Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

why not street legal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 05:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why not street legal?

So all you lucky guys who get to ride on the roads in arizona do yall use the stock ATV tires are do yall use somthing a little more street friendly?? I think my holeshots would wear out pretty quick.

Old 07-23-2004, 09:12 AM
Pro Rider

I think most of us use our knobby tires, but we mainly ride on the road to trailheads and such, or around the neighborhood. Every once in a while, I'll see some riding around town or on the freeway and they will be using their knobbys.

I found speed rated street tires fr 10" rims, mainly used for golf carts. I have been looking for DOT approved ATV knobbys but I don't think anyone makes them.

We need to start asking the ATV tire manufacturers to make street approved knobbys, much like dual sport motorcycle tires.

Old 07-23-2004, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

Is it possible to get a quad legal in the state of missouri? I was under the impression you could get them plated like a car.

Missouri Revised Statutes
Chapter 304
Traffic Regulations
Section 304.013

August 28, 2003

All-terrain vehicles, prohibited on highways, rivers or streams of this state, exceptions, operational requirements--special permits--prohibited uses--penalty.
304.013. 1. No person shall operate an all-terrain vehicle, as defined in section 301.010, RSMo, upon the highways of this state, except as follows:

(1) All-terrain vehicles owned and operated by a governmental entity for official use;

(2) All-terrain vehicles operated for agricultural purposes or industrial on-premises purposes between the official sunrise and sunset on the day of operation;

(3) All-terrain vehicles operated by handicapped persons for short distances occasionally only on the state's secondary roads when operated between the hours of sunrise and sunset;

(4) Governing bodies of cities may issue special permits to licensed drivers for special uses of all-terrain vehicles on highways within the city limits. Fees of fifteen dollars may be collected and retained by cities for such permits;

(5) Governing bodies of counties may issue special permits to licensed drivers for special uses of all-terrain vehicles on county roads within the county. Fees of fifteen dollars may be collected and retained by the counties for such permits.

2. No person shall operate an off-road vehicle within any stream or river in this state, except that off-road vehicles may be operated within waterways which flow within the boundaries of land which an off-road vehicle operator owns, or for agricultural purposes within the boundaries of land which an off-road vehicle operator owns or has permission to be upon, or for the purpose of fording such stream or river of this state at such road crossings as are customary or part of the highway system. All law enforcement officials or peace officers of this state and its political subdivisions or department of conservation agents or department of natural resources park rangers shall enforce the provisions of this subsection within the geographic area of their jurisdiction.

3. A person operating an all-terrain vehicle on a highway pursuant to an exception covered in this section shall have a valid operator's or chauffeur's license, except that a handicapped person operating such vehicle pursuant to subdivision (3) of subsection 1 of this section, but shall not be required to have passed an examination for the operation of a motorcycle, and the vehicle shall be operated at speeds of less than thirty miles per hour. When operated on a highway, an all-terrain vehicle shall have a bicycle safety flag, which extends not less than seven feet above the ground, attached to the rear of the vehicle. The bicycle safety flag shall be triangular in shape with an area of not less than thirty square inches and shall be day-glow in color.

4. No persons shall operate an all-terrain vehicle:

(1) In any careless way so as to endanger the person or property of another;

(2) While under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substance;

(3) Without a securely fastened safety helmet on the head of an individual who operates an all-terrain vehicle or who is being towed or otherwise propelled by an all-terrain vehicle, unless the individual is at least eighteen years of age.

5. No operator of an all-terrain vehicle shall carry a passenger, except for agricultural purposes.

6. A violation of this section shall be a class C misdemeanor. In addition to other legal remedies, the attorney general or county prosecuting attorney may institute a civil action in a court of competent jurisdiction for injunctive relief to prevent such violation or future violations and for the assessment of a civil penalty not to exceed one thousand dollars per day of violation.

Old 08-06-2004, 11:59 AM
Trailblazer

well heres a little update from mississippi. i've talked with yamaha, the local dealers, and the people in charge down here in mississippi. If i make all the modifications to my quad to make it street legal, all the same things that a motorcycle has, i have to take it and get it inspected by the highway patrol station or whatever the inspection stations are called. when i get it to pass inspection, i take that paper stating that it passed and my title to a yamaha dealer, and they put in a change of Title for me. Then after verifying that my quad is street legal and it's registered and insured, they'll send me a new title. An on-road title. then i can take that to the licensing department and get my quad registered just as if it were a motorcycle. and there are no laws in mississippi stating specificly that an atv cant be ridden on the road. so it's lookin pretty good. i'll keep everyone posted on the progress. you probably wont see it actually happen till next year because i'm going on deployment in october to guam. so there's going to be a 6 month hold on actually making it street legal. but i will have internet access over there, so i'll be online whenever i can.

Old 08-06-2004, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

Dude, take a surfboard. People talk of Hawaii and it's surf, but Guam has it beat hands down.

Have fun!

Old 10-18-2004, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

I asked the DMV here in Las Vegas Nevada, they told me that the solid rear axle on most atvs make them more unstable at high speeds, especially on a hard surface like asphalt, plus people just seem to hate us!! i just had the cops called on me in a neighborhood where it is almost a rule to have atleast one ohv in the garage!!

Old 10-18-2004, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: azsandrider
I'm glad I live in Az. Bought my new DS650 and went MVD to register it. The clerk asked me if I wanted the offroad registration (one time $12 fee) or on road registration ($135 per year + emmissions, although new vehicles don't actually have to be tested until 6 years - but you gotta pay anyway ? ) I choses on road registration. The clerk said to make sure I had the proper equipment, as the police will enforce the rules.

It is the MVDs role to do the paperwork and the police role to make sure its street legal. I have not ridden on the street yet as I need to get mirrors and a horn. I am also looking for DOT approved tires that will fit quad rims, and / or 13"-14" rims that will fit a DS650 bolt pattern to put small car tires on the quad.

For those back east who want to be street legal, the simple solution is move to AZ. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] You can be street legal, close to the desert & mountains for riding, & 4 hours from the dunes. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] No snow either, except in the mountains. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

No wait, we are full! Its really hot here!!! Stay away!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
just asking, what is a MVD?? isnt it DMV???

Old 10-23-2004, 03:10 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

It's the equal. Motor Vehicle Division.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 10-25-2004, 03:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

In west virginia as long as we have a horn and brake light we can ride ours an the road for ten miles that is a highway any other road for as long as we want. I think that is cool

Old 10-26-2004, 03:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Do you have any more info about making a quad street legal in texas? Do you know of anyone who has actually been able to get it insured and inspected?

Quick Reply: why not street legal?