KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Cannondale X-440 "03" Bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 09:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't get mad at me for talking about the 03 model Cannondale X-440, but you are going to be completely impressed when you get to chance to see a pro rider on one. Last Saturday night Chase ran the 250 novice and open novice and got the holeshot by 3 to 4 lengths each moto taking off in third gear. This bike has so much power it is scary for most riders including myself. I have talked to Cannondale to see if this same setup will be on Quads and I am not being told anything as of yet. Chase had only riden the bike for about an hour and has never raced a 4-stroke or for that matter the 250 class. He did awsome for a sixteen year old 125 "C" rider. He told me that there was no way to use all the power it has. As a Cannondale man this was music to my ears. I hope that the quads will have the same setup thats on the X-440.

I will let everyone know as soon as I do!!!

DON'T FORGET ABOUT FERNWOOD SEPTEMBER 14 (class for 50cc to open $$$)

Old 08-08-2002, 12:38 AM
The Facility

ezride,

The engines are modular. Built on the same line with the same parts. The only exception is the E440 with the Rev-Loc clutch.

There is no difference between the engines on the quads and the ones that come on the dirtbikes. Only the ECU, ECU mapping and exhaust tuning are different. They even carry the same throttle body for 2003.

The Cannondale dirtbikes are nice indeed, but the power isn't the issue. It's the weight and where that weight is ballanced in the frame. That's why they are a tough sale to the motocross crowd. They simply do not handle like a CRF or YZF.....and you can now add the KTM450 to that list.

The weight isn't that big of a deal to the woods racer guys though. The E440 continues to be Cannondale's biggest seller in the dirtbike category.

Old 08-08-2002, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

Patrick,

Over at thumper talks alot of the guys are winning MX races on their Cannondales and loving it. They are beating the CRF and YZ and the KTM520 getting holeshots on all of them. Bugman over there is killing the compitition on his as well as a few others. They do mention the weight but because it is so low in the frame they said it feels lighter.

Just what I've read over there.

Smitty

Old 08-08-2002, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

On a bike, it's not the weight itself that's necessarily the most important factor - it's where the weight is at.

On a Cannondale you sit on the fuel, fuel accounts for a large portion of the "High CG" weight on a bike. If you talk to most anyone that rides or races a CD bike, they'll note how much lighter it "Feels" than the competition.

Yes overall weight is more than the other MX bikes because of the battery, ECM, Fuel pump, and starter, but it has a very good deal of it's weight being carried low.

As for the X440 engine (note the lack of the trailing "s&quot, from what I'm hearing, it's not the same. I've heard lots of comments about this bike's power (up and above the other Cannodale bikes). I believe there is a camshaft change as well as some other changes. Time will tell.

Old 08-08-2002, 03:00 PM
The Facility

Parts manuals will tell you faster than time will, as well as word of mouth from the Cannondale rep.

Same engines across the board.

Old 08-08-2002, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

I believe the different cams came from the mouth of a Cannondale Rep., but I'd have to check to be sure.

You know as well as the rest of us, with Cannondale - as soon as a parts manual is available, it's outdated.

I've heard comments from various riders the new 03 X440 that are just making it to dealers have something different going on with them.

Here's even a couple quotes from CD's website:

"the X440 is built around our radically revamped 432cc, dual overhead cam engine"

"new low and mid-range high-performance response"

Word is 5-9 HP increase, although that seems a little liberal.

Old 08-08-2002, 04:55 PM
The Facility

Gabe,

Whether they changed the cams, etc. is something that everyone seems to have a different opinion or fact on.

However, It appears there is one fact that we do all agree on...You are right....the parts manuals ARE outdated by the time you get them.

If I remember correctly, I received 5 different parts manuals for the FX400 last year. The probel still? No serial number breaks that go into detail as to which part applies to which quad. The manuals only give the info on the current model variation.

Which reminds me......

Have you heard any more info on the wheels that were supposed to be on the new standard Cannibals??

When we placed our order for 2003 models a couple of months ago, our Rep told us that the LE models would still get the aluminum wheels, but the "standard" black Cannibal and silver Cannibal would get steel wheels and a cheaper brand tires similar to the Holeshot tread pattern.

We have already gotten the LE models, black models, and the silver models....and all STILL have the same aluminum wheels and Holeshot tires.

Are they planning a year model break somewhere to implement this change?? The last time I talked to my Rep, he hadn't heard anything about it except when they told him about the "supposed" change over 4 months ago. He said he would get back with me.....but we know how that goes.

Old 08-08-2002, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

I heard the same as you - the new ones were supposed to have the steel wheels and cheaper tires.

I've seen where other dealers have gotten them the same way you have.

Parts manuals, cams, x440, etc - that's why I said time will tell [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Word in the field is there is definitely a difference, even over piped bikes.

Personally, I hope it's refinements in the mappings (or at least, interchangable parts, like cams) - then it would benefit all us previous gen owners.

On another note, do you guys have access to ProCal? If not, shoot me a PM or email - I have something you may be interested in - even if you do, you may still be interested in what I got.

Old 08-08-2002, 05:42 PM
The Facility

Gabe,

I will let our Cannondale computer guru, know. If he doesn't have it I will holler back at ya. I pretty much stay out of the electrical and mapping end of it........unless it's for my quad. I am more of an observer on this subject.

Old 08-08-2002, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

ALright '86,

It's time to fess up what you are up too. Over at Thumpertalk you said "all in due time", is it that do time yet? LOL

I did receive your pm on the stuff we talked of over at Thumpertalk. It is a cool converter.... N'uff said

P.S. I have a sneakin' suspicion as to what you're up to but that is speculation. Keep us posted when you get another 20 HP out of these things. LOL

Quick Reply: Cannondale X-440 "03" Bike