KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Cannondale assessment

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 02:01 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoy reading these forums and appreciate all the good info (mostly) that flows here. I've learned a lot from what has happened to others then posting about it.

Basically here's the deal: Sometime early next year I'm hoping to buy a new performance quad. I currently ride a Scrambler 500 on the Oregon Dunes (about 5 miles from where I live). I almost exclusively ride in the dunes and will be seriously looking at the Cannondale Speed to buy. Will it be OK for the sand? From everything I've read, it appears to be but it's always better to get it straight from those who have experienced it.

Also: I've ridden other machines here--Raptor: great torque and a lot of fun but not impressed w/ the handling and the Banshee: the 2-stroke powerband is instantly addicting and an absolutely awesome sand machine. The problem with it is the 2-strokes will probably become over-regulated and c'mon Yamaha, make at least one or 2 modifications (bigger fuel tank, better throttle feel and control) since 1987 willya?

I respect the bold step Cannondale has taken here w/ fuel injection. That's where the future of performance quads is and C'dale is already there. Basically what do you Speed riders beat when racing? Modded Raptors, Bombardiers, Banshees? Who beats you? Are the ones you beat bone stock and you have mods or both have mods?

Sorry for my rambling here but it boils down to I want to know how much you like your machines and how fast are they and do they perform in the sand.

Thanks and GO DUCKS!

Old 08-20-2002, 02:38 AM
Pro Rider

My Speed has a HMF slip on pipe and Trinity map, I beat my buds modded DS650 up comp hill easily, my buddys modded Banshee he beats me. I still like the over all FEEL of my quad over theirs. The DS is to big for me, and I don't like the FEEL of the Banshee, Like the power though. The Cannons can keep up will all but the big boys.

Smitty

Old 08-20-2002, 08:03 AM
Pro Rider

I think you would be happy with the speed, but if I was I would look into the Glamis cannondale model since it will come with the dunes tires on it. From want I've heard it'll be a speed that comes ready for dune riding. Just an idea.

Old 08-20-2002, 09:57 AM
Trailblazer

First off, you lucky sonofagun! I wish I lived 5 minutes from Horsefall! I assume you've been to the dealership in Florence. A Speed will (stock for stock, mind you) beat almost anything (I found this out a few weeks ago on I-5 @ Florence). Sure you won't beat a highly modded Banshee in a drag, but you'll darn sure out handle him in the dunes. Cannondale is a benchmark, fer sure. You can probably snag a great deal on a 2002 Speed. If you're interested in waiting for the Cannondale Glamis (dune setup: +2 swing arm/+2 A-arms/paddles)you'll most likely pay quite a bit more. Ride one for an bit.....you'll see.

Old 08-20-2002, 07:27 PM
Trailblazer

I dont know about in the dunes, but MX wise, i took (off the line) fully modded banshees, 250r's, 400ex's, and ds650's. There was 19 people in the class and i took them all off the line my first race, and it was stock them 3 weeks old.

2001 fx 400
American star a arms
rpm axle
*big gun exhaust*
graydon nerfs
douglas beadlocks
renthal bars
shaved fenders
custom ignition plate

Old 08-20-2002, 11:47 PM
Trailblazer

Get the Glamis when it is released, it is already set up for sand, and is based on the Speed.