KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Adelanto Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adelanto Grand Prix

Just got back for the Adelanto Grand Prix,

First off I had a blast and Stayed on my quad where others choose not to. God does answer prayers.

I ran the Beginers class and started in row 24. The pros where off, Dead engine starts. A couple didn't start and where pulled off.

Than the Inter/ Expert same thing some started some didn't, and where pulled off.

Beg/Nov was up, the Speed fired right up and i put her in second and took off around a couple of others that didn't start. About 200 yards to the first turn, Three or four got stuck in the first turn I went wide and came though clean. The dust was pretty bad and the whoops where a big factor. I'm still on stock suspension. I fell in behind some riders to feel my way around the track as I could hardly see. This started getting old breathing dust so I nailed it hung on for dear life and actually passed some people. So that's what it feels like to pass people. The track was about 15 wide in most places and really open up wider in some others. I settled down and just rode my race, which means slow enough to make it to work on Monday. Some of the whooped areas where very long and about 2-3 feet deep. I had to let the bars just shake in my hands so they didn't get ripped from my grip. Came around a turn onto a long staight that only had 6" bumps so I nailed it and I'm in 5th tapped out this ran onto some pavement to a left hand turn on the street and than back into the dirt. Not alot of people on the track next to me at this point.

I started to get more relaxed and sped up. Than came the MX secton of the track, huge berms and bad jumps and about 15 4' high whoops that I had to roll. I tried the first couple with speed and was hitting the face of the next one. Saw the big MUD jump from Huevos 5 and decided to stay in the whoops. Back around some large berms a double and three more berms to a choking point where you where scored. Passed a couple of people in a pile up right there and the first lap was done.

Than of course it all started over. I ran about a 1/3 of a lap with my camelback hose in my mouth. Only went off the track once and while there struggled to get my left grip back on. Should have fixed that first. Found a faster section off to the left this time which allowed me to pass about 5 guys. Back into the MX section. Scored the second lap.

Third lap I was feeling good and picked up the pace, I had forgotten my Kindey Belt in the trailer and was now paying for it. Need taller stem and thicker seat. Came into a area with three guys next to me. I punched it at the same time they did and it was to the wall until my stock suspension started to buck and I decided to FINISH the race not kill myself. Ended up in second to the start of the MX Section. Held the guys behind me off and than Daryl Patton blew by me, gave me a thumbs up and left. LAPPED Traffic. Scored third lap.

Fouth lap, my hands still have feelings, thats good. My back is killing me and my arms and legs are jello. Still maintaning a good pace and passed a couple more people. It was a war of attrition. Some Raptor went over his bars and was dragging himself off the track. Lots of quads DNF'd quite a few wrecks and pile ups. Smooth lap just like the last couple. I sat most of the way around and now understand the reason for the BIG SEATS. I could feel the plastic under the padding by the end. Came up on the MX section with a guy close enough to pass but he knew that and kept me back. Coming up to the scoring section and THANK GOD the checkered flag.

Great race I had a blast and can't wait for the next years.

WP, theoriginalsurfer and a couple of others where there as well. WP Suzuki has alot of cracks in his frame that where found in a pre-race inspection. I was amazed at the amount of Cannondales present at this race.

Gotta go.

Smitty

Old 02-24-2003, 02:01 AM
Trailblazer

NICE STORY! That one got the blood going [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Please post any pics you get from the race.

How long were the laps? How did you end up finishing in your class?

My first race is this coming weekend. Im pretty excited [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-24-2003, 05:21 AM
Pro Rider

i was there to photograph some of teh action.. i was kicking myself in the **** for not bringing my bike. next year is a DEFINITE to-do on my calender. i had a new camera so it took me a while to get used to the functions and delay. i did manage to get some movie clips of teh start... on the PRO's start there is a banshee coming by and you see that his ball-joint broke and as he passes by me the wheel assembly comes off.... makes for a great freeze frame. i sent them to mike330r and he should be updating the sandbros website soon

Old 02-24-2003, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

I finished 48 Out of a total of 81 with 6 DNF's (Did not Finish) in the Beg/Nov Class

Overall 131 out of 194 with 18 DNF's.

The blisters are still full of water so I'll be feeling them for awhile and the lower back is killing me.

Smitty

Old 02-24-2003, 09:43 PM
Range Rover

Good job Smitty. I was the guy with my son talking to you just before you started. I'll be out there next year. Let me know what you decide on the steering dampner. One of these day's we'll have to hook up for a ride. LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-25-2003, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

Sandfan,

Your's it at the shop now getting all of the update and some performance work right? It was alot of fun. We'll definatly have to hook up for a ride. Just say when. March is looking kinda booked up for now though.

Smitty

Old 02-25-2003, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider

Awesome Smitty! Way to Go. man i love a ridin story! Thanks![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-25-2003, 11:01 AM
Range Rover

Hey Smitty,

Yeh its me, Let me Know when your going out and we'll see if we can make it, we are trying for three trips in march, but may not have the dale back by the first trip.

Old 02-25-2003, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

Great story smitty! Glad you finished and glad your bike finished [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the pic's elsancho! They can be viewed HERE!

The movie titled "prostart.mpg" is the one with the balljoint breaking on the banshee. It's towards the end of the video. I found it amusing to watch it in slow motion frame by frame [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
WTG Yamaha!

Old 02-25-2003, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

Smitty your a trooper man!