KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

My new Cannondale. Impressions & complaints

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new Cannondale. Impressions & complaints

Well I finally got to take my Cannondale for a real ride today. I love it.

Engine: I love the power this thing makes, it seems like every gear is as strong as the last. I also love the Hydraulic Clutch, after I rode my Speed I got on my cousins 400 and it felt like a slow engaging power wheel. It definatly makes some weird noises, but I like the exhaust note.

Handling/Suspension: It handles great. It has great tires and it really hooks up. The rear suspension is stiff, but the front is ungodly stiff. I hit a jump about 8ft high and about 10ft long and the front suspension barely moved, I thought I broke my wrist. It also has excellent brakes. Its also a very comfortable ride......I think its more comfortable than my cousins 400 or my neigbors Raptor.

Complaints: Damn tranny drain bolt, stipped right apart[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]. Really easy to stall at low RPMs, doesnt like to Lug. maybe a heavier flywheel would help? towards the end of the day it stated wanting to stall and break-up, I think I may have fouled a plug, it could also be the fuel filter too tho. Also my graphics dont seem to have been put on correctly, they have bubbles and are starting to peel off. Also get awful fuel range, hopefully it will get better as the quad breaks in.

Overall: Best Damn Quad I have owned or ridden. It gonna make a great XC racer for me

Questions: When I get down low in the RPM or am going slower I hear some kind of clacking sound, cant tell if its the chain or just the motor trying not to stall out. Is this sound normal and what can I do to fix it?

Old 12-23-2002, 07:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

mine makes the crazy noises too at low speeds. its the engine, but i dont know what. ive learned to ignore it.

Old 12-23-2002, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

That is strange about the gas, mine will go for atleast an hour longer than my friends DS.

Old 12-23-2002, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

Well, like I said I only have maybe 5 hours on it.............so hopefully it will get better.

Old 12-23-2002, 08:43 PM
Range Rover

The motor does not like to be lugged, and if you do you will hear the chain slapping the swingarm slider. Fuel mileage has been excellent on mine. If you foul the plug more than once and are following the starting proceedure, then have your dealer adjust your fuel injector offset. He will probably reduce it by.10, from what it is set at currently. That helped me. Enjoy!

Oh yea, check that it idles at 2100-2200 rpm, 'cause it will stall alot if it is set too low and it will be harder to start when warm too.

Old 12-24-2002, 08:56 PM
Trailblazer

have you had any trouble finding neutral? i hear thats a problem with dales

Old 12-24-2002, 11:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Finding neutral is difficult on my cannibal when it is cold. Once it warms up, it isn't difficult at all.

Old 12-24-2002, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

It sounds like your idling screw backed out alittle. They do this over time. I'd increase the idling alittle, and it will solve the low RPM stalling. The slapping noise is your chain, mine does the same thing. The suspension takes about 30 hrs to break in. Put them at the softest setting so the shocks can go through their travel. You'll fall in love with it after awhile! And yes, the gas milage does get better with time.

They make a real nice GNCC quad. First thing you'll want to do though, change the rims. You'll flatten them like an egg...they're that soft.

Old 12-25-2002, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

I took it for alittle cruise in my woods today, just a little one maybe 10 minutes. I hit a larger root and put a nice dent in the front rim, Im gonna get either the Hipers or if I cant get my hands on them Im gonna be running Douglas Ultimates.

Old 12-25-2002, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

the noise you hear at low speeds is from the "straight cut" gears.. dont ask me what that means, but they supposedly offer better performance

Quick Reply: My new Cannondale. Impressions & complaints