. why did you go with the 8" rim, if your racing mx its better to go with a taller rim which makes for less tire side wall which makes for less flex in the turns .

Mark

Old 07-12-2002, 04:38 AM
The Facility

Probally because there isn't a choice.

18" TurfTamers are not available for 9" wheels.

Pro riders actually want the little bit of sidewall flex and the extra comfort that the 9" wheel doesn't have. Every racer on the pro level runs 8" wheels with the exception of a few guys who run the 18" HoleshotMX series on the 9" wheels. The 9" wheels with 18" tall tires slide more rather than grabbing traction.

I think it's a choice that comes down to rider preference, but it seems that the majority want the 8"

Craig Peterson's intro of the 18" tire for 9" wheels was aimed at the budget racer who couldn't afford to buy a whole tire/wheel combo, so that the tire alone would work on the size wheel that every sport ATV, but the Blaster, comes with stock. Those were his own words at the dealer expo in Indy two years ago.

Old 07-12-2002, 04:45 AM
Pro Rider

i just learned that i didnt know as much as i thought i knew. thanks for straightening me out.

Mark

Old 07-12-2002, 04:54 AM
The Facility

Hey, I knew that one quickly just because i get asked about it every day.

ITP's choice to build a 18" tire for a 9" wheel has really paid off. I sell alot of them to recreational riders who don't experience mud or rutted trails.They love them. I have also got a few guys locally who race motocross with them and they have no complaints.

Quick Reply: I'm confused... I need some help with a wheel issue. PLEASE HELP ME OUT!