Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Jarbidge, Nev -"The Shovel Brigade" (A trail issue must read)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2000, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Intro;
When I got home and fliped open the newspaper and read this, i just had to come back to work to post it.

Article from USA Today Wednesday July 7.

JARBIDGE, Nev. -- In a Fourth of July rally, hundreds of activists armed with picks and shovels converged on a remote outpost along the Idaho-Nevada border to open a road that has become a symbol of their frustration with the federal government.

The Shovel Brigade

Old 07-05-2000, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing, Steve; saw 'em on TV over the 4th.

I wonder what happens next? The Forest Service comes in with a bulldozer and closes the road again, after all the "protesters" have gone home?

Or, they leave the road open, arresting anyone using it as a trespasser?

The current administration holds all the cards in this game; if Clintonism stays in power, the "greener-than-thou" candidate (Gore) won't make things any better for off-road riding on public lands.

Oh, wait--I forgot! You SUPPORT Al Gore! Sorry.

Tree Farmer

Old 07-05-2000, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Please tell me that when Bush is elected...along with a Republican congress that "we" will NEVER have a road closing...That all public lands will open wide for us to use.Or is this just another trick,promising 4 wheel paradise for our vote!!
We"ll check back after the elections....Bill

Old 07-05-2000, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

While I'm not empowered to speak for George W. Bush, Bill450es, I will share what a Senate Committee Staffer told me: with a Republican administration, you will NOT have the illegal, unilateral, usurping of Congressional authority by the illegal designation of de-facto Wilderness (aka "Roadless") Areas by Executive Order of the Chief Executive (the "Wilderness Lite" scheme).

The Republican administrtion is committed to public use of public lands, not the absolute preservationism of the Goreian greens.

Honestly, Bill450es, would you expect more road closures under Gore or Bush?

Wait a minute! BILL450es? Bill? I mean, you're not, not actually . . .

Tree Farmer

Old 07-06-2000, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

What!!! Let me clear things up on my stance.

I in no way shape or form endorce Al Gore! nope,Nada No-F-ing way!! The man can't even find a suit that fits!!!
Don't get me started, Those are my views.

As for the road hurting the "Brown trout". I didn't ask to have those trout introduced. Get them back out of that river until enviromental impact studys can be done! That could take two or three years.

Old 07-06-2000, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider

O.K., Steve (trx430ex); thought I'd have a bit of fun with you after your "Tweedledee, Tweedledum" post (suggesting little difference between Bush & Gore).

I think you're right about the fish; the brown trout are merely red herrings (pun?) dragged across the trail to divert consideration of the real issues (e.g., whose land is it, anyway? stewardship or museum curation?).

Wolves have been re-introduced into sheep and cattle country; grizzlies are contemplated (with small numbers of consequent human fatalities considered "acceptable"); and in this case, non-native fish used to justify road closing, denying public access to public lands.

PETA decries rat slaughter; the "bird and bunny" people Disneyfy all manner of wildlife--expect, "Save the Mediterranean Fruit Fly" and "Reintroduce Cockroaches" campaigns next . . .

A lady at a Forest Service Public Workshop recently said, cutting down a tree (a renewable resource, actually) is MURDER!

More to come, especially if Mr. Gore, who has said he wants to eliminate the internal combustion engine, is elected, a very real possibility.

Tree Farmer

Old 07-07-2000, 05:53 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

I agree with ya tree farmer, stupid Gore is all for the Electric engine. What makes this a complete joke is that the cars need to be recharged! By a dirty COAL plant that makes 10X the pollution a catilist car does. My parents just picked up a TDI diesel VW Jetta and they are getting 55MPG hiway.