Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Registration issues...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004 | 06:57 PM
|
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default Registration issues...

For those of you that live in states that do not require your ATV to be registered, what sorts of weird issues have you come across? I just spent a week emailing Wisconsin to try and get permission to ride there. Since I live in Virginia, and VA does not register ATV's, Wisconsin wants me to register the machines in their state.

Did I mention part of that process is the collection of sales tax? Hey, I may look stupid, and act like it too, but the way I figure it, I already paid my sales tax in Virginia.. I sure as hell am not going to pay it again for one or two days worth of riding.

I don't mind paying an out of state temporary permit fee, as I feel that it goes to pay my share of trail upkeep, but having to register it is a bit much don't you think? Not to mention getting stopped by a trail warden, with an ATV registered in WI, my driver's license and title in Virginia... now I am not an expert, but something tells me that the officer is not going to like what he sees at first glance.... I've seen others have problems with autos in the same situation go to jail for it...

Hello Wisconsin...... you may be my birth state, but I'll take my vacation dollars somewhere more accomodating thank you very much....